My DirecTV HR10-250 to Mpeg4 upgrade nightmare - advice needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seanmcgpa

Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Advice needed - I have two HR10-250's in a self install I did years ago.

I live in downtown Philadelphia - "Center City" as well call it. When I originally ordered Directv in 2001, I had two installers come out that basically said :

"No way, you'll never get a dish on your roof."
"You'll never get a satellite signal in center city Philly."
"You'll never get an installer to go up there." ... etc etc.

Directv offered to send me the dish and multiswitch to do a self install - so I try it : I get a ladder off my third floor deck onto my 4th floor roof, mount a dish on my fireplace stack facing the southern sky, and viola! I have Directv. Later I upgrade to a HD dish, OTA Antenna, multiswitch - I did it all myself. I have enjoyed high def Directv for years.

Fast forward to July 2008 : multiple calls from Directv. They are switching to Mpeg4, I need to upgrade.

I schedule an installer who comes out, doesn't even COME inside the house, and says basically the SAME THINGS as they did 7 years ago: "You'll never get Mpeg4 in center city, you'll never get a dish up there, etc". I explain I already have Directv, I already have a dish, etc. No joy - he doesn't even apologize - just says he needs to "talk to someone", leaves and never comes back. No calls, no follow ups.

:mad:

Disgruntled, I call Directv, and the apathetic CSR bascially tells me "tough ****" and now I am furious - I call Comcast, make an appt for their crappy high def boxes. I go up, manually disassemble my dish, cables, multiswitches, and just called Directv to cancel service.

Now they tell me "of course I can get Mp4", but want to charge me for each Mpeg 4 DVR receiver. I *own* two HR10-250's, why would I pay for two leased units? Comcast will bring out two leased units and install the high def for FREE. She offers me some lame freebies, but I don't care about any of that : I shouldn't have to buy equipment that's leased when I am being forced to upgrade from owned equipment.

As far as asking them "how do I get an Mpeg4 dish and equipment if the installers won't install it?" The CSR tries to assure me that every installer can upgrade to the new system. "Not if they won't even come inside the house."

I am at my wits end with DirecTV, and am unsure what to do next. I called Comcast and put a hold on their installation - so now I have only OTA high def atm until I figure out what to do.

What should I do guys? Give it all up and take up reading? Go with crappy Comcast and wait for FIOS (years away).

I really appreciate some feedback, I am at a loss. Cheers.

Didn't you ever receive any phone calls from DirecTV to upgrade your HR10-250's to HR2X's and a new dish, bunches of folks (some that had even upgraded over a year ago did) did and it was for free?

Anyway, e-mail *********@directv.com, this gets you to the office of the president (but of course it's just a staff member), nicely summarize the problems, you want to stay with DirecTV and what can they do? Usually folks get a phone call in less then a day with some help. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My two "owned" HR10-250's were upgraded for no charge ($20 shipping on the second one) over the last year to year and a half. Granted I don't OWN the HR20-700's, but at least I have them for essentially the same monthly fee as what I was paying for the ones I really did own. Basically, it's a niceness thing. If you ask nicely and treat the CSR's politely, you are more likely to get free HD-DVR upgrades. As for the installation, even if you have to do it yourself, it sounds like you are capable. They should be able to drop ship the supplies at the same time that they drop ship the new boxes. And maybe even push for a discount on the overall charges since you would be doing the install yourself. :)

My two "owned" HR10-250's were upgraded for no charge ($20 shipping on the second one) over the last year to year and a half. Granted I don't OWN the HR20-700's, but at least I have them for essentially the same monthly fee as what I was paying for the ones I really did own. Basically, it's a niceness thing. If you ask nicely and treat the CSR's politely, you are more likely to get free HD-DVR upgrades. As for the installation, even if you have to do it yourself, it sounds like you are capable. They should be able to drop ship the supplies at the same time that they drop ship the new boxes. And maybe even push for a discount on the overall charges since you would be doing the install yourself. :)

Thanks for the reply. I'd be happy to install the dish myself - does Directv even offer to supply customers with the dish / multiswitch etc? From what I understand, I'd need a Slim line dish (I have the older dish), and a SWM-8... but only contractors / installers can get that equipment?

Correct me if I am wrong, I am not 100% sure of how the new system works. I have searched around for an installation FAQ but haven't found one (with a diagram, for instance) that helps me understand what self installation involves.

They should be able to send you the dish and receivers via FedEx/DHL/UPS and the SWM is most likely going to be a 'buy it yourself" purchase. If you arent' adding any additional receivers, you can use the wires already installed. The HR10-250's you have already should have 2 wire run to each (plus OTA). But if you want the SWM, I think I have seen others posting a price of around $100-150 for the SWM. For the dish and receivers you may need to find a local satellite supplier/retailer if D* doesn't offer to send those to you. Not sure on their policy for self-installs and offering any phone or printed support for the install. But the guided setup on the receiver will give you the angles for setting the dish. So make sure you have a good level to make sure the mast is perfectly vertical and all the other measurements are based off of that (azimuth, angle, tilt). You will need someone to communicate with you from inside for tweaking the signal unless you get a signal meter (prices ranging from $50-250).

Hope that helps...good luck and keep us posted. :)

I feel for the OP here. DirecTV sends out crap installers that don't give a rip about you, your equipment or your home. Later I will post my nightmare install recently and bottom line is I canceled my order and asked him to leave. They don't know jack but want you to think they do and don't care enough to take to time to talk or work it out no matter what the case you have is for installing.

I strongly advise doing like you have been and do it yourself. Not only will you end up with a better install but you will be happier since you will learn about things as you go. Here is what I do -

Don't worry if you are not 100% level, I know it helps but get your cables ran and receiver up and running. Then get some 2 way FMS type family/hiking walkie talkies. You should be able to get a signal where you are with the right pole and angle I would think. As the other poster said, you may have to pay for your multi-switch and some other parts, but I think you can do what you want just fine and forget what the others tell you. It may require a little work, but you certainly will beat anything they can or will do.

Hope things work out.

Good luck getting DirecTV to ship you the stuff for you to do your own install. They wouldn't ship it to me, and insisted that a tech had to come out and do it.

From what the OP described as his situation, I wouldn't have installed it either and here's why:

1) Your current setup is mounted to your chimney, and DirecTV doesn't allow chimney mounts with the slimline dish. You didn't mention what your chimney stack is made of, so I'm assuming brick/mortar.

2) You may feel comfortable using a ladder from your third floor deck to get to your fourth floor roof, but most installers won't do that. It is a safety issue for them, and we're not going to get hurt or killed just to get you TV.

You do not need a SWM-8. Most likely, you would get a WB6x8 multiswitch instead (which is a lot cheaper to purchase).

I did get my equipment from DirecTV after talking with one of the SUPERVISORS there. It's not a big deal like some people/DirecTV installers lead you to believe. Also, for me personally, no one is as good since I am an IT guy and I have custom wiring in my place that would be way over anyone else not an IT to explain.

Also, I know many people with nice homes that won't begin to allow a service person to come in and track through their home, do wiring or possibly scratch their stuff. That's why they PAY someone to do it and have a service area where this is done. From everyone I have ever dealt with rather DirecTV or DISH service installers, they are FAR from being anywhere close to professional and treat your home like dirt and your equipment even worse.

Do it yourself or pay a pro to do it and you will be much happier and have a lot nicer install. Just my personal advice and what I have seen first hand, that's all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)