My DirecTV installation horror story

Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinmike87

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
A couple weeks back, I made an appointment for yesterday for the installation of the new slimline dish. The appointment was for a crew to be there between 12 and 4. Let's just say it didn't quite work out that way.

At about 3 PM, not having heard a word on it, I checked online at D* to make sure of the appointment. Oddly enough, it showed it as a morning appointment. I figured I better call them to see what was up. The CSR told me it was indeed an afternoon appointment, and they had conformed it with a phone call the previous evening. This was a lie that was proven by my callerid records that showed zero phone calls that evening. And nobody had been on the phone either. But he said a tech should still be coming.

I little while later, I get a call from some outfit called Pemier Communications asking if I had heard from the technician. Nope. The guy said he would try to contact the tech and gave me a number to call if I didn't.

Come 4PM, I still hadn't heard anything, so I called. Their idiot switchboard operator put me into oblivion. I tired again and the same thing happened.

Next, I called D* back. They had no answers, but did give me a $100 credit for the late appointment. That placated me only slightly, as I was now steamed at the total confusion.

At about 6 PM, nobody had yet showed up. At this point, I called D* back again and told them it was too late. I wasn't about to have a tech out there at 9 PM putting a dish in. They connected me with Premier, who then contacted their "team leader." He was apologetic, asking what he could do to make it right. I told him there wasn't much he could do. He offered to send a guy out first thing this morning, but I said I can't do that due to work. So they have now rescheduled for exactly at 4 PM today. We'll see.

Sad thing is, this all could have been avoided. The reason for the problem was that their tech apparently broke his hand in the morning, and they called in a backup. The tech was supposed to call me and let me know he might be a little late, but he never did. No communication whatsoever. Had they called and explained the situation, or even told me when I first called in, I would have understood. Accidents happen. But not once until the very end was anything explained, and by that point I was too upset to really give a crap why it happened.

Lousy, lousy service by D* and Premier Communications.

I got no complaints About our local installers. They are a well known company ,and you can depend on them.Directv installers are all subcontractors,it just depends on how good they are in your area.

You're not the only one that has had problems with installation and I can guarantee won't be the last either. My first installation was supposed to be a slimline dish and upgrade to the HR20. The guy arrived on time, great, but he didn't have the dish! And then looking at where he would install the dish if he had it, he wasn't really sure so then he called to tell them I would need to reschedule and then left without being able to give me the HR20 at least.

So this past Friday's 8am-12pm appointment comes and I get a call from the installer at 9am. He's got the dish this time but they ran out of HR20's! What??? I could have had one last time if that previous installer had left the HR20. He said they're "supposed" to be getting more in that day and he would check later. Turns out later he shows up at 4pm and actually does have both. Then even though the work order shows he's supposed to bring a pole for the dish, he said that would be an extra charge. I argued about that and got it for nothing.

I eventually got everything installed but this local company D* only works with really is horrible, just like your Premier.

A couple weeks back, I made an appointment for yesterday for the installation of the new slimline dish. The appointment was for a crew to be there between 12 and 4. Let's just say it didn't quite work out that way.

At about 3 PM, not having heard a word on it, I checked online at D* to make sure of the appointment. Oddly enough, it showed it as a morning appointment. I figured I better call them to see what was up. The CSR told me it was indeed an afternoon appointment, and they had conformed it with a phone call the previous evening. This was a lie that was proven by my callerid records that showed zero phone calls that evening. And nobody had been on the phone either. But he said a tech should still be coming.

I little while later, I get a call from some outfit called Pemier Communications asking if I had heard from the technician. Nope. The guy said he would try to contact the tech and gave me a number to call if I didn't.

Come 4PM, I still hadn't heard anything, so I called. Their idiot switchboard operator put me into oblivion. I tired again and the same thing happened.

Next, I called D* back. They had no answers, but did give me a $100 credit for the late appointment. That placated me only slightly, as I was now steamed at the total confusion.

At about 6 PM, nobody had yet showed up. At this point, I called D* back again and told them it was too late. I wasn't about to have a tech out there at 9 PM putting a dish in. They connected me with Premier, who then contacted their "team leader." He was apologetic, asking what he could do to make it right. I told him there wasn't much he could do. He offered to send a guy out first thing this morning, but I said I can't do that due to work. So they have now rescheduled for exactly at 4 PM today. We'll see.

Sad thing is, this all could have been avoided. The reason for the problem was that their tech apparently broke his hand in the morning, and they called in a backup. The tech was supposed to call me and let me know he might be a little late, but he never did. No communication whatsoever. Had they called and explained the situation, or even told me when I first called in, I would have understood. Accidents happen. But not once until the very end was anything explained, and by that point I was too upset to really give a crap why it happened.

Lousy, lousy service by D* and Premier Communications.

There are many stories like yours about poor communications between the install company and the customer. Unfortunately, it happens too often. Don't blame D* here, as the fault lies with the install company. Don't blame the tech either, after all, he only does the installs. Although I would be tempted to take it out on them, too, don't do it! :) Good luck on your install, I hope all goes well.

There are many stories like yours about poor communications between the install company and the customer. Unfortunately, it happens too often. Don't blame D* here, as the fault lies with the install company. Don't blame the tech either, after all, he only does the installs. Although I would be tempted to take it out on them, too, don't do it! :) Good luck on your install, I hope all goes well.

Why shouldn't I blame D*? They hire these pathetic subcontractors. That is indeed their own fault.

Why am I guessing today's install will be a clusterf%#k? They have already called and the "promised" 4-5 PM time has already slipped to 5 -6. And from reading the above, I am guessing they won't have the proper pole. And I'm guessing they will be clueless when I tell them I want my OTA antenna run to my HR20 so I can watch subchannels and not worry about rain fade.

Yeah right! See this one.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/103898-911-help-horrible-install-happening-now.html

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said that most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

This was D* and not the installer. He sat on my couch while all this was going on.

D* told me that NY and Texas were two different systems and they can't talk to each other. While they were looking for the authentic WO, they cancelled the order they came with, so the installer couldn't do anything.

My equipment is in NY...ready to be installed at my old address. This install set up three weeks ago. That's plenty of time.

And then, while re-doing the WO, they went back on the deal we negociated and were going to charge me for all the DVR's.

Finally, I found a floor supervisor who wouldn't let the install happen today, but gave me back my deal.

I told him all of this was set up and ready to go 3 WEEKS ago, I got a call Friday going down the list of equipment that was coming. 3 calls on Saturday, two yesterday reminding me to be here , and one this morning. Apparently it was my fault that I didn't ask if this was for TX or NY. As this was part of the mover's program, I thought they would know where I was leaving and where I was going.

The installer offered to go get a new dish, but with the original wrong WO cancelled, he couldn't do anything. So he left. There was never anything to sign.

I have never seen anything like this ...ever. TX and NY can't talk to each other? It's like DTV is not one company, but comprised of little cells. Or the CIA not sharing information with the FBI.

WOW. WOW. WOW.

Jerry K, why didn't you post this information in the thread you started about this?

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said that most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Listen, I could have gone crazy on everyone but I didn't. I was trying to make what D* would happen today-happen.

Chip, this is NOT my fault. And when I take off work to be here and they show up with a WO to install the same equipment I had 3 three years ago,
please tell how I'm suppose to be "happy." A D10?

If I operated my business this way, I'd be out of it soon. If it were me, I would have offered to stay here until midnight if nessesary to make the customer happy.

I could have yelled...I could have told the installer to get off my couch, but I didn't.

Please tell me Chip, what I'm to be happy as make up my mind to be,

Jerry K, why didn't you post this information in the thread you started about this?

Because it was happening at the time. I was on hold or talking on the phone, while I was typing, hoping some could offer a suggestion.

Because it was happening at the time. I was on hold or talking on the phone, while I was typing, hoping some could offer a suggestion.

I made the comment because your post is a continuation of your original thread and not this one. It is out of place and hard to follow if you didn't read your other thread.

Actually we need to straighten out install contract companies versus the actually company of DirecTV; they are totally separate from each other; AND likely what the installer was saying is that his said install contractor in TX and NY are also very separate and do not communicate with each other. THIS is totally correct.

I made the comment because your post is a continuation of your original thread and not this one. It is out of place and hard to follow if you didn't read your other thread.

And THAT is because I just got off the phone with them setting up another install date. With the correct equipment.

My apologies for posts being out of place. I was looking for some help..an idea.

Believe me, I'll keep this to myself from now on.

And THAT is because I just got off the phone with them setting up another install date. With the correct equipment.

My apologies for posts being out of place. I was looking for some help..an idea.

Believe me, I'll keep this to myself from now on.

Don't keep things to yourself. That is not what my post was about.

Actually we need to straighten out install contract companies versus the actually company of DirecTV; they are totally separate from each other; AND likely what the installer was saying is that his said install contractor in TX and NY are also very separate and do not communicate with each other. THIS is totally correct.

The installer was great....a witness to all of this He would have installed anything I asked if he could get permission to do it.

The seperate systems....they told me...is in the mover's program.

Listen, I could have gone crazy on everyone but I didn't. I was trying to make what D* would happen today-happen.

Chip, this is NOT my fault. And when I take off work to be here and they show up with a WO to install the same equipment I had 3 three years ago,
please tell how I'm suppose to be "happy." A D10?

If I operated my business this way, I'd be out of it soon. If it were me, I would have offered to stay here until midnight if nessesary to make the customer happy.

I could have yelled...I could have told the installer to get off my couch, but I didn't.

Please tell me Chip, what I'm to be happy as make up my mind to be,

I was actually responding to penquinmike, but it applies to you as well. I am not blaming you or him in any way, but you both seem like the type of people that bring this sort of thing on yourselves. I have found that my own attitude about things in general has a lot to do with how things go in my life. This is my experience. YMMV.

I was actually responding to penquinmike, but it applies to you as well. I am not blaming you or him in any way, but you both seem like the type of people that bring this sort of thing on yourselves. I have found that my own attitude about things in general has a lot to do with how things go in my life. This is my experience. YMMV.

I brought this on myself?

LOLOOLOL....ok....I'm busting out the Patron. Would you like some?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)