My FIOS Internet/Phone Install

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
Well, today is my FIOS install. Installer showed up around 9:30am. Immediately noticed there was no buried cable. He spent about 30-45 min's on the phone and finally got everything straightened out, and got the authorization to bury the wire.

Then he hooked up the new stuff (outside box, inside box, battery pack, modem, network cable run, etc) including replacing my 1970's wire terminals with a modern plastic phone line connector thingie. :)

He then ran a 400' fiber patch cable around my house, the neighbors house and into the FIOS block on the street.

So far, no phone or internet, but there is signal on the fiber. Go figure. And if you call my house right now, there is some message like not a valid phone number.

Anyways, after a while of being on the phone he left around 4:30pm (7 HOURS LATER!!!), promising to be back later.

So now I got a call saying he's going to the CO and called in the "fiber expert" because they believe there is a problem at the CO now. (Originally they thought it was a cut fiber down the street, but that has been since fixed).

So, stay tuned. Hopefully I will have phone and/or internet this evening. heh. The installer was actually real nice, and did a great job (very clean) with hooking up the in-home equipment.

UPDATE 5/17: Won't be completed tonight. Tech will call tomorrow morning, and forward our home phone to our cell phone.

UPDATE 5/18: No success. Waiting on "engineering" to fix a bad port setting at the CO. (ie: my FIOS ONT is linked to someone elses CO port!). No ETA on when this will be fixed. However, they did successfully forward our home phone to the cell phone.

UPDATE 5/19: Still no success. They did bury the cable to my house, tho. They claim its a computer problem that the computers wont accept the change to the CO, so my entire CO if F-d up! Supposedly, someone in Texas is working on it now.

UPDATE 5/20: Still nothing new. The tech said they probably don't work weekends, so not to expect anything until Monday at the earliest.
Online this is what it says:

No further updates at this point! We still expect your order to be completed on the date due.
More Info Order Information & Product Guide(s)

Due Date: 12/31/1999

Completion Date:

Order Date: 05/08/2006

Order Type: Change in Service

Appointment Time: 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

Online Order? Yes

UPDATE 5/22: Still no phone or internet. Engineering team in Texas couldn't fix the problem! I'm not sure whats happening now.

-John

Last edited:
It might be a hassle, but FIOS is definitely worth it.
15/2 here... I'll never go back to Mediacom (yuck yuck yuck)!
Can't wait for FIOS TV so I can dump Dish. Hopefully it's here soon.

Well, looks like our entire neighborhood was setup incorrectly at the main box. So, they had to cancel 5 other orders that were placed and redo them as well! Sounds like they might have it all fixed by this afternoon, tho...

-John

jgantert said:
Well, looks like our entire neighborhood was setup incorrectly at the main box. So, they had to cancel 5 other orders that were placed and redo them as well! Sounds like they might have it all fixed by this afternoon, tho...

-John
I sure hope resolve the problem...would love to read your review.

I got lucky and reached one of my contacts in Florida who knows a person in Boston who just called me within minutes. First I've never seen any company (managers) both get and make calls this quick. So this is the problem below.

When they update their database of FIOS ready customers they reserve specific slots at the upgraded CO so when an order is placed by address the workorder that goes to the CO shows the slot number to connect. Also all hardware such as boxes, modems and ONTs are auto mapped to this same slot as well. Well I've been told that about 20 or so streets that became FIOS ready in your area were entered in correctly and they think a bug in the software that assigns each address with a CO slot is screwing everything up. They have wiped these streets from the database and entered them in again but the software is still assigning the slot within the CO but not linking it correctly or at least that is what I'm told. They are working on it as this happened in Texas but the fix for Texas isn't working so they are still trying to figure out what is going on.

So right now "your" slot within the CO is assigned but all of your hardware is being linked to another slot that is being used by another customer or not being used at all. Also they cannot just give you another slot because they only have room and software to have one slot per customer. So your modem and boxes for example are looking for authorization, IP address or whatever from a specific slot that isn't sending that information out. I hope you understand its much more complex than this but I don't have time nor am I sure I could fully understand this quickly all the extra details of this issue. With a cable company this would never be an issue because this stuff can be done and sent down a hub until it hits the box but because you have and need a dedicated connection to the CO that only your dedicated slot can handle your services.

Sorry I can't give you better news but they are working on this as your one of about 30 customers waiting for service to be tuned on. Also this issue has also caused another 15 customers to cancel their orders so you can be sure as heck they want this fixed ASAP.

Edit...just curious but does your address have numbers. For example 3645 158th Steet N. or does it have a name such as 3645 Adam St. I would like to know this as my contact is telling me that this issue is many a big problem with number type streets for some reason.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)