My first look at the Optoma HD70 DLP Projector:

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
First keep in mind that when looking at the pictures of the wall with the NESN game on it looks far better in person compared to the picture. I will work more with lighting with my digital camera.

So I went into my local Circuit City store and price matched the price at Best Buy. So I ended up getting this unit for a net upfront cost of 774.00. I'm also going to buy the extended warranty for 145 bucks as it will extend the unit warranty from 2 years to 4 years. But the key feature of the extended warranty is that it covers one free bulb replacement which is valued at 300 bucks. The bulb only has a 30 day warranty and it will burn out before the four years is up so I consider the warranty a very good investment on my part.

Now I'm not one of those people who will expect crazy good detail but I'm comparing the picture quality of this set with all my past HDTV sets I've owned including my current 26" LCD HD set. So I'm going to sum up my first look in a very short way below.

The Optoma HD70 fed via HDMI to a Motorola 3416 HD DVR from Comcast without a doubt has surprised me. I'm using a white wall (yes no screen yet) to project the image on from the HD70. I've watched many HD channels including live Red Sox games via NESN HD and all I can say is WWWWWWOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. I've setup the Optoma to display about 90 inches of viewable screen area and NESN looks "just" as good as it does on my puny old 26" LCD set. The picture looks very sharp and detailed at 10 feet away and looks just as good at 5 feet away.

Now yes some who expect perfection can find much better at a much higher cost. But I expect very good picture quality "but" I don't notice perfection as much as others. But for a Joe Six Pack who would tend to buy the cheapest set he/she can afford I believe you just cannot regret this specific purchase.

The only drawback with this unit (most projectors suffer this issue) is that outside lights (sun light) makes it very ummm bad. But if you can block out most outside sunlight you will be fine with indoor lighting. Just get the balance of enough light so you can see your way around but not much more than that for the best quality.

I'm going to say this much that for the rest of my life I'll never watch TV (HDTV even more so) at anything less than 90 inches of screen. I think these front projectors are only going to go down in cost and if the results via a white wall without a screen stay the same I'll never go back to anything less ever. Hey once you go big you'll never go back lol.:D

Again keep in mind that my pictures are very crappy but they will give you a decent idea but don't worry you can expect much better pictures in the coming weeks I promise.

Attachments

• DSCF0048.JPG
    DSCF0048.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF0049.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF0050.JPG
    DSCF0050.JPG
    558.9 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0051.JPG
    DSCF0051.JPG
    591.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCF0052.JPG
    DSCF0052.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0053.JPG
    DSCF0053.JPG
    554.6 KB · Views: 210
I'm quite happy with my HD70. Excellent price and performance. HD is beautiful at 7.5 feet diagonal!

Here are a few pics from my HD70 at 90 inches:

IMGP2031.jpg

100_0821.jpg

ambientLight2.jpg

Nice shots; I have a buddy looking for a budget entry model in the FPTV arena; what price point, what is the native resolution, what do replacement lamps run and how is its operating temp?

Nice shots; I have a buddy looking for a budget entry model in the FPTV arena; what price point, what is the native resolution, what do replacement lamps run and how is its operating temp?

Lately, the HD70 has been about $700 to $900, depending on where you get one. It is a 720P device capable of receiving up to 1080p/24 and downrezzing. Replacement lamps run about $280 but just buy the 3 year/$99 lamp warranty and save $180 right there. I have mine ceiling mounted in a 12 x 12 room and after a few hours the temp might be a degree warmer but its not like the old days with the blast furnace that projectors used to run. Other PJs in the same class are the Mitsubishi HC1500, Epson Home Cinema 400, Sony VPL-AW15, BenQ W500, and Panasonic AX100. These others run just a little above or below $1,000 and have similar performance. The Mits(DLP) and Panny(LCD) are brighter which can help with ambient light issues. The Epson, BenQ, and Sony are LCDs with more flexible mounting options. The BenQ has the Reon chipset which does a great job processing less than HD signals to make then watchable.

Check this deal at Visual Apex - with rebate, $749, several includes like warranty, etc...
Optoma HD70 Optoma Projectors

Pj

$800 will get you a nice projector now. I almost bought the HD70, but bought the Mits. HD1000 instead. They're great 720p projectors for the money.

Just wanted to give an update that I got my Optoma $200 mail-in rebate around the middle of October or right around 4 weeks after I mailed it. This is one product I have no regrets at all about buying. If anything I'm still a bit upset I didn't do this years ago.:(

I will say that this unit after being in use from noon until midnight Sunday does tend to get hot but the picture looks great without any issues and as of yet the unit has "never" shut itself off.

Soon I will post many better pictures for those of you who might be looking into buying one of these for the holidays.

Yeah, $1200 to $1500 will get you a nice PJ these days but I can't bring myself to pay more than $1K for a tv...

you get what you pay for (usually).

Longhong, get those windows covered to make the room BLACK (zero light entry). I bet this would increase your contrast ratio by about 20-25 %.

you get what you pay for (usually).

Longhong, get those windows covered to make the room BLACK (zero light entry). I bet this would increase your contrast ratio by about 20-25 %.

Everything was dark it was just that I needed to RTFM for my digital camera because it got stuck in a mode that made horrid pictures. I do however agree that getting rid of all light makes one heck of a difference.:D

Just turn off the flash on your camera. ;)

I love my Optoma HD70. I have a rather large theater room in my basement that gets 120" viewable screen on a wall that I sit about 12' back from.

Runs the HD-DVD through HDMI, the xbox 360 through VGA, and the HR20 D* box through component, and automatically detects whichever one is powered up. Very easy to use, just hit power.

Picture is great. I run everything at 720p, so I can't speak for the downcovert of 1080 stuff, but my eyes have never been good enough to tell the difference.

Here's to hoping my bulb lasts 10 years :)

Just wanted to give an update that I got my Optoma $200 mail-in rebate around the middle of October or right around 4 weeks after I mailed it. This is one product I have no regrets at all about buying. If anything I'm still a bit upset I didn't do this years ago.:(

I will say that this unit after being in use from noon until midnight Sunday does tend to get hot but the picture looks great without any issues and as of yet the unit has "never" shut itself off.

Soon I will post many better pictures for those of you who might be looking into buying one of these for the holidays.

Congratulations! Glad to hear it worked out for you! I've painted a neutral gray screen right on my wall for a screen and the picture has really benefited from it!

NFLHD-EF06-Ambient.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)