my future FTA setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willie8605

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Oklahoma
Okay, so I have finally decided (mostly) on what I want my FTA setup to look like by this time next year.

Let me know what you all think!

Attachments

• dwg1.gif
    dwg1.gif
    26 KB · Views: 218
I don't know about anything that is lower on the page than your 22K switch (me = PC-DVB card challenged ;) ), but if I was doing it I'd trade 123W for 125W (if you can get the 4 degree spacing). :)

Yeah, I have been debating that one. I would like to have 123W for the Research Channel and University of Washington TV, but I would also like to pick up 125W. I think that 125W probably has more content that everyone in the house would like, so I'll probably do as you suggested and aim at 125W. I have read about people getting the 4 degrees of separation working right on the P* dish I have so I think it's doable. I have been promised a dish from work that is supposed to be taken down when they redo the roof, but it keeps raining so they haven't been working on it. It looks fairly big, and the maintenance guy said he thinks it is 4 or 5 feet across, so I may end up having a mini bud and playing with some C-band stuff, too. But, I'm still not sure on the size of it; it's too far up to really tell.

Of course I was assuming you would be HD-capable with your PC-card setup, I believe several of the PBS channels on 125W are HD.

That would be great to score a free 4'-5' commercial offset dish, nice mini-BUD possibilities there.

- that upper part of the drawing looks familiar

I have read about people getting the 4 degrees of separation working right on the P* dish I have so I think it's doable.
I'm sure there are a myriad of threads where that is discussed.
But remember, that's with a standard diameter LNB.
If you find yourself in a corner, there's always the SatAV solution, the GeoSat Mini (think they call it the Bullet).
Comes in single or double output, if that's a concern.
. . . and some have even ground down those, when necessary! - :eek:

But regardless, the longer the focal length, the easier it is to get two birds which are close to each other.

No more rain until next weekend and these low humidity 85 degree days with 60 degree mornings are something to take advantage of. Very nice for tuning the dishes.

On another note, I will be down that way next weekend. My nephews team opens the football season at Stillwater next week, so I forsee a trip to Joe's:D and my old college haunts, if I can get down there early enough. Dang work getting in the way again. Have to check out what T. Boone's money have bought us.:eek: Too bad its not the following week for the Georgia game.

Yeah, that setup should work fine for HD and AC-3 stuff. And you're right about that mini-BUD; I can't wait to get it! The weather has been really nice the past few days, but unfortunately (for this hobby) the school semester has started and with it my senior design class has started. This class is going to take A LOT of time away from everything else and will leave me little time to tinker with my satellites :( . That's why I want to have the setup done by this time next year, not in the next couple of months. I snagged an old DirecTV AT9 dish, but I'm really thinking about trying to get another P* dish like the one I have. It's much easier to work with those composite dishes and they work really well for FTA. I think a guy at work may be able to hook me up. I'll update on the mini-BUD dish when I get it and post some pics. We do a lot of work for the DoD and I saw that the dish still has an LNB on it so I'm really curious to see what it is.

osu1991 - If you haven't been around campus in awhile you will notice a lot of changes. The facilities have gotten really nice around campus, but since things are always under construction, they block off parking lots and finding a spot to park really sucks. check out some of the academic buildings if you have time, too. There have been a lot of renovations and additions to many of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)