My future with Dish

Since you mentioned spectrum TV, I can through in 2 cents of info. The TV is OK, but the DVR is a TOTAL pile of crap. If you record many of your shows you are going to miss most with a two channel recorder!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Since you mentioned spectrum TV, I can through in 2 cents of info. The TV is OK, but the DVR is a TOTAL pile of crap. If you record many of your shows you are going to miss most with a two channel recorder!
Charter's DVRs have been crap for many years. It was the reason I switched to DISH TV in 2007.

Reactions: HipKat
Do they still offer the features that Time Warner Cable used to offer way back when I had them: Start Over and Look Back? With Start Over, you could tune to a channel in the middle of a show, and use this feature to start watching it from the beginning. The Look Back feature gave you access to the previous three days worth of shows from channels with the feature. Keep in mind that I had access to these features on a non-DVR receiver, along with all of their other VOD content. So, they seem to want viewers to rely on VOD to catch their favorite shows, instead of recording a lot of things. The advantage (like I said) is that you could get VOD without paying any DVR fee. (Dish has since matched that ability with the Wally.) The drawback was that if you used those VOD features, fast-forwarding was disabled for most shows.

My parents just switched back from DirecTV to Spectrum. They got 2x 2-tuner DVRs. They describe the functionality as "kind of unreliable."

My parents just switched back from DirecTV to Spectrum. They got 2x 2-tuner DVRs. They describe the functionality as "kind of unreliable."

Did they know that you do not need a cable box with Spectrum anymore, they do a app on a Roku and/or Apple TV, full DVR features and guide, works better then their STB from what I heard, also no box fees and if they have it in more then one room, no fee also, just one DVR fee.

Who do you use?

I just bought a house in a Spectrum only Area(Florida) and I was very pleased with the install, since I ordered 1g speed they had to replace something on the pole ( needed a Truck with a lift, which he called for once he discovered that he needed to replace whatever it was, Truck was there in 20 minutes), run a new line to my house and rebury the line and they completed everything in the 2 hour timeframe I was given for install.

Comcast at my house in Michigan, ran the orange wire across my backyard from the Green Box, left it and refused to come back out to bury it, I did it myself.
I use our local telephone company. If I switch I would need to change my email address.

Did they know that you do not need a cable box with Spectrum anymore, they do a app on a Roku and/or Apple TV, full DVR features and guide, works better then their STB from what I heard, also no box fees and if they have it in more then one room, no fee also, just one DVR fee.

I doubt it. I might have them try it when their promotional discount expires. Of course, Spectrum internet isn't particularly reliable in their tiny Upstate NY village. Better than Frontier DSL, but still not great, so the STBs might actually be better in their case.

I doubt it. I might have them try it when their promotional discount expires. Of course, Spectrum internet isn't particularly reliable in their tiny Upstate NY village. Better than Frontier DSL, but still not great, so the STBs might actually be better in their case.

Charter/Spectrum has been great for me in the new house, speed is as advertise, no drops, and they went above and beyond for the install.

Now I knew better then using their router ( super underpowered and no range), using 3 Netgear Nighthawk X12, wired is always above 900, wireless in every part of the house is 500-600.

Charter/Spectrum has been great for me in the new house, speed is as advertise, no drops, and they went above and beyond for the install.

Now I knew better then using their router ( super underpowered and no range), using 3 Netgear Nighthawk X12, wired is always above 900, wireless in every part of the house is 500-600.

It is pretty good where I live too, but my parents really only get around 50Mbps these days. Up from the 30Mbps they were getting, but still not what most of the country gets.

Reactions: pattykay
I was a 20 year Dish customer and cut the cord earlier this year. Fox Sports was the game breaker. I went Hulu Live and like the service. Besides the programming being cheaper, I no longer have to pay the additional receiver fees.

Basically, I have Hulu Live, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, Disney +, and Apple TV for 60% of what I paid before. I’m about ready to cut the stream on some of these channels as well...

I was a 20 year Dish customer and cut the cord earlier this year. Fox Sports was the game breaker. I went Hulu Live and like the service. Besides the programming being cheaper, I no longer have to pay the additional receiver fees.

Basically, I have Hulu Live, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, Disney +, and Apple TV for 60% of what I paid before. I’m about ready to cut the stream on some of these channels as well...
Without a unified guide....meh

Reactions: navychop
We had satellite (either Directv or Dish) since 1995, with Dish being our provider for the last 11 years, and overall Dish has the best DVR system and UI of anything we've used. Had a cross country move and switched to Youtube TV (+ Philo) to get all the channels we wanted (including the RSNs for this area.) The intent was to resign up with Dish once we bought a new house down here.

We've got a new house, but we've gotten used to Youtube TV. The unlimited DVR is nice, and they keep recordings for 9 months (the DVR specifics have been an issue for us for other streaming providers as we watch 90% recorded.) My wife LOVES that she can move any one of our TVs anywhere in the house at any time without any problem (she wanted to move our small TV from the sunroom to the kitchen in our previous house but I told her the kitchen isn't wired for Dish.) I love that it's month to month, you can cancel any time with no penalty if you want to try a new service and then reconnect within a minute later if you so choose.

I DON'T like the interface of YTTV after decades of satellite. But we've learned it and don't worry about it now. We have 1 gig internet so that's no problem. We chose not to reinstall Dish because there's no plan for the RSNs to come back and Charlie's business model seems to be losing channels permanently and thus cutting his costs/increasing his profits, which is fine, it's his business to do what he thinks best. But our #1 priority is getting all the channels we want vs. "learning to live without (insert channels here)" and it's not like the Dish pricing has dropped as a result. But again, even if it did, our priority is getting the channels we want. Which is why we combined YTTV and Philo (though YTTV has recently added some of the key channels we were subbing to Philo to get so we may drop that.)

FWIW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)