My future with Dish

spacenerd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Wapakoneta, Ohio
I have been a Dish customer for 7-8 years and have loved the technology and channel selection. In the past year things have changed. Still great technology but no Sports Time Ohio , Fox Sports Ohio, no NFL Network and no WHIO CBS out of Dayton. To watch the Cincinnati Reds, NFL Network and other sports channels I now have HULU Live ($55.00 a month). Plus my Dish bill. Dish did give me a nice discount until the end of the year but still cost more to get the channels I watch and that deal ends soon.
I am looking for suggestion. I have not seen to many good reviews on Direct TV. I cannot easily integrate local channels with Hulu and do not like their channel guide. Really don't like the idea of going back to cable especially Spectrum.

Any thoughts?
John

Reactions: pattykay
What are your alternatives? Do you have good/great Internet service? Any caps?

You could try going thru some free YT videos to see if that is entertainment enough. Or do you need certain programming (sports) that you can’t get OTA? Hulu chewing up your allotted bandwidth?

The Internet service should guide you to your options.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have been a Dish customer for 7-8 years and have loved the technology and channel selection. In the past year things have changed. Still great technology but no Sports Time Ohio , Fox Sports Ohio, no NFL Network and no WHIO CBS out of Dayton. To watch the Cincinnati Reds, NFL Network and other sports channels I now have HULU Live ($55.00 a month). Plus my Dish bill. Dish did give me a nice discount until the end of the year but still cost more to get the channels I watch and that deal ends soon.
I am looking for suggestion. I have not seen to many good reviews on Direct TV. I cannot easily integrate local channels with Hulu and do not like their channel guide. Really don't like the idea of going back to cable especially Spectrum.

Any thoughts?
John
I live in the same area as you. Been with Dish 13yrs. Also have Hulu Live. When contract is up in November, I’m going with just Hulu. Btw, I get all Dayton locals (except CW & PBS) with Hulu live.

What are your alternatives? Do you have good/great Internet service? Any caps?

You could try going thru some free YT videos to see if that is entertainment enough. Or do you need certain programming (sports) that you can’t get OTA? Hulu chewing up your allotted bandwidth?

The Internet service should guide you to your options.
Good internet, need to receive Sports Fox and Sports Time Ohio to watch my sports team. I think right now Hulu only offers those.

Good internet, need to receive Sports Fox and Sports Time Ohio to watch my sports team. I think right now Hulu only offers those.
I know You Tube TV provides Fox Sports in your area but you might want to check for Sports Time, YTTV Guide and picture quality is a lot better then Hulu Live.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Had You Tube TV and really like it but they stopped offering Sports Time Ohio And Fox Sports Ohio.

I just checked using a Dayton zip code, Fox Sports Ohio is there but not Sports Time.

As far as Spectrum goes, you can now use their services online, do not need a bo:mad:es) anymore, just a Roku or a Apple TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: spacenerd
You could try Hulu Live and Fubo. That would get you the RSNs and NFL, plus all other major league sports channels. The price would likely be similar, or maybe even cheaper, than Hulu and Dish together.

I just checked using a Dayton zip code, Fox Sports Ohio is there but not Sports Time.

As far as Spectrum goes, you can now use their services online, do not need a bo:mad:es) anymore, just a Roku or a Apple TV.
I have a Firestick and use Hulu Live. Do you know of anybody who has used Spectrum on a Firestick, if so any reviews?

I called Spectrum, looked good but you need to use them as an internet provider. I am not interested in doing that.

I called Spectrum, looked good but you need to use them as an internet provider. I am not interested in doing that.

Who do you use?

I just bought a house in a Spectrum only Area(Florida) and I was very pleased with the install, since I ordered 1g speed they had to replace something on the pole ( needed a Truck with a lift, which he called for once he discovered that he needed to replace whatever it was, Truck was there in 20 minutes), run a new line to my house and rebury the line and they completed everything in the 2 hour timeframe I was given for install.

Comcast at my house in Michigan, ran the orange wire across my backyard from the Green Box, left it and refused to come back out to bury it, I did it myself.

Who do you use?

I just bought a house in a Spectrum only Area(Florida) and I was very pleased with the install, since I ordered 1g speed they had to replace something on the pole ( needed a Truck with a lift, which he called for once he discovered that he needed to replace whatever it was, Truck was there in 20 minutes), run a new line to my house and rebury the line and they completed everything in the 2 hour timeframe I was given for install.

Comcast at my house in Michigan, ran the orange wire across my backyard from the Green Box, left it and refused to come back out to bury it, I did it myself.
I was having router issues. Found out there is no monthly fee for Spectrum's WiFi router if you have the Spectrum 1G Internet service. So I got me one from the Spectrum store. Doesn't have all the whistles and bells like the aftermarket routers have. I am having trouble getting signal out to one of my ring outside cameras. So I have Spectrum technician coming out this Wednesday. I hope he installs one of the new Spectrum WiFi pods. Also hope there is no charge.

I was having router issues. Found out there is no monthly fee for Spectrum's WiFi router if you have the Spectrum 1G Internet service. So I got me one from the Spectrum store. Doesn't have all the whistles and bells like the aftermarket routers have. I am having trouble getting signal out to one of my ring outside cameras. So I have Spectrum technician coming out this Wednesday. I hope he installs one of the new Spectrum WiFi pods. Also hope there is no charge.

Check into the Google Mesh routers. They are fantastic and resolve that issue nicely. I have a Cox model/router, and although it isn’t bad, it isn’t good either. My home is old enough that the original paint is lead based. Signal breaks easily, so the mesh resolved 100% of my issues and thanks to the app, I know which devices are connected to which router and when only one is having a problem.

Check into the Google Mesh routers. They are fantastic and resolve that issue nicely. I have a Cox model/router, and although it isn’t bad, it isn’t good either. My home is old enough that the original paint is lead based. Signal breaks easily, so the mesh resolved 100% of my issues and thanks to the app, I know which devices are connected to which router and when only one is having a problem.
Thanks ChadT41. I have an Orbi mesh router with one satellite and it was doing great. Started to go off line and have to reboot the modem and router to come back on again. Got the Spectrum router and it happened again the next day. So I have other issues causing the router to kick off line like that. So I am back to troubleshooting. May be my 16 port switch causing the issue. Time will tell. Sorry I got off the thread topic.

In doing my research, I found the Spectrum routers are very underpowered and the range is low, in my new house I have 3 Netgear Nighthawks X12, not a big fan of the Pod/mesh systems.

I would have just ran over thecable with the lawnmower and told them to get the sh*t out of my yard and let them try suing me.

Considering that we get all of our entertainment sources from the internet, that would not be a good idea.

I do not favor pod systems either. But I swear by my Orbi router/satellite with a GigE backhaul. What's not to like about that?
I almost went with the Orbi’s. The google I have had zero issues with and I always test stuff out in the office(on the office dime) first. I was quite impressed with the Googles that I ended up putting them in my house, my office, my brothers house and my mothers doctors office. I am the admin on all accounts except the office one. Owner didn’t want to relinquish that control. Lol. But I can troubleshoot the other three while out and about. It’s become quite handy for my little side family business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts