My Hard Drive Runs Almost All the Time

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
My OS is XP. I have noticed since I replaced the hard drive in my computer at home that when I leave the computer on over night the hard drive light indicates that it is running wide open the next morning. When I try to check what is running with the task manager it stops. I can't find any processes in the task manager that would cause this. I have tried to research this and found someone indicated that the drive maybe indexing. Should I leave it on for days to see if that is the problem? Other than that the computer works fine. Obtw it is maxed out with 2gigs of memory:confused:

When was the OS installed? How old is the computer?
Any software installed recently? Running something like seti@home?

Hard drive activity through the night can't be explained by indexing
no matter how big a hard drive and even under Vista.

Diogen.

It's almost 4 years old. The hard drive was replaced about 4 months ago. I installed a fresh copy of xp about a month ago.

I also have noticed that when I click off the internet I have a white screen for a second or two. When I am using the computer such as using outlook or streaming video it seems to run normally. But left idol for about 10 seconds it starts running wide open again.

Get rid of NIS.
Even if it isn't the reason, it will do only good to your PC.

Maybe someone turned your PC into a ftp/web server...:)

Diogen.

For it to be running constantly it sounds like its crunching numbers wich is what something like seti@home does to name just a few programgs out there. When you go into the start menue it will show a list of recent apps used and tiles them by most active to list active from top to bottom, if theres a calculator in there at the top then somethings running numbers alot. I get that with a program called BOINC that a bunch of diferent programs run on including seti@home. If it takes roughly 10 mins before this starts up then its along the lines of an idle delay timer like on a screen saver wich the seti@home program runs, also xp defaults to a screen saver after 10 mins time.

Are you using any file-sharing programs like LimeWire or BitTorrent? They run in the background, and might be uploading stuff.

Also, and this is a very real possibility, despite Norton Internet Security, you may have Spyware. Spybot S&D and Spyware Terminator are excellent applications for finding and removing spyware.

Are you using any file-sharing programs like LimeWire or BitTorrent? They run in the background, and might be uploading stuff.

Also, and this is a very real possibility, despite Norton Internet Security, you may have Spyware. Spybot S&D and Spyware Terminator are excellent applications for finding and removing spyware.
I tried them both. Spyware Terminator seems the easiest to use. It found 8 critical items and they were removed. Thanks! However the hd still runs constantly when the computer is idle. I think I found why. I think I have a corrupt windows file. I have two separate paging files and cannot delete but one of them. After deleting the only one I can and then want to put it back Windows indicates that a pagefile already exists do you want to over write this file. When I do it doesn't over write this file. It just installs an additional paging file.:confused:;)

If it was my computer doing it, I would boot windows into safe mode and see if it continues. This would typically rule out an offending application.

Thanks all of you for your help. Issue solved. Installed my OS again and the drive has stopped running when the computer is idle. I was hoping to avoid doing that. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts