My HOA is forcing me to say goodbye to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm not sure why everyone keeps posting to this thread.

The OP has made it more than clear, with all the other posts that have offered support and suggestions on what OP might do ... and OP has rejected them all.

At this point it should be clear that the OP just wanted to vent a bit of frustration.. the OP has done so ... and now its time to move on.. there's no need for everyone replicating the same advice over and over and over (and over) again.

OP (bruin95) good luck finding a new place without the HOA messes to deal with.

Once again, no disrespect meant, but I believe the OP has vented and has decided that since he will be moving, he no longer will have a dog in this fight.
For all others who may fall under the rules of an HOA, this thread has given a wealth of knowledge to those who may get into the same battle one day.
Ghpr13:)

When you first had this installed did they grant approval for the install? If so then state, I am under contract and you approved. If the rules do not list satellites as a No-No or the need for special exemption then this will also help you. The board can not suddenly create rules or threaten on their own. Threats of these sorts will go no where.

He said there were no rules in place when the dish went up in 1997, and then the rule was created in 2003. Nothing had been said until recently.

This asinine behavior of the HOA is a definite call for rebuttal. Others have mentioned board members are probably in cahoots with the local cable company. Those sort of things are not unheard of.

Agreed, though, moving is the best idea yet. Pause your account, and start looking. Good luck!

The OP has made it more than clear, with all the other posts that have offered support and suggestions on what OP might do ... and OP has rejected them all.

At this point it should be clear that the OP just wanted to vent a bit of frustration.. the OP has done so ... and now its time to move on.. there's no need for everyone replicating the same advice over and over and over (and over) again.

OP (bruin95) good luck finding a new place without the HOA messes to deal with.

Then why did you bother to post again. If you are tired of it stop reading.

Others have mentioned board members are probably in cahoots with the local cable company.
Someone pulled that comment out of their a** ! Does it happen ? I'm sure it does... Does that person have the faintest clue that that is the case here ? Absolutely not !

Back to the OP's situation and "line of sight", what is Dish's policy if someone is no longer is able to obtain LOS ? Say a neighbor's tree grows and the branches block LOS and that's the ONLY possible location. Doesn't Dish allow the customer out of contract without ETF ?

Because (I believe :D) the OP isn't the only person in this country under an oppressive HOA, others have or will have an interest in this issue and the advice given.

Someone pulled that comment out of their a** ! Does it happen ? I'm sure it does... Does that person have the faintest clue that that is the case here ? Absolutely not !

true, true. Doesn't change the fact that the entire situation is questionable. At any rate, their actions deserve a defensive response. If the OP does not have the time/energy to do so, then pausing the account and moving would be the cheapest way to handle his current commitment with DN.

There have been many great HOA horror stories:
Dress codes
Vehicle Age restrictions
No balloons on the mailbox for a birthday party
only decorate your Christmas tree in white lights if it can be seen from the street
no patterned curtains in the windows
dictated color of lawn flowers

there are many forums out there dedicated to fighting an overbearing HOA. If you move in where the rules are already in place , then you are pretty much SOL. However, an HOA trying to put rules into place and remove things that have existed for more than a DECADE clearly reinforces the moniker: "The Obsessive-Compulsive Control Freaks and Busybodies Association"

Problem here is, people assumed he wanted help or ideas. He didn't. He was basically telling others what was going on.... Too many people here jump and yell "OTARD" as if it's a saving grace for anyone who wants a satellite dish. As I stated earlier, it IS a two-way document -- it has provisions for both the "property" and the resident. In this situation, other than a "grandfather clause", the condo management in fact has OTARD on their side.

I suggested people put their money where their mouth is if they felt so strongly and maybe it would have swayed 'bruin95'. How many stepped up ? :)

As for HOAs, you gotta take the good with the bad.... There are some positives that they bring. On the other hand, they can go overboard on some things too.

Maybe the OP should have placed his post in the thread, "What's making you sad or annoyed right now?" Thus stopping the flow of unwanted suggestions...:confused:

Ghpr13:)

If you have a driveway which give you LOS and you are the only one who uses the driveway, you can place your dish in a bucked of cement on the driveway. So long as it is your area to use, even if a common element.

Given that someone else cannot park in your driveway, these challanges have always been upheld for the UNIT OWNER when the FCC takes a look and sees the space is, even when a common element, for the exclusive use of the homeowner.

Go up to their website - there are lots of citations which are similar to yours and the HOA looses in 99.9999999999999% of the situaitons.

And if I live with a chick for more than 14 years, its called commen law and she owns half of everything.......? Dont beleave it one bit, sounds like just another lazy lawyer who cant make money off it and would rather not be bothered.....You mean to tell me if he sent a nasty threating letter to th HOA with his letter head on it(for free) they just might look at this mess through a different angle????

Actually, in some states that is the situation. In Texas, if you get a divorce and continue to live with your EX for more than 6 months, your marriage is re-instated and the divorce is set aside. My brother had to be re-divorced because his EX got sick right after their divorce and he didn't force her to move out.

The Judge asked him if he was going to wait another six months to push her out of the house when he granted the 2nd divorce and asked him if he wanted to "reserve time in front of my bench now?" to expedite another re-divorce. He paid for her movers the next week.

Gotta LOVE those Texas judges!

Virginia does not recognize common law marriages. For the most part.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I appreciate all that have tried to help by giving suggestions on what to do. I am not "ignoring" advice as some have put it. If you read my original post, I was not looking for help, I was merely venting. I can, and will, get by without satellite for about a year. I just don't like being bullied by an HOA. That's what pisses me off.

It has nothing to do with being lawsuit happy, no one is telling you to sue. You wanted help and people gave you good ideas you chose to ignore. You chose to go hide under your blankets from the big mean HOA instead of having a lawyer write a letter.

Tell me where in my original post that I asked for help? Seems to me you have a reading comprehension problem. If you're going to insult someone, make sure you have all the facts straight before you do. That way, you won't come off sounding like an idiot.

So, I had a cheeseburger for lunch today. It wasn't very good as they precook the patties, and then reheat them when you order. I was going to ask fro a refund, but I figured it wasn't worth getting a lawyer over.

This post, was about as worthwhile as your original post was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)