my house seems to eat DVRS this week

Status
Please reply by conversation.

david_gilbert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2009
ms
Ok, 5AM yesterday my 6 year old wakes us up complaining her TV is off. she is like me, the TV cuts off and she is awake almost instantly. well the R15-500 finally gave up the ghost and won't evne boot. no biggie, a call to tech support(and 30 MINUTES OF HOLD TIME) and they ship me a replacement(per CSR no new commitment) for 20.00. it should be here tomorrow.

so i take the OLD Directivo unit out of the toddler's room since she don't watch tv in there anyway and put it in the 6 year olds room. hook it up and all works fine. Until bedtime that is. the Directivo unit is now saying to insert a valid access card. it has done this before and simply removing and reinsterting the card fixed it. this time, it realizes when i pull the card as it changes to "insert your access card" soon as i reinsert it goes back to "insert a VALID access card".

this is not my week!

so i guess 2 question. 1, what DVR will the free one be? i know there are no guarantees but what model is most common now?

2. if the dtivo unit is hosed(i own it not lease) i am thinking of getting one of the free HD rx and put it in our bedroom since we don't use DVR functions there anyway. only thing is i currently am out of the commitment so i have to decide if i want to reup or not! does the current HD rx have OTA capability built in, or do i have to buy the AM-21(think that is it)? if it is OTA capable with no external adapter then i may just order it.

Ok, 5AM yesterday my 6 year old wakes us up complaining her TV is off. she is like me, the TV cuts off and she is awake almost instantly. well the R15-500 finally gave up the ghost and won't evne boot. no biggie, a call to tech support(and 30 MINUTES OF HOLD TIME) and they ship me a replacement(per CSR no new commitment) for 20.00. it should be here tomorrow.

so i take the OLD Directivo unit out of the toddler's room since she don't watch tv in there anyway and put it in the 6 year olds room. hook it up and all works fine. Until bedtime that is. the Directivo unit is now saying to insert a valid access card. it has done this before and simply removing and reinsterting the card fixed it. this time, it realizes when i pull the card as it changes to "insert your access card" soon as i reinsert it goes back to "insert a VALID access card".

this is not my week!

so i guess 2 question. 1, what DVR will the free one be? i know there are no guarantees but what model is most common now?

2. if the dtivo unit is hosed(i own it not lease) i am thinking of getting one of the free HD rx and put it in our bedroom since we don't use DVR functions there anyway. only thing is i currently am out of the commitment so i have to decide if i want to reup or not! does the current HD rx have OTA capability built in, or do i have to buy the AM-21(think that is it)? if it is OTA capable with no external adapter then i may just order it.

Chances are they will re hit or re authorize your card and you'll be fine.

I'm just shocked someone runs their TV all night and their daughter's TV all night. My kids get fussed if they don't set their sleep timer on their TV and leave the TV running all night.

lol, can't help that i have to have the tv on to sleep. i got a tv for my 10th birthday that was never turned off from the day i got it until it finally died 13 years later! only times it shut off were power failures.

we tried the sleep timer with her, but she gets up 4-5 times at night when we use it. by leaving her tv on, she sleeps all night long. that alone is worth the extra couple dollars on the electric bill.

lol, can't help that i have to have the tv on to sleep. i got a tv for my 10th birthday that was never turned off from the day i got it until it finally died 13 years later! only times it shut off were power failures.

we tried the sleep timer with her, but she gets up 4-5 times at night when we use it. by leaving her tv on, she sleeps all night long. that alone is worth the extra couple dollars on the electric bill.

Wonder if it's the TV itself or the light from it (nightlite) or the sound ?

Have you tried a fan ?

For years I couldnt fall asleep unless there was a tv on, but it'd wake me up if it wasnt on a sleep timer.

If I didnt have someone talking about something to listen to, my brain would start delving into solving all the mysteries of the universe and that turned out to be non-conducive to falling asleep.

My granddaughter is like that, we have to turn the tv on in the guestroom when she stays over. She can't get to sleep without it. Must be the light as we mute the sound. I'll slip in and turn it off before I go to bed, but some nights she wakes up and when we get up in the morning it's on again and she's sound asleep.

well crap, it is the card is bad. now to decide if i want to get the HD rx or not. they want 20.00 to replace the card, the HD rx is free and free shipping, just got to reup.

I've never heard of this leave the TV on to sleep medical condition. I just go to bed when I'm tired and fall asleep. Seems like a huge waste of electricity over the years. If you took all the TVs out of the house you'd never fall asleep and be dead within a week ? Have you talked to a doctor about this ? Maybe you could take a sleeping medication before bed with the TV turned off, and eventually be able to sleep without the TV or the medication.

Really ? Never turned off the TV for 13 years ? Not even when you leave the house to go to the store, work, or school ? Even if you supposedly need it on to sleep what's the point of it being on when you're not even in the house ?

i was a teen, i honestly just did not think about it. now that i pay my own light bill, i turn tvs/lights/electronics off whenever someone leaves a room for more than a couple minutes. but no, i honestly cannot sleep well if a tv is not on. with the tv on(tried radio and a closet light in the past but they did not work AND use more electricity) i go to sleep and STAY asleep all night. with it off i will wake up 8-9 times over night. my sister is the same way, guess it is just child hood conditioning. sure, if we all tried really hard we might could overcome it, but to me it just ain't worth it. we are talking about literally pennies a night for good sleep, cheaper than any meds out there.

to the folks complaining about how much juice i waste, how many sat boxes/computers/tvs/chargers/etc you running in your home? all of them constantly draw power unless you physically unplug them or turn off a multi outlet switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)