Native resolution on or off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davemich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
SW Lower Michigan
Sorry to be beating a dead horse here but what is the laymans setup for this setting? I found that turning native on that a Philips TV takes quite a bit of time to find the resolution of the broadcast before I get a picture. It really is obnoxious how long it may take. If I move my setting on the receiver to 1080i and turn off native, am I not getting the picture in the best resolution? If I do this, the picture changes very quickly. Also, if I change the resolution on the front of the box, will it stay at 1080i and am I getting the best possible picture. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to be beating a dead horse here but what is the laymans setup for this setting? I found that turning native on that a Philips TV takes quite a bit of time to find the resolution of the broadcast before I get a picture. It really is obnoxious how long it may take. If I move my setting on the receiver to 1080i and turn off native, am I not getting the picture in the best resolution? If I do this, the picture changes very quickly. Also, if I change the resolution on the front of the box, will it stay at 1080i and am I getting the best possible picture. Thanks in advance.

Your opening up Pandora's box here with resolutions.
Some feel 10801 is better than 720p, others don't. I don't.
Now if you can get 1080p on your set thats what you would want.
Your TV IF it's a 1080p set should always show a 1080p signal.

Go into resolution settings on your recvr and turn off anything that has 480 in it.
Tell your recvr to only send 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

As for the Native issue, if your not worried about the speed of the channel changing, if you have a real nice TV that does GREAT processing, your picture will look better using your TV's processing vs the D* boxes. ( I haven't had time enough to look and see how the HR24 handles this stuff yet.

The reason it takes longer for the picture to appear is because the recvr trys to set the resolution and then the TV has to also set the resolution.

With 'Native Off' you will have faster channel changing and no loss of picture quality that you are able to see. There is an upscaling argument that can be made for having Native On, but it really isn't an issue.

On my DVR, I have 'Native Off', 720P, 1080i, 1080P as available resolutions, and Pillarbox rather than Original. I find this combination gives me really excellent results with no SD 'stretch'. :)

Thanks for the responses. TDK, to get stretch on SD what must the setting be? I have native turned off now and went back to the resolution setting and unchecked 480p/i. When I move the resolution on the front panel to 1080i, what is that telling me? Is my TV now doing the work at choosing a resolution choice? Also, will that setting move on my front panel where the blue light is indicating above the 1080i or will it remain there. Thanks again.

With Native Off your DVR is now doing all the conversion work. Leave the resolution on the front of your DVR set to 1080i. To get stretch on the SD transmissions, select 'Original' rather than 'Pillarbox'.

Pillarbox displays the SD channels in 4X3 with your selected chioce of side bar color....Gray or Black are the only options I think. 'Original' format sends only the video signal so the TV decides how it is displayed.

Your TV will recognize the Aspect Ratio in the SD programs, and if you have the DVR set to Original Format, then the SD programs are stretched to a 16:9 image.

There is also a 'stretch' menu option somewhere, but as I never use stretch, another member should advise you regarding that menu option. :)

Pandoras box indeed.

I think the key is to rescale as little as possible. Your set is going to rescale the picture to its native resolution no matter what (720, 1080). Having the dvr rescale it and then having your tv rescale it again is something you might want to avoid.

I've also found that with native on, my tv has separate settings for each resolution its fed. So I can do a little zoom/stretch on 480i and have it crop off the vbi noise at the top of the screen, and leave 720p and 1080i/p signals at full screen with no cropping.

If I was outputting only 1080i from the receiver with native off, my options werent as flexible.

I never understood the 'original format' stretching SD content. If you're changing the picture, you arent presenting the original format to the tv.

Pandoras box indeed.

I think the key is to rescale as little as possible. Your set is going to rescale the picture to its native resolution no matter what (720, 1080). Having the dvr rescale it and then having your tv rescale it again is something you might want to avoid.

I've also found that with native on, my tv has separate settings for each resolution its fed. So I can do a little zoom/stretch on 480i and have it crop off the vbi noise at the top of the screen, and leave 720p and 1080i/p signals at full screen with no cropping.

If I was outputting only 1080i from the receiver with native off, my options werent as flexible.

I never understood the 'original format' stretching SD content. If you're changing the picture, you arent presenting the original format to the tv.

I agree ....
I was always told that the Original meant the show was sent to you in the format that it was originally meant to be in.

I'm usually on Original or Pillar

btw, I'm curious, what TV are you using ?

Right now we have a 60" 120hz lcd sharp aquos, and a 47" 240hz led vizio. Both let me make permanent settings per resolution presented.

When I set the HR20's to native off, and took away all but 720p, 1080i and 1080p that took away my ability to do custom zoom/stretch for 480 content, and forced me to use a zoom mode on 720/1080 content so the vbi noise didnt show up at the top of 480 content.

I dont watch live tv, so channel change times arent that big of a deal.

Dont you guys see the vbi chatter at the top of the screen when watching 480 SD content?

I didnt until I bought new tv's. The old ones lost it in the overscan.

Is that a scan change or are you changing a zoom/stretch setting? If its the latter, I can see a degradation in PQ between the 'full' or 'dot for dot' mode and the minor zoom/stretch setting that eliminates the overscan. I also lose about an inch or two of picture all the way around.

I prefer native on, original format on, and I leave my 1080p tv on 1:1 pixel mapping so there is no overscan.

I leave native on, because I prefer my tv to handle the scaling to 1080p, and to let the box just passthru what it gets.

Is that a scan change or are you changing a zoom/stretch setting? If its the latter, I can see a degradation in PQ between the 'full' or 'dot for dot' mode and the minor zoom/stretch setting that eliminates the overscan. I also lose about an inch or two of picture all the way around.

I can adjust my scan to correct for this type of thing.
Fox is the only one that still gives me issues.

I prefer native on, original format on, and I leave my 1080p tv on 1:1 pixel mapping so there is no overscan.

I leave native on, because I prefer my tv to handle the scaling to 1080p, and to let the box just passthru what it gets.

I would do that too, but the delay annoys me too much.

Ive found that if you uncheck 480p, it speeds it up, because it likes to jump to 480p when HD switching for some stupid reason. The HR24 also seems to do it faster, IMO.

Ive found that if you uncheck 480p, it speeds it up, because it likes to jump to 480p when HD switching for some stupid reason. The HR24 also seems to do it faster, IMO.

I have all 480 unchecked.

The HR24 should be faster, it has a much better processor in it.

I never heard of that, I'll try it. :)

My HR22 to my 50" 1080p 600hz Plasma is set at native, I like seeing the sports that are broadcast in 720p, in 720p. Also for when I watch the so-called 1080p pay-per-views that DirecTV keeps sending me coupons for.

Now my other HD receivers that are set to native off, especially with my old 1080i only rear projection widescreen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)