My List of 811 Bugs

The darker display may be intentional. I always noticed that my 501 looked dark compared to the 6000. I had to resist lightening it up on my set because it would brighten my HD too much.

I'll have to check some more tonight, but they may have made the 811 more in line with the later receivers as far as brightness.

Here is another one, though it may be by design.

Closed Caption works on DVI and Component outputs, but not on composite or S-Video. This may be because TV's can decode the SD CC and E* never saw the need for SD CC from their receivers.

Ok, I did a more thorough check out of the 811 last night. Some things I noticed:

- Anyone get the video in guide to work?? In the window I just get the downloading programming message all the time!?

- Not a bug but an issue: if you do a channel scan it dumps all channels currently programmed that it does not pick up. This is bad for those using a rotor who may want to point in different directions and combine channels.

- Bug: Unable to add directly PAX in northern VA (Channel 66). It picks up in the DTV scan but I cannot add it directly. It locks, but no channel number is received. Also if it is picked up on the DTV scan and I try to tune to it, the channel gets dropped. This is symptomatic of it not understanding the PSIP stream. The 6000 worked with this channel.

- In some cases it will not allow you to go in and edit the channel name. This happens if you try and do Add DTV, fail to get a lock, and cancel out. Then Add DTV again, get a lock, but then you are NOT given the channel name screen. If you go back and do it AGAIN, it works.

- The audio level is all over the place. Had problems specifically with channels broadcasting HD and DD 2.0. They came out very very quiet.

Thats all for now.

Lee

"Closed Caption works on DVI and Component outputs, but not on composite or S-Video. "

So what you're saying is that it's not possible to have CC work on S-Video with the 811? How about using TV's CC?

Nicu

BUG:

Had another problem this morning that others may have reported. Dunno how I got to this state but the receiver was on an OTA channel and when switched to a Sat channel, all audio was lost. Go back to OTA and had audio back.

I had it set to Dolby Digital only (using optical out). Then switched it to Digital/PCM, and everything worked!

Scott, can we have a bug thread that Dish can look at ? Should we use this thread and stick it??

This is my first post around here, so HELLO!!

I wanted to clarify the dark image issue a little from my perspective. I don't think that it is just making the default image darker (lower brightness), but rather the blacks are crushed. IOW, it isn't something that I can correct with the brightness/contrast settings. All I end up doing is raising the brightness level, but I don't get back any of the detail. It's like all the blacks are being clipped at the source. Anyone else see it this way?

I've also noticed that the color levels are more saturated (to the point of blooming on some stations) than with my old 4700.

BTW, this is with s-vid connection to a non-HD WEGA and also via DVI to a sanyo Z2 projector (although this problem is not NEARLY as bad with the projector).

For the record, HD stuff looks fantastic in my setup... :D

I have the 811 and a Samsung 151 OTA HD receiver. The HD images on the Samsung are as dark as on the 811, maybe that's how HD receivers are designed.

Also, HD looks better on my Sony 34XBR800 through component than via DVI.

Nicu

mule.variant`: I noticed a similar effect on my SD channels over s-video. I had an overall dark picture but color saturation was intense - especially reds (which were blooming like crazy!) I upped the brightness and contrast just a little (I can save different settings for each input on my Toshiba 65H80 so this doesn't affect the settings for my DVD or HD) and then turned the color levels and sharpness WAY down. The final result was an extremely good SD picture - better than my 6000u ever put out - but it took a lot of work to get there!

dmodemd said:
Ok, I did a more thorough check out of the 811 last night. Some things I noticed:

- The audio level is all over the place. Had problems specifically with channels broadcasting HD and DD 2.0. They came out very very quiet.

Lee

Might be a bug, but I do notice with the 6000 that audio level is not consistent between channel changes. I see this with HD channels a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts