My one day review

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How responsive are the playback controls on the HR20? The SA8300HDs I am trying right now are a still a little slow for my tastes compared to my Tivos, but everything else is faster. I wish I could try one of the HR20s out without shelling out $99 first. My local Best Buy does not have one on display to demo.

Ted

HR20 with Vonage or other VOIP?

Has anyone out there tried dialing in through a VOIP phone connection? I have two coming on Wed and I am hoping that they will connect for the software update.

They don't need a phone line for any of that like the Tivo units. Everything over the sat. It only needs a phone line for PPV and whatever they say for "normal" receivers.

James,

How has it been? I know you are probably all depressed after last night's game, but let us know how your new toy is doing! I checked the local BB today. They said they would not be setting up any HR20s for display purposes. They did also tell me that several had been returned as DOA. This makes me a little leery of taking the plunge.

Ted

ncted said:
James,

How has it been? I know you are probably all depressed after last night's game, but let us know how your new toy is doing! I checked the local BB today. They said they would not be setting up any HR20s for display purposes. They did also tell me that several had been returned as DOA. This makes me a little leery of taking the plunge.

Ted

Ted so far so GREAT...No problems with the box....well I dont know how to classify this, Last night on espnHD (prison break recording on other tuner) we lost signal (first time with directv!) the box froze when the signal went out, I restarted the box, and it actually recorded prison break after the restart, so I only lost out on 2 minutes of Football, and PRison break. Also was showing my friend the new stuff, and he then commented that he will be going to cable after seeing that.

Dolby Digital works great, this box is solid, I am still waiting on my Local ABC to straighten its problem out.....I did have a caller I.d. problem (no notification, no log) but after the restart it came back. Mpeg4 is still young, and I can now see what people are talking about when they say stuttering video, it seems like out of every 16-20 frames, 2 may be missing, its not stuttering like start stop start, but just a little rough playback on live events like sports, but MPEg4 is still very young, and according to earl they are replacing their Hardware in each city right now, so we will see improvement. If you are still on the fence and are not comfortable I understand. I keep thinking this way, soon Directv will have alot of capactiy, and they are going to add ALOT (hopefully :) ). Also I have my locals in over the sat In HD, plus all my RSNs, plus Sunday ticket so it was a no brainer for me, but for you, make sure you are comfortable before you jump, my suggestion is jump! anything in specific you want to know ask, and also I will keep updating this thread this week as the t.v. season begins, I also want to point out that season link and all recordings have been flawless, and that also I have yet to have any limit issues.

and yes last night was horrible, the only thing I can think is that the game was a loss from the beginning with maybe cowher being very protective of ben, and not going hog wild on offensive plays, also our defense while respectable by keeping them out of the end zone, was banged up a bit (troy, and others) so I am thinking they decided to just fill the field with players and rest for the bengals game.

stuart628 said:
Mpeg4 is still young, and I can now see what people are talking about when they say stuttering video, it seems like out of every 16-20 frames, 2 may be missing, its not stuttering like start stop start, but just a little rough playback on live events like sports, but MPEg4 is still very young, and according to earl they are replacing their Hardware in each city right now, so we will see improvement.

Does the "stutter" interfere with your understanding of what is going on with whatever you are watching? Does the H20 exhibit the same stutter as the HR20? That is, it this unique to the DVR, or just mpeg4 locals? Anyone on the Raleigh/Durham area having mpeg4 stutter problems? We only have 2 HD Locals, so there is probably more bandwidth available for those broadcasts.

If you stop to think about it, D* is doing something pretty amazing. They are taking an mpeg2 stream, decoding in, piping it into an mpeg4 encoder and rebroadcasting it up to a satellite. I could see many software issues that would crop up while trying to do that. It takes my 1.5 GHz Powerbook about 2 hours to decode an hour's worth of Divx to DV, and then about another 2 hours to encode it into mpeg2 before I burn it to DVD. Mind you, I have no dedicated DSPs to off-load the CPU, but still!

Thanks,
Ted

Line Filters

Doesn anyone know what the line filters ACTUALLY do? I had my hr20's installed today and after hooking up the second one he noticed that there was no signal on SAT 2. He took off the filter and it seems to work, but I am skeptical that it is there for SOME reason...

Inline Filter

Does anyone know what the inline filters ACTUALLY do? I had my hr20's installed today and after installing the second one he noticed that SAT 2 had no signal. He said he was going to remove on of the filters that they REALLY dont need them. He removed it and the signal came in, but I am skeptical that they are there for SOME reason. Any one out there know what?

Soundteck said:
Does anyone know what the inline filters ACTUALLY do? I had my hr20's installed today and after installing the second one he noticed that SAT 2 had no signal. He said he was going to remove on of the filters that they REALLY dont need them. He removed it and the signal came in, but I am skeptical that they are there for SOME reason. Any one out there know what?
They are required when you receive the MPEG4 signal, no convertor , no MPEG 4 signal.

Everything will work fine until you get a MPEG4 signal.

Jimbo

ncted said:
Does the "stutter" interfere with your understanding of what is going on with whatever you are watching? Does the H20 exhibit the same stutter as the HR20? That is, it this unique to the DVR, or just mpeg4 locals? Anyone on the Raleigh/Durham area having mpeg4 stutter problems? We only have 2 HD Locals, so there is probably more bandwidth available for those broadcasts.

If you stop to think about it, D* is doing something pretty amazing. They are taking an mpeg2 stream, decoding in, piping it into an mpeg4 encoder and rebroadcasting it up to a satellite. I could see many software issues that would crop up while trying to do that. It takes my 1.5 GHz Powerbook about 2 hours to decode an hour's worth of Divx to DV, and then about another 2 hours to encode it into mpeg2 before I burn it to DVD. Mind you, I have no dedicated DSPs to off-load the CPU, but still!

Thanks,
Ted

NOT AT ALL!! its really really hard to explain, but it dosent affect whats going on on screen at all, and will clear up when they replace equipment (which they are in the process of doing)! also if you look at my cleveland ABC thread you will see the worst of my locals. Also I did come across a problem, when I turn my tv off and my box off, I have to cycle through resoloutions, I am hoping this will be fixed in the next software update...this only affects me because I have HDMI to DVI cable, if I went component I would never see this!

well today is thursday my wife and I's heaviest tv day by far, we watched My name is earl, and the Office live (both were taping), and recorded survivor at the same time, also recorded CSI, everything went without a problem, channels look great, playback was right on, and never had a audio problem....This Box has been very very solid for me, I cant complain One bit! I just cant wait for More HD!

Same here, very solid box for me so far. Only had it a week but it hasn't missed a recording yet and the PQ is great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts