Status
Please reply by conversation.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Had a day off from work today which worked out perfectly as my Hr20 came in today, I tell you I felt like joey porter running back a touchdown, and that ups man was my bill cowher I could have kissed him when he showed up! I was that excited.

Oh and I also had my AT9 install which went smooth, and I am hitting about 96-97 on signal (during a heavy rain it went down to about 89 on the lowest transponder!) anyways, to the DVR....A little worried at first as it took a little longer then I expected starting up (be patient! I wasnt) I got a little nervous, and thought i had done something wrong when my Resoloution lights keep turning on and off starting with 480 and working its way to 1080. But it got up and running and activated, which I didnt even try the locals because nothing would come in without the software upgrade, so I flipped ot my HD channels, which in my opinion look better on the HR20 then the HR10. Now they are not night and day different but they are better.

ANyways, suddenly my box turned off, and again Panic mode set in, until a screen popped up a minute later saying downloading software (I thought this would warn me before turning off.). Anyways The software downloaded, and a problem I had before with the old software where my Resoloution wouldnt change to 1080 no matter what, I thought it was because I had a HDMI to DVI cable hooked up to my sony kp46wt500, but really it was just the software they loaded onto the machine causing the problem, with the new software during setup 1080i took right away!

Alot of you are probably saying get on with it James (my real name) we want to know what you think coming from a HDTIVO-welllll I would say this, right now if your locals arent up in HD, and neither is a rsn, and you get your locals over the air, I would stay with tivo.

Okay let me explain before you jump to conclusions! I love this box, the picture is crisper, and I no longer have to fight with my VHF3 OTA chanell, I get my RSN's in HD, and I know in a year when they start firing those HD channels up all I have to do is sit back and relax.

The thing that made the jump for me easy is I have a r15 that I have grown to love as I found my way around it. I do enjoy Directvs Programming. Also My fear of this box was that it was a unstable piece of poo, but in reality there are bugs (we are only on the first REAL software released) but its things that will not stop the world from spinning.

My Locals in HD look almost exactly like OTA. I have one small Mpeg4 problem, but its with my ABC and I am currently in the middle of talking with them to try and get it fixed. Another Area of concern was the Wife approval factor, and it passed with flying colors, she thinks the pictures alot nicer with this, and again we are both familiar with the R15 so she grabbed the remote and went right to survivor, which brings up a nice point, GOod job Directv on the remapping of the channels, I know they are working on this, and in my area if you hit channel 19, it goes right to my HD Local.

If you are on the fence abou this box, I would upgrade to it, again its a great box....remember this is teh wave of the future, so you will be here one day. And also like I said before, if you really love your tivo, are not interested in RSNs in HD or dont have locals in HD up yet, and will upgrade when NEw hd channels come out, stick with your tivo, you will gain nothing but maybe a better picture (marginally better, but better) and maybe a missed recording or two (again still new box).

(note by Scott... I added paragraphs for easier reading... good review!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will update tommorow night hopefully ( I have a wedding dinner, and wedding, so def. by sunday I will add a lot to this!

I definatly notice that I am getting a better picture on SD channels then I did with my HDVR2. Although this could be because I had the tivo hooked up through s-video and now I have the HR20 going through HDMI forcing everything at 720p, which is the native resolution for my Samsung DLP.

I have noticed that it is A LOT faster. HD seems to look slightly better but I haven't noticed the improvement in SD that some have mentioned. Bought from Best Buy (w/ 299 credit from D*) and straight from the box no glitches, hang ups, etc. so far.

tdbohannon said:
I have noticed that it is A LOT faster. HD seems to look slightly better but I haven't noticed the improvement in SD that some have mentioned. Bought from Best Buy (w/ 299 credit from D*) and straight from the box no glitches, hang ups, etc. so far.

This thing is a ton faster than my old HDVR2, the guide is instant. Channel changes are slow if set to native mode im sure this is my tv changing resolution or something though, but works great when in the normal setting and just letting the box output at a consistant resolution.
One thing I did notice and it could just be im doing something wrong, but if there is a show currently on I can't set up a series link. When I set to record it just starts recording, doesnt give me the options like it does when I select a show in the guide that is in the future..

James,

Please keep us updated. BTW: would you please also let us know how it compares to the R15? Is it as buggy?

Thanks,
Ted

ncted said:
James,

Please keep us updated. BTW: would you please also let us know how it compares to the R15? Is it as buggy?

Thanks,
Ted

I have had no bugs, and my series link actually tells the difference between repeats and First runs!!!!!! I put my name is earl and the office up as first runs only and it said it was going to record the office, but it didnt becuase it was a repeat, so far this thing is very solid, no resets freezes or slow downs of any kind! I am very very happy with it.....but I am not going to write too much as I was at a wedding rehersal and then dinner, so more will follow after I get some serious couch and tv time this sunday! I really believe this is a good box. also no Dolby Digital bugs of any kind on my box/

Mtnmike said:
Don't tell us your are getting married. You won't have anytime at night to mess with your new DVR. Too busy messing with other stuff:D
From the way I read it, he was going to a wedding, or in one, not the one getting married... I hope if he was the one getting married, he would have said it that way..
Your right, IF he was getting married, he would not have time to play with this box, until after the marriage.

Jimbo

Mtnmike said:
Don't tell us your are getting married. You won't have anytime at night to mess with your new DVR. Too busy messing with other stuff:D

you guys are crazy :) I am 25 years old, I have been married for three years out of many many more....also its that time in life where all my friends are getting married, this is my 7th wedding in less then two years to be apart of, and 12th attending....I hope I am about done!~

Also wanted to let everyone know a new software version came out today at 5:11 on my machine, my Mpeg4 playback on my ONE trouble local station seems to be cleared up, who knows if it will stay that way, or if its still with the station itself. Also did notice that some shows (prison break 8 p.m. on my fox, is not in the guide) I dont know if it has to repopulate itself after getting software (maybe did a reset?) other then that I am still having very very smooth sailing, no lockups or anything, also I have recorded two shows at once, and playback one, and no lockups or anything there....you guys who are on the fence, I woudl go for this box....again if its only to get better, then I cant wait!

SD never Looked Better

I have (2) Hr20's up and running. I have had one for a week now, and teh other just came in yesterday. I agree SD never looked better.

I did learn a few tricks to get a better picture for those of you that have it hooked up to HD TV's. In the display screen, I left "Native Resolution" on, but told my box that my TV supports only 720 and 1080. This keeps my Sd at 720, but avoids an 1080 signals being downgraded. This may look different depending on your TV resolution, but has worked well on both TV's listed below, and not too much of a delay in channel changing. I use the "Blue dot" and prefer scrolling through the mini-guide than channel surfing anyways.

BTW, I posted a new thread this afternoon. There was a software release this morning and rolling out over the next 48 hours to all users. One of my boxes has it, the other had recordings set over night, so I may force an upgrade.

If anyone would like me to post a detailed review here, or in a new thread, please let me know. Also, please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. I have done some interesting tests to see how the two boxes respond, as well as different connections.

skakusha said:
I have (2) Hr20's up and running. I have had one for a week now, and teh other just came in yesterday. I agree SD never looked better.

I did learn a few tricks to get a better picture for those of you that have it hooked up to HD TV's. In the display screen, I left "Native Resolution" on, but told my box that my TV supports only 720 and 1080. This keeps my Sd at 720, but avoids an 1080 signals being downgraded. This may look different depending on your TV resolution, but has worked well on both TV's listed below, and not too much of a delay in channel changing. I use the "Blue dot" and prefer scrolling through the mini-guide than channel surfing anyways.

BTW, I posted a new thread this afternoon. There was a software release this morning and rolling out over the next 48 hours to all users. One of my boxes has it, the other had recordings set over night, so I may force an upgrade.

If anyone would like me to post a detailed review here, or in a new thread, please let me know. Also, please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. I have done some interesting tests to see how the two boxes respond, as well as different connections.

I am glad to here the Hr 20-700 has the mini guide, I use mine on my H10 all the time, it' a great feature, the old Hughes units use to have it as well, then they got away from it....
Any info you can share about the HR20-700 is welcome, Good , Bad or indifferent, we are all trying to learn this unit and sharing info is what this site is all about.

Thanks,
Jimbo

hey everyone, tommorow is play day, anything you want me to do, or anything you want to know, I am here for it, so fire away!

skakusha said:

Your detailed review would be greatly appreciated. :up

I've got mine and I plan to install it tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I'll have some things to say about it before Monday Night Football comes on. If not later in the week. I come from 6 years of Tivo so the new (to me) interface will be interesting. But unlike many who drink the Tivo koolaid I keep an open mind and I find new things like this exciting to play with.

More Updates and Thoughts on My HR20's

So far the biggest issue for me, and many others, has been MPEG-4 locals. Many users are keeping the HR10's, or SD Tivo's, connected to ensure that they do not miss a recording. MPEG-4's thus far are very unpredictable. For example, I recorded the same local network show, on Mpeg-4 local HD channels, on both HR20's and one played the show back and the other did not.

D* is working very hard on this, and I am positive this will be remedied quickly, as this is the main purpose of the box. The MPEG-4 locals look great, and with 12 people viewing, it was difficult for everyone to notice which channel was OTA which was MPEG-4. Please note: I switched inputs on TV. OTA support on HR20 expected by end of Sept. vs. week of October. No release date as of this time

In order to keep you out of hot water with the wife or girlfriend, I recommend the backup mentioned above, or just record the SD local version. The upgrade that was released 0xcc, has helped a lot. FFW, RWD, slip all work much better. In addition, hitting "Exit", "Stop" or "Channel up" while watching a recorded show, keeps your place. Before the release, "Stop" would restart the recording from the beginning.

SD as I mentioned above works very, very well. I have been very happy with the PQ. As I mentioned before I watch them at 720p. I also use crop for letter box shows on my plasma. Stargate looked really good this week. I have had NO issues with SD. Early last week I did have one MPEG-2 HD issue, but NONE thus far after the software update. I started a new thread which includes the software upgrade release notes. Thus far I am very happy with the upgrade, and it seems D* is working hard to address our issues and plan for feature sets and enhancements.

As an interactive receiver, this box performs really well. I had the opportunity to use the interactive options last Football Sunday and I loved it. My friends were blown away when my Fantasy Football updates popped up on the screen. Very, very cool! :D

I am learning a few tricks and made some observations as I go along as well. For example, the recording defaults are "Both" for first run and repeats. Since I do the majority of my recordings on first runs, I wanted to change this option. I found that this was pretty simple. When hitting "More Info" on a show, "Record" screen, and then hit "Menu". Know you can see "recording Options" and change recording defaults such as "Episode Types", "How Many to Keep", etc.

The other trick about dimming the lights was in the manual. The lights were way too bright for a bedroom box, so I found that hitting the "left" and "right" arrow at the same time cycles through different light settings. I do love the lights as they remind of Knight Rider. The lights will change as you hit different buttons. I also noticed that the live indicator bar is green when you are on the life buffer, and orange on a recording.

If you are reviewing the guide, the Picture in Guide responds to DVR controls and "previous" buttons. I have even used the previous button to switch between a recorded program, in PIG and full screen, and a live program. Very cool! The screen saver on pause is very cool for those of us with plasmas or LCD flat panels. I love that feature.

The menus, searches, and guide are very fast and I love the features. I set up movie recordings for the week, Series recording, and prioritized them very quickly. For testing purpose, I have maxed the recordings of MPEG-4 locals this week. By the way, when I saw maxed out, I mean it . . . I set Series Recording on both boxes to record 2 programs an hour from 8pm EST to 11pm EST every day of the week. In addition I went through the guides, and picked movies and shows all day long. I work form home so I have been able to really play with these boxes.

I did have some early issues with audio, but they have disappeared since the update. Less audio issues occurred with optical cables the HDMI. I found that power off and power on, or switching between an SD channel and back fixed it.

In regards to signal strength on the new dish, all transponders for me are 95 and above. The majority are at 98 - 100. I had only one transponder at 89.

Well, I noticed this post is getting a little long, so I am going to wrap it up. All in all, even with the minor issues, I am very happy with my HR20's. Missing a recording on the MPEG-4 locals upset me at first, but I have back up recordings on my Comcast HDDVR's and have accepted the price of being an early adopter. D* has also provided me with enough credits to keep me happy for my troubles. :p You can also tell D* is dedicated to getting this box right, and listening to their customers as the have responded to our requests and releasing updates on a regular basis. You also have to remember that the main purpose of this box is to be an MPEG-4 HDDVR, so you know that they are focused on it. By the way, I do not even miss my Tivo's, and I am a big fan of their software. :eek: I had Tivo since inception, but not anymore. :eek:

Well, I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let me know. I apologize for the novel above. :rolleyes: I will keep you guys posted on my recordings this week.

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed review - keep posting your findings as you realize new things. I just bought two HR20s and one H20 as a new sub to D*. Coming from two 622s with E*, I am a little apprehensive about missing features like PIP and reccording three things at once with OTA.

But E* has no plans to launch two things I really need: FSN Detroit in HD (Not in E* first round RSN uplinks) and MY20 Detroit in HD (1/2 the Pistons games in HD). I am too far to get the OTA signals from Detroit, but D* has every network except CW now in HD using MPEG4.

I especially like your feedback on the MPEG4 locals quality, keep it coming!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)