My plasma tv might be having a problem

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Gray line about 5 pixels wide down entire right side, during blue and green backgrounds. On white, it just appears blurry. It's only showing on 1080p/i content, if I pause that and change the box output to 720p (which causes some overscan) it disappears. This tells me its not burn in or a glass issue, its something electronic i guess. I dont see how the picture would have moved over, the tv never moves and nothing should have happened to it. Panasonic is going to call me about an in home visit (i have a 36 mo in home), but it sucks because Gregg calibrated the set :(

I also ruled out the denon and hooked my BR player and Dish dvr up direct, to both hdmi inputs.

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

I've seen a similar problem mentioned a couple times in the 800u thread on AVS. This post may or may not be relevant to your situation: New Panasonic THX Certified 42PZ800U, 46PZ800U, and 50PZ800U Thread! - Page 252 - AVS Forum

good luck!

BTW, if the Panny techs don't have replace the TV or panel, perhaps you could just write down Greg's service and user menu changes, so if they do a factory reset as part of the repair process, you can go back in and re-input the calibrated settings afterwards.

Isn't picture image shift due to magnetic pull, as opposed to physical movement? Do you have a picture shift adjustment on your tv?:D

Isn't picture image shift due to magnetic pull, as opposed to physical movement? Do you have a picture shift adjustment on your tv?:D

Nah, there is not picture shifting on this panny plasma. Have not seen any FW either.

Its doing something weird at the top too. On the phone with service now for an in home appointment.

Im sure glad Zookster turned me on to the 800u thread, AVS has become useless. I posted these pictures and info in the main plasma forum, and note one comment.

It appears, unless you want to argue about which brand is better, or IR and burn in, the plasma forum is not for you.

I wonder if this is a side-effect of some digital decoding/processing? Perhaps some edge-enhancement artifact?

I wonder if this is a side-effect of some digital decoding/processing? Perhaps some edge-enhancement artifact?
Seems to large of an area for that.

Edit: Scratch that. I was looking at his picture wrong. I guess what you say is possible

Its weird, I can't see anything happened on my end, that I know of.

All pic settings are the same, they are basically a stock setting because Gregg's adjustments are in the service menu.

I get the line with both the Dish dvr and BD35 connected directly to all HDMI inputs at 1080i/p.

Then, as stated, if I go to a 720p resolution, it overscans the line right out. I dunno what the hell is up with the top of the screen, its like the top two pixel lines are one alignment, then as you get below them the rest of the pixels are showing slightly moved over. Its like this at the top:

This would be the normal 5 pixel row displaying something
____
____
____
____
____

The top two lines actually look like this:

____
____
____
____
____

When people's heads are at the top of the screen, it looks like you cut the top of their head off and moved it over a couple of pixels.

Decided to throw in the plasma break in dvd today to get a better look at whats going on with a static color.

The gray line only appears on blue/purple, so it seems that is the problem color. The dark blue slide is also the only one I have any pixel issues (1 dead and 1 flashing)

Panny rep is still set to come out Tues, 9-12.

Well,

The local Panasonic certified rep came out, I was not impressed with them at all. After showing him a few issues with the line, he did not even ask me to show him different inputs to verify it was not on my end. I wonder if they just send drones out on these calls.

His helper then starts unplugging things and I go "are you planning to take it now?"

"yes"...... "it might need a new panel or board"

"what about a loaner"

"we dont do loaners"

"how long would you have it"

" 2 weeks"

"this is my only tv, so you arent taking it today"

He then gave me their card and said to schedule a pickup. I have a call into Panny now about the loaner because this is BS. After what I spent on the tv and the CCP, if they cant do a loaner and expect me to go 2 weeks without a tv, thats the last sale they get from me.

elwaylite - IIRC you got an extended warranty for your set, correct? Does that give you any additional benefits, like a loaner? You would have to take that up with the warranty company however, not Panasonic...

The warranty is thru Panny.

You do not get a loaner with a Panny CCP, per them. Moral of the story, do not pay extra dough for the Panny CCP.

Yeah, that $ucks! Maybe you can at least shame them into covering a couple of weeks of rental through their "complaint resolution" dept. ??

Ah, maybe. I may not argue it, they just wont be getting my business anymore as far as care plans go. I'll go with a Mack warranty from now on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)