My quest to get DLNA working on the Hopper...

So, has it been confirmed that an HIC is required to access media files via DLNA from compatible devices?
Are the people who are having success with DLNA using a HIC in their setup?
Are people with an HIC not having success?
Are people without an HIC having success?

If it's needed, I will contact my installer, and have him come back with an HIC.

Mine worked for a while without the HIC - but does not now.

So, has it been confirmed that an HIC is required to access media files via DLNA from compatible devices?
Are the people who are having success with DLNA using a HIC in their setup?
Are people with an HIC not having success?
Are people without an HIC having success?

If it's needed, I will contact my installer, and have him come back with an HIC.

I wouldnt take my chat post to be written in stone. I think all of us have had experiences with tech support where we weren't given correct information.

The thing that is most suspicious to me, is that if the HIC's job is to allow the units to access the Internet, what difference would it make in an internal network? I am not trying to access anything outside of my own network? I am not even trying to access something between the Joey and the Hopper. I am trying to access information stored on another computer outside of anything Dish Network makes. I just dont see how an "Internet Controller" has anything to do with allowing either device to see something on my network.

Had the guy simply told me that this is something they need to get the kinks worked out with, I would have totally believed it. But to tell me that a separate piece of hardware is required to make this feature work, and then add that in the future it might work without it, just sounds like a bunch of bool to me.

So, the lesson here is, that there is no lesson. We all should just keep waiting.

my guess is this is something to be MAYBE released down the road. Down the road could mean years or never with dish.

or better yet, soon, LOL.

for the record, no HIC here and no DLNA. I the rest of my network works fine for everything, so I know it's the hopper

my guess is this is something to be MAYBE released down the road. Down the road could mean years or never with dish.

or better yet, soon, LOL.

for the record, no HIC here and no DLNA. I the rest of my network works fine for everything, so I know it's the hopper

Agreed! And like I said before, this is just a minor inconvenience for an otherwise great product! The fact that the Hopper works as well as it does for such an early piece of hardware is a win for me.

I would think that most people have at least an Xbox 360, PS3, or some other type of DNLA capable device that we can use in the meantime. Even if you dont, you could look for deals on the Western Digital TV device. I dont own one personally, but Ive read many reviews that consider it the best bang for your buck when it comes to easily streaming media from a computer/NAS device to a television.

Agreed! And like I said before, this is just a minor inconvenience for an otherwise great product! The fact that the Hopper works as well as it does for such an early piece of hardware is a win for me.

I would think that most people have at least an Xbox 360, PS3, or some other type of DNLA capable device that we can use in the meantime. Even if you dont, you could look for deals on the Western Digital TV device. I dont own one personally, but Ive read many reviews that consider it the best bang for your buck when it comes to easily streaming media from a computer/NAS device to a television.

agreed, the hopper software seems to be really stable so far which is nice. even my apps work great. I can use my ps3 for now to stream but it would be nice to have the hopper do it and not have to run the ps3 as well. I am more concerned why they are checking your subscription to channels when you play movies off the EHD, but the is another thread:rant:

plus, I'll admit, when something is supposed to do something and it doesn't (whether I need it or not), it drives me crazy;):D

I just did a chat session with Dish, here's the log...

3/20/12 Live Assistance
dishnetwork.custhelp.com/app/chat/landing_cust_en_unauth/referrer/fromlaunch/first_name/«/270 1/5
DISH: Hi, my name is DISH. How may I help you?
DISH: Hello Customer.
DISH: How are you doing today?
Customer: I'm a new customer. I just had the Hopper /w 2 Joey's installed Sunday 3/17. I have been unable to get the "Home Media" feature to work at all. I've tried multiple apps that are listed and the Hopper does not see them as valid devices. My other DLNA devices work just fine, this looks to be Hopper related. Can you help please?
DISH: Please give me a moment while I go through your response.
DISH: I will transfer you to an Advanced Technical Support agent to do troubleshooting. I appreciate your patience; please hold while I transfer you at this time.
DISH has disconnected.
DISH: Hi, my name is DISH. How may I help you?
DISH: I¶m sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I¶d be happy to resolve that for you. Please give me a moment to access your account and review your conversation with the previous agent.
DISH: What is one of the devices?
Customer: The "devices" are are PC's running the software listed. I tried TVersity as it shows is supported, as well as another app called Serviio. The Hopper does not see either.
Customer: Firewalls on the PC's running this software are turned off.
Customer: I can ping the Hopper on the network without issue.
DISH: Okay one moment.
Customer: I'm an IT Systems Engineer, so I know my way around networking and computer stuff pretty well. Seems like a bug with the Hopper so far.
DISH: Okay. Give me a few minutes.
Customer: Thanks, brb.
DISH: Okay.
DISH: Are you using direct connect Ethernet or are you using a HIC?
Customer: The Hopper has two Ethernet jacks on the back, I'm using one of those to access my LAN.
DISH: So your only using the HIC or you have both connected?
Customer: The top one if it matters.
DISH: So your only using the HIC or you have both connected?
Customer: I don't know what a HIC is.
DISH: Ah.
DISH: Give me a moment.
Customer: I don't think we have any extra components besides the Hopper itself, and the two Joey's, and my sling adapter (which also I have yet to get to work).
DISH: DLNA only works if your using an adapter called a HIC. I need a moment.
Customer: Okay, I was not told that when I ordered. ;(
DISH: I think I can send you one for free one sec.
Customer: Wonderful, I'm sure I can self-install.
Customer: How does that differ from the Ethernet jack
DISH: They are pretty simple.
DISH: For security purposes, would you please verify the last four digits of the Social Security Number on the account?
Customer: Also, I had planned to use this feature in all my rooms, so does one HIC work for my entire Hopper, 2 Joey setup, or do I need a HIC for each device/node?
Customer: XXXX
DISH: I have your shipping address listed as XXXX Is this correct?
Customer: Correct.
DISH: Your Return Authorization Number is XXXX.
DISH: When you receive your replacement equipment please read the instructional letter first. There will be no return shipping labels. We are shipping your equipment by UPS BLUE 2ND DAY and you should receive it in 3 to 5 days.
DISH: Is there anything else I may assist you with?
DISH: Oh the HIC is Hopper Internet Connector. They haven't released the reason why that only works with the HIC sorry.
Customer: What about my last question, does this one HIC allow DLNA to be accessed from my Hopper as well as my Joey's?
DISH: From what I can find it should allow it through the whole system.
Customer: Okay, thank you.
DISH: Anytime.
Customer: I will give it a shot and let you know.
DISH: Sounds good.
Customer: Now, how about the sling adapter.
DISH: What about it?
Customer: I have it installed, but I have yet to get it to work.
DISH: Are you logged into DISHonline.com?
Customer: I tried on my iPhone accessing the net via WiFi, as well as my PC using the Live feature of the site, I hafve yet to see video.
Customer: Yes I am.
DISH: Do you see the hopper in the drop down receiver list next to the picture of the reciever?
Customer: On moment, getting there now.
Customer: It says Basment/Slingbox at the top right when logged in.
DISH: So you don't see the hopper in the list?
Customer: I don't see a list.
Customer: Do I need to click Live TV first?
DISH: No. Do you see an arrow next to the picture of the receiver?
Customer: I do not
DISH: Go to my account.
DISH: WHat reciever is listed?
Customer: RXXXXXXXXXX
Customer: Basment's Sling Adapter
DISH: That's our problem.
Customer: that's all
Customer: Odd.
Customer: Not sure how I control that.
DISH: At the hopper press menu, settings, network setup, tests, then send status.
Customer: I did that a few days ago, and it was successful, let me do it again, one moment.
DISH: Thanks.
Customer: Connecting... Please wait.
Customer: DONE! Call Out Successful
DISH: I like it.
Customer: But, that's what I got the other day. :)
DISH: Log out of Dishonline.com and back in.
Customer: Same thing, only the sling listed.
DISH: One sec.
Customer: Here is a screenshot.
Customer: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BqlPjuDqOrJQk10NkoyVUhUN3VUeC1SR2JSZFRzUQ
DISH: Thanks.
DISH: Click on the picture of the reciever for me.
DISH: Who is you internet provider?
Customer: Time Warner Cable
DISH: Anything happen when you click on the picture of the reciever?
Customer: Odd, when I clicked on it, does show DVR Usage: 5% full, so it's communicating to you somehow to know that.
Customer: Took me to a my recordings page
DISH: Press menu at the hopper and go to VOD.
DISH: How many titles do you see?
Customer: A bunch
DISH: More than 50?
Customer: Very long scroll bar.
DISH: More than 50?
Customer: hang on, i have to count the rows
Customer: yes, more than 50
DISH: Go to the guide on DISHonline.com and select a show.
Customer: I just clicked on one of my shows
DISH: Go to the guide on DISHonline.com and select a show.
Customer: One moment.
Customer: One moment.
Customer: video loading...
Customer: receiving stream data...
DISH: I like it.
Customer: it changed screens a bit, presented some video controls (like play, pause, etc), but no video.
Customer: here is a screenshot
Customer: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BqlPjuDqOrJZG5WREhiSThRYW00NGhYbTlsdjAzZw
DISH: I'm blocked from the screen shots.
Customer: Pretty similar to what I got on the iPhone
DISH: What browser are you using?
Customer: it looks like its working, but I never get a video image
Customer: Chrome
DISH: Try Firefox for me.
DISH: Chrome has issues.
Customer: is IE okay, I don't run FF usually.
DISH: Worth a shot.
Customer: I can get it if need be.
DISH: Let's try IE first.
Customer: trying now, bear with me.
DISH: No problem.
DISH: Make sure you logged out on Chrome.
Customer: slingplayer plug in installing
Customer: The Hopper is pretty cool by the way, nice device.
DISH: I'm getting one soon.
Customer: This time it told me that another user is on that box, I'm taking over the stream.
Customer: receving stream data...
DISH: Fingers crossed.
Customer: same here
Customer: same exact issue
Customer: it shows the channel name
Customer: i get the video controls toolbar
Customer: it says no video signal on that toolbar
DISH: Try changing channels.
Customer: same thing, also, i'm watching the TV i took control over, it's on the wall in front of me
Customer: it's still showing tv
Customer: it's as if it never took over the stream
Customer: channels are showing the names at the bottom as I change channels, but still no video signal.
Customer: I wonder if the HIC is needed for that as well.
DISH: I'm going to submit a report to our engineering department to look at your account. Keep logging out and back in to see if it's working.
Customer: okay
DISH: Sorry we couldn't get that going.
Customer: Soon...
Customer: New product, bugs are expected.
Customer: I just would rather make sure they are known.
DISH: Always fun.
Customer: Par for the course.
DISH: Do you have any other questions for me?
Customer: Also, I get the exact same results from my iPhone app.
Customer: If that's useful for engineering
DISH: I would expect that.
Customer: Okay.
Customer: That's it for now.
DISH: Thank you for using DISH Chat and have a great night!
Customer: What should my expectations be, a follow up email/call?
DISH: They usually don't contact you. I would just keep logging in.
Customer: Umm, yeah...
Customer: I will call back in a week or so if it's not working.
Customer: thanks for your help and the HIC, I hope that works.
DISH: Sounds good. I'm submiting the report now. Oh I would try Firefox too just in case.
Customer: Yeah, I will, long shot, but I will.
DISH: Sounds good.
DISH: Thank you for using DISH Chat and have a great night!
DISH has disconnected.

So, even though the Hopper has 2 Ethernet jacks on the back, for some reason I need a HIC to make DLNA work. That seems really goofy to me. I guess I will wait a few days until the HIC arrives and see if it helps or if I get the same results with that in the mix (which will really be disappointing and result in a nasty call to Dish).

FYI, here is another post from this forum describing the HIC (which I didn't know existed until my research as part of this thread).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/277270-dish-hopper-internet-connector-info.html

Last edited:
Well I watched a bunch of stuff last night via DLNA but tonight its not finding ANY of my servers.

I reset the network connections and still finding nothing. :(

Can HIC be hooked up in line with a hopper or can it only be hooked up in line with the Joey? DuoNode>HIC>Hopper.

Not technically in-line, but you can use a tap at the Hopper location to connect the HIC.

I haven't been able to get my two hoppers to see my DLNA server either, and I don't have a HIC installed because I have direct ethernet connections. However, I have access to a HIC. I will try it out and see if DLNA works (I doubt it will). Will post an update either way.

On support chat trying to get a tap added to my order and the CSR is giving me a hard time over a $2 part.
Wants to troubleshoot the system. Geez they already agreed I need a HIC, just send me the darn tap.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Joeys now show connected to internet (where as before with ethernet on both hoppers they were connected, but not showing as connected). And....they show my TVersity server!!!!

So to all the people who can't get DLNA working, you need a HIC instead of a direct ethernet connection to the Hopper. At least at this point in time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts