My R-15 Rant

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrSnarkyPants

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
I've had a R-10 for a couple of years. Last week it started rebooting itself hourly, so we called D*.

For $19.95, they'd send us a reconditioned R-15 for a one year committment. Not great, but given the options, it seemed like the best thing to do.

So, three days later a box arrives - with a D-11 inside. 45 minutes later on the phone with Customer No-Service and a R-15 was on the way.

Two days later, a reconditioned R-15 arrived. I should note that during the time from when the wrong box arrived and now, the R-10 stabilized and stopped rebooting itself. I went ahead and installed the R-15 anyway.

Call to activate. Find out that I need to commit to two years and not one. Bounce up to a higher tier. They won't give in on the two years. Ugh. I hold my nose and agree. Big mistake.

Fire up the R-15 and realize that what everyone on this board has said is true: this is the biggest piece of crap that I've seen since the DVR that we had with Time Warner - except that the Time Warner DVR was easier to understand.

I decided to try programming a season pass like I used to do on the Tivo. Clunky interface note #1: when searching for The Sopranos in the Tivo, you look under S (Sopranos, The). In the R-15, you look under T, for The. After cursing that, I attempted to set up the series link. I couldn't do it from that screen, despite what the book said. Clunky user interface note #2: several times during receiver setup or using the program guide, the unit would not respond or would catch up to my button presses by executing three or four pushes after a 10 second wait. Clunky user interface #3 - as with the D-10, there is no way to hide channels in the program guide that you don't get. The "Channels I Get" will display everything - including all the channels that you don't get - and cannot be edited. If you program a Favorites, it won't stick half the time.

Note to DirecTV: if you have to publish a 16 page "quick start" guide to teach me how to record the friggin Sopranos when I could figure it out by picking up my DirecTivo remote - and I do tech support for a living, don't expect this box to pass the Wife test - especially when you're forcing me to keep your buggy POS for two years.

So, I called D* back, turned off the R-15, reinstalled the R-10, and put the R-15 back in the box. They neglected to include a return label with this POS, so they have to send me a new box so I can get the return label.

Things to take away from my experience:

-- Everything you've read about the R-15 is true. Perhaps if your only exposure to a DVR is one of the Scientific Atlanta cable boxes, this won't be so bad... but moving from the R-10 to a R-15 is like moving from a Lexus to a Yugo.

-- D*'s customer service doesn't handle box exchanges very well. They wasted my time and their money sending the wrong box - and then sending the right box without the proper return authorization. This is no way to run a business

-- If you have a R-10, do what you can to keep it running.

-- If this is what I have to look forward to with moving to HD, I suppose I should start shopping for a used HD Tivo on E-bay, because I don't want to go through the same frustration. I expect new technology to do more, not less.

-- The one thing that the R-15 does better than the R-10 is the startup - it's much faster. On the other hand, the graphics on the R-15 are crude in comparison.

I had read all the complaints on this board and thought that people must be nitpicky - and surely they've fixed the bugs in two years. Nope. They started with a craptacular basic satellite box and added a DVR with craptacular controls and dressed it up with a bunch of blue LED's on the front panel.

FedEx can't take this box off my hands fast enough. Good riddance!

I wonder if you didnt get an old software version... why? because I installed 3 R15s at my parents house 2 months ago and they have not had problem 1. Search (i will give on the "The versus S" issue as it annoyed me too) had no problem, set a season pass for several series on each TV. I dont have any delay issues either on any of their TVs. I really think you may have gotten a bad one.

I have all Tivos currently, but thats because I havent replaced or changed receivers in a few years. My HD tivo has been having issues but I plan to get an HR20 here in the next month or 2 and the bigger dish in prep for the new hd.

If you plan to upgrade to HD you will only get the MPEG2 channels with the HD TIVO.

The box did download a software update before I started playing with it. (It decided to download the update as soon as the call center took me off of hold to activate the receiver...)

The R-10 has started acting up again. I think I'm done with D*. I'm giving U-verse a shot in two weeks.

FYI that to setup a season pass you just need to hit the record button twice. That's it.

R15 has been less then stellar. But it's been getting a lot CE/beta's lately (finally) so it's getting a lot of the improvements that the HR20 has gotten.

DirecTV is listening. For example based on our complaints about the search like you mentioned the HR20 now searches with "The" at the end of the search. Not sure if that has made it down to the R15 yet or not.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose!

I have both a Dtivo and 3 R15's, the Tivo by far is more superior in performance and reliability, the only reason I have 3 R15's is because 2 were free and the other was $100.

The R15 is used for backup only, I don't care how much improved the R15 has gotten, they are not up to par compaired to the Tivo.

TIVO is a superior DVR heads and tails over the R15.

• Reliability
  • Dual Buffers
  • Skip to tick
  • 30 second "skip"(even though I don't use that function it's available.)
  • Doesn't record repeats if you don't want it to.
  • Did I mention DUAL BUFFERS

The R15 is worse than the SA8xxx cable DVRs with Passport. I finally got to try out one of my neighbor's R15s. It totally sucks whereas my SA8300HDs only kind of suck.

D* should call up Tivo, apologize for ending the relationship, and beg them to come back.

Ted

We have three TiVo based DVRs (one HD) and one HR20. I hope against hope that the TiVos will last forever, but we know MPEG 4 will demand the darned HR20.

We so love our TiVo software. We know there are differences of opinion, but we are in the camp of "D* proprietary boxes sucketh big time." If only Verizon FIOS would get TiVo boxes, then TV heaven would have finally arrived on earth.

We so love our TiVo software. We know there are differences of opinion, but we are in the camp of "D* proprietary boxes sucketh big time." If only Verizon FIOS would get TiVo boxes, then TV heaven would have finally arrived on earth.

I love Tivo too but I actually prefer the Directv HR20. I agree Tivo and FIOS combo would be really cool.

I love Tivo too but I actually prefer the Directv HR20. I agree Tivo and FIOS combo would be really cool.

Like I said, there are differences of opinion. I, on the other hand, hate the damn HR20, but it works o.k., so there is no rant about it.

My wife likes brussels sprouts. Go figure.

The original poster mentioned the "all chans I get" not working in the favorites section. I'm a new customer and I noticed that this morning. I was going to call, am I wasting my time?
Charlie

The original poster mentioned the "all chans I get" not working in the favorites section. I'm a new customer and I noticed that this morning. I was going to call, am I wasting my time?
Charlie

Yes, it doesn't work until they can update other older receivers that choke on the new guide data stream that is needed to make it work. Don't waste your time calling, there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)