My receiver doesn't list AMC 9. What do I do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CenterFreq

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Once again, we have moved to another state. This time, I have mounted my Geosat Pro 1.2m dish eight feet up on the side of a tree (see my avatar). But when I went to the installation menu of my Viewsat PVR 7000, the receiver doesn't even list AMC 9 (83.0w) as an option. The last time this one was installed, it was pointed at 123.0w, or maybe 125.0w, I can't recall. Anyway, the receiver was purchased new in early 2008. Wasn't AMC 9 around back then? How can I get my receiver to know about AMC 9 so I can finish the install? Thanks.

1) Does it list a satellite at 83W? Change it's name.
2) Add a satellite - 83W AMC9 Add TP's 11735 H 4439, 11835 H 26666(strong), 12125 V 15000(Strong)
Can't say how the menus are set up to do either though.

If you are unable to add a new sat to your list, or modify an existing one, it's really not a problem.

If it is a fixed dish (no motor) you can use any satellite that is already in your list, just add the tp info that FaT Air listed above for 83W.

With a fixed install the receiver doesn't need to know where the dish is pointed, you just need the correct setup parameters, and a live tp entered, then you can scan in the rest once you are aimed properly.

No, it does not show a satellite at 83.0w. It has Nimiq 2 at 82 and Brazilsat at 84. Also, I do not see an option to add or edit a satellite in this menu. Maybe somewhere else? I'll try checking other menus, but this one is the Installation menu.

Not sure about viewsat 7000, but other viewsats you add or edit through the channel scan menu. Arrow down twice and there should be options using F1 F2, etc.

You also might have to arrow right across. there is edit TP . add TP and rename , etc.

Last edited:
Okay, Catamount is correct in that you can add a satellite through the Channel Scan menu, which seems odd. Anyway, I have added UserSat-1, but I cannot (so far) change it's name. I was able to add the three transponders suggested by FaT Air, and I noticed that the second number of each pair is called the "symbol rate". The polarization was next, a simple up or down arrow selection, and finally there was the "FEC" which I left at Auto. After doing a save, I tried scanning, but I need to put the signal finder back into the path and try to acurately hit 83 degrees. I'm only seeing 59 S and no Q at all. It's getting dark up her in the central Idaho mountains, so I will report back tomorrow. Thank you ALL so much!!

I edited my last post. It is easy to rename. I added G17 today under usersat 4 and exited. Then went back and renamed.

Catamount

Catamount is right about adding through Channel Scan, which seems odd. I'll be right back.

On my viewsat platinum, hit channel scan, then arrow down twice. You should be on tpedit. Arrow over right 3 times and it says rename. Then press enter.

Catamount

I shoulda bought Platinum. The third option is grayed out, cursor jumps right to Delete a Satellite. I'll stick with UserSat-1 for now. I will report back tomorrow.

You might want to try renaming a sat you would never use, like an atlantic sat around 1- 10 degrees. But usersat-1 is fine. The box doesn't care what the name is . It's only for your knowledge.

My remote doesn't have alphabet characters and there doesn't seem to be some way to select letters. But anyway, that problem is now last on the list. I can't seem to get more than 62 S no matter what sat my receiver thinks I'm aiming at. UserSat-1 only gives me a 56 S no matter how I point it. I'm beginning to think I have too much attenuation over the cable, which is about 200'. My LNB is a DMS International, Model JSC322 (universal). Was I too optimistic with that much distance between LNB and receiver?

200 ft, if good quality RG-6 should be good to go.
Universal LNBF, is LNB setup Standard, 22Khz ON, LO 10600? Or LNBF setup set to Universal, Auto 22Khz, LO 9750-10600?

It's set to Universal, Auto 22Khz, LO 9750-10600. What's the 22Khz used for?
And not to leave any stone unturned, about 130' of the RG-6 is buried 3 to 4 inches in the dirt.

phlatwound said:
Have you tried taking a receiver and tv out to the dish and trying it with a known good short piece of coax?

Don't forget he nailed it to a tree, and also needs 200 ft of extension cord to get there....

Don't forget he nailed it to a tree, and also needs 200 ft of extension cord to get there....

Yeh, I didn't really think about that being an issue, but I have about 1000' of extension cord and 2 generators...and a battery-powered tv...and a receiver that will operate on 12V ;)

One way or the other, if all else fails, I would try another piece of coax, of whatever length is required.

It's set to Universal, Auto 22Khz, LO 9750-10600. What's the 22Khz used for?
A universal LNB(F) is only required to receive transponders between 10700 and 11700.
LO 9750 (22Khz Off) will receive 10600 - 11700
LO 10600 (22Khz On) will receive 11700 - 12750
If the transponders you want to get are between 11700 and 12750 a Standard LNB(F) is all that's required. LO=10750. 22Khz can be used to select another LNBF/dish with a 22Khz switch.

One trick that speeds up scanning domestic satellites with a Universal LNBF is to not enable the 9750 LO.
This is done by selecting Standard LNB(F) type. Setting LO to 10600. And turning 22Khz ON.

Status
Please reply by conversation.