My satellite story..... I need reassurance!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thisisrybo

Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
This time last year, I decided we were paying too much for cable. So, I started looking at some satellite packages. After looking, I decided to go with Dish Network because I would be able to get the HD-DVR free. I call them, set up the install, make my order, and I'm ready. Or at least that is what I thought. When the installer showed up, he immediately had a weird look on his face. He asked if our house had already been denied because of line of sight. I tell him not that I know of. Anyway, he goes on to tell us that we absolutely can not get a signal with our setup. All of this would probably have been fine and I would have probably had no problem with this if he had not given me the "I just don't want to deal with this so I'm going to be lazy and tell them no way, no how" vibe. He wasn't there for more than five minutes and then he was gone. He did not give us any information as to what we might could do to get a signal and did not offer any reason behind why there was a problem. We were shocked to say the least. I was immediately skeptical about how the installer handled the situation. Although I was very flustered, I continued looking for answers. Eventually, I found someone who installs for Direct on the side. I asked him about this situation, and he came to my house to see what the problem could be.

Obviously, there are trees in my backyard, which points to the south. But they are not big trees and the guy that installs on the side came out and insured me that I COULD get a good clear signal with a pole in my backyard. He told me that he thought the Dish installer was definately being lazy and could've gotten the job done for sure. After he insured me of this I was still scared about the whole deal and was reluctant to deal with this again.

Until now. With Direct TV's new 4 months of free premier with NFL ST and free hd-dvr, I had to jump on the opportunity. So I did. It is ordered, and they'll be here on the 4th of Oct. Here are my questions....

Do installers not like to use the pole job??
Is there a certain limit on how far the pole can be from the house??
Are installers usually that reluctant to try and get a signal if it just looks like you can't get one?
Was the installer being lazy in your opinion??
What can I do to prepare for the install??
Should I be scared that I will get another guy like before and he will not be willing to help??

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading my story!! Like I said in the title, I will take any reassurance I can get, because it just feels like it will never happen!!

Thanks!!:confused:

WELCOME!

Here are my questions....

It depends on who you get; as with anything else in life I guess.

YES, I would stay under 100' - 120' if possible, but you may be able to go a bit more than that.

Are installers usually that reluctant to try and get a signal if it just looks like you can't get one?

See answer #1

In your case, likely so IMHO.

Be prepared to talk to your installer and make sure you are both on the same page BEFORE he starts; if there is anything you DON'T, make sure he know this too. Don't sign off on anything before you know everything is 110% correct and working.

Should I be scared that I will get another guy like before and he will not be willing to help??

Don't be scared, just prepared; stuff happens. If it does, post your zip to see if one of the installers that reads/post here may be in your area and willing to help. Maintain a courteous and positive attitude.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks for reading my story!! Like I said in the title, I will take any reassurance I can get, because it just feels like it will never happen!!

GOOD LUCK and let us know the outcome.

I can't make a claim to know whether the first guy was lazy or not without seeing your home.

What I CAN tell you is that Dish Network's Dish points in a different direction that Directs... Dish also has a very strict "Quality Assurance" program that requires 5 degrees of clearance for Line of Sight... in all directions. If the installation gets QAS'ed, that installer is held responsible for breaking the policy.

It doesn't take me more than a few minutes to determine if I can get Line of Sight these days..... although I would have handled it a bit more professionally and with some empathy at least.

In short, just relax.... we aren't all sleeze bags :p

A) The pole is usually extra if they can install the dish elsewhere but you prefer the pole anyway. My installers in Chicago don't charge for the pole but expect a nice gratuity (should be given anyways for a great install anyway). They will help with the pole mount but expect you to have the cement on hand & hole dug. Working on ground is usually much easier than on a roof.

B) The closest to the house the better & even closer to where the cable enters the house is ideal. Generally, 150 ft of cable run to your receivers is D's suggested limit.

C) There are good & poor installers. If they feel that some of the work should be custom (extra money) but D* writes down a 6 hour job for them to complete they might just bolt with this excuse. A good installer would tell you whats up & explain the extra charges & why. I've done many installs that look impossible but have always found a LOS even at the top of a chimney.
The signals might drop off in the summer (with leaves & such) but a Little pruning & all well.

D) Yes, lazy or in a hurry.

F) Have an idea of where you would like the install (your ideal place). Look S/W or S/E (Don't know where your at) & think about your LOS window.
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
Enter your zip code & select Direct Tv 5LNB for an idea. Think about where all those cable are going & try to get them into one common place (Utility closet) where you make adjustments/additions) easily in the future.

G) I don't know about being scared because if you get a good technician you will be fine. If you need cable runs into many rooms & phishing cables through walls prepare/negotiate a price. If that fails your local high end retailers will help you out in the end. Just takes one guy with some pride.

a good tech will work with you to put the job in the ground, pardon the pun. remember that he'll not get paid if he can't do it. if he accomplishes what he set out to do to your satisfaction, a tip would be a nice gesture.

I had 2 DirecTV installers who were unable to complete my install as they would not go on my roof (fairly steep 2-story colonial). I ended up contacting a local antenna installation company who also does DTV installs (under "satellite" in the yellow pages) and they were able to go on the roof and did an excellent install. I ended up having to pay for some of the install but contacted DTV and they have provided about $250 in programming to make up for the cost. So my advice, even if this installer says he can't do it, find someone local, they will take the time to discuss the install with you and tell you exactly what they can and cannot do. They are also likely to guarantee their work (my guy provides one year on his work) and you always have someone local to call if there are problems (an idea I like a whole lot better than some random person coming out if I have a problem). Good luck.

(fairly steep 2-story colonial).

I bet those D* rookies eyes opened wide when they saw that slope. Good job in getting it done & D's CSR's never cease to amaze me. Nice to see so many :up posts regarding CSR's because that is truly where it all starts.

for directv pole ount is free if the dish annot be mounted on house. Alot of techs prefer to mount and are encouraged to pole mount on HD Installs

I'll second BigStein's post as I had almost exactly the same situation with the local DirecTV installer. I found my private installer through a local home theater company and was able to negotiate some credit with DirecTV because of my out-of-pocket expenses. Where there's a will there's a way. The only thing I found funny was a few months after I got my Slimline installed I upgraded to an HD-DVR. When the tech delivered the equipment he wanted to look at the dish to make sure, even though I knew it was right, that I indeed had a Slimline. I showed him the dish and he remarked that "their" tech did a great job installing it. I laughed and explained I had to have it done privately and the tech remarked that the first one should have done it.

What I CAN tell you is that Dish Network's Dish points in a different direction that Directs... Dish also has a very strict "Quality Assurance" program that requires 5 degrees of clearance for Line of Sight... in all directions. If the installation gets QAS'ed, that installer is held responsible for breaking the policy.

This is true. Some are too quick to say Dish/Direct installers must be lazy/incompetent because the other guys were able to do an install. Seperate satellite locations and quality rules make a world of difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)