My tech. looks puzzled!!!

Tom7165

Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Had a 322 reciever installed today for two tv's. Tech hooked up quad pro twin lnb. One line for 119 and one for 121. Ran these two lines to ground block. Ran two lines from ground block to 322 reciever. One went in sat 1 the other in sat 2. He ran a line from tv 2 output to my tv in other room. Is this right?!?!?!?! I admit I am new, but he acted like he didn't know what he was doing. Please hellllllppppp. Thank you in advance.

Well, first, there's no such thing as a "quad pro twin lnb". Second, you probably mean 119 and 110 (standard Dish 500) not 119 121 (SuperDish).

That being said, you probably have a DishPro Quad or Twin. The difference (to you) is how many tuners you can run off it. Twin = 2 (or one 322 receiver). Quad = 4 (leaving you expansion room).

Sounds like he did it right - assuming the grounding is good, and other details such as drip loops.

The bottom line: Does it work on both TVs? :D

He said that the antenna was missing from the packaging and that he would return tomorrow to complete the job. So no, to answer your question, but maybe tomorrow! :) Im such a NOOOBBBBBBB! :D

Simple Simon, he also mentioned something about diplexing, but said he wanted to save his diplexers? What did he mean and how would that setup have been hooked up. Thanks!!!

Diplexers are used when you have to share the cable between satellite in and TV out.

On a per-case basis, you decide whether to use an extra cable run, or if it makes more sense (money and time) to share at least some of the run.

I hate to explain it this way, but they hook up like splitters (but they are NOT splitters). One port is marked TV, one is SAT, the single is COM (or similar markings). You stuff TV signal in one end, it comes out the TV port of the other. Stuff satellite signal into that port, it comes out the same port at the other end. They are frequency division multiplexer/demultiplexers. They can also be used to share an OTA antenna with satellite on the same cable.

Sounds like he is trying to use a turk antenna for your local channel, and is going to diplex them into the lines, which is pretty simple, assuming he doesnt get consused by which line he diplexed from the outside to the inside. But his wire configuration sounds right, the 322 back feeds to another room. If he looked confused, thats just cause he works for dishnetwork, and they have a guy sitting in a lil room some where in denver, and all he does is think up ways to confuse techs. I hope they pay him well.

Hey guys, I am a level 3 installer out of the detroit area and i think your installer is trying to use your existing cable to shortcut the install. by using diplexers, he can output the signal going to tv 2 through the same wire he brought sat 2 into the box. then all he has to do is de-diplex it at your main cable junction. this technique saves me alot of time with all you guys and your ?22's!!. hope that helps and wasnt too confusing.

Teletran1 said:
Hey guys, I am a level 3 installer out of the detroit area and i think your installer is trying to use your existing cable to shortcut the install. by using diplexers, he can output the signal going to tv 2 through the same wire he brought sat 2 into the box. then all he has to do is de-diplex it at your main cable junction. this technique saves me alot of time with all you guys and your ?22's!!. hope that helps and wasnt too confusing.
My parent's house is hooked up this way for TV2 as well.

I did something pretty much just like this at one point in time. I had a typical antenna setup using diplexers. In addition, I had a splitter at one TV for the antenna line that allowed an RF modulator to "insert" my XBox or DVR's output to go back up the line. This way my 2nd television could watch recorded content or watch a movie from XBMC.

All in all it didn't work out too bad. Soon after I did this Dish put up my locals, pretty much negating the need for the antenna and I sold the 2nd receiver. We only ever watched something on one TV at a time so it was just wasting money paying the mirror fee.

cdru: From the sound of it, you may have been broadcasting your XBox or DVR signal back up out your antenna - it depends on just what hardware you really had.

Point of the post is: Do NOT diplex/split/combine a receiver's TV output onto the same cable as an OTA antenna unless you really know what you're doing!

Does diplexing degrade the sat signal in a material way? Can you get a diplexer that also modulates the signal to a channel other than what it is fed. This is a bit of a tangent, but how hard and costly is it if I want to feed a home run from 2 receivers and have the rest of the house be able to tune into either signal. For example, have channel 3 be viewing tuner 1 and channel 10 view tuner 2.

I take it that channel 3 and channel 4 are too close together to use the options "built in" to the dish receivers. (If it matters, I have a 301 and a 721 and plan on diplexing the 721 down to the home run in the basement.)

Thanks,

Normaly diplexers dont cause issues on stand alone recievers but at my office we have experienced several issues inregards to the diplexers not working with the dual tuners very well and generaly avoid them as a rule of thumb on any 22 series reciever.

Tweakophyte: Diplexers do not modulate. They simply pass one frequency band on one port, and a different band on the other port. In the case of an x22, the 2 outputs are on different bands - TV1 is VHF (3 or 4) and TV2 is UHF, well up in the 2-digit range. You would have no problem putting them on the same diplexer. A splitter used in reverse should work OK - as long as there's no OTA antennas involved! If you want to put, say two x22 boxes all on the same feed cable, you might run into some trouble with the 2 TV1 feeds - and then again, it might work fine. Depends on how good the x22 modulators are, and with E*'s lack of quality control, ya just don't know. Note that the TV1 outputs are NOT MTS stereo, but the TV2 outputs ARE.

Van: Maybe it's the brand of diplexer? Maybe other installation issues?

I have a 721 and a 301, so no x22 in my house yet. If I had an x22 box and a 301, I'd imagine I could diplex both boxes back to the home run distribution panel, then combine them (via a standard splitter?) into the "cable" input.

It is not clear to me. If I use Ch. 3 from one box and Ch. 4 from another box, can I combine them and view either box on one TV? Are Ch.3 and Ch. 4 too close (and will interfere with each other)?

I thought maybe there was an all-in-one approach where you could diplex Ch. 3 in and have it modulate to another channel on the output.

Thanks again,

Tweakophyte said:
It is not clear to me. If I use Ch. 3 from one box and Ch. 4 from another box, can I combine them and view either box on one TV? Are Ch.3 and Ch. 4 too close (and will interfere with each other)?

Generally, that should work. Wire the two IRD boxes to the output side of a passive splitter, and then take the combined signal from the input side of the splitter. You are using the splitter as a combiner. The splitter will sum the two box signals. This will only give good results if the box sending channel 3 is not sending anything on channel 4, and vice-versa. Usually this is the situation.

You typically can't do this when adding a box to an OTA feed. Even if your area has nothing on say channel 4, there is enough noise off the antenna so that the box channel 4 signal summed with the OTA will be noisy. In those situations, look into getting a signal combiner, which is an active notch filter / combiner with sharp filter slopes. Signal combiners are readily available for channel 3 or 4. If you area does not have OTA on channel 4, get a combiner that is set to channel 4.

Nothing to stop you from using two signal combiners to add channels 3 and 4 to an OTA feed, assuming your area does not use OTA channels 3 and 4.

You could take the output of the passive combiner or active combiner to a diplexer and run that with the satellite feed to anywhere you need it to go.

The possibilities are endless!

Keith.

Note that you MUST use a "real" combiner when an OTA antenna is involved on the same cable, or you will end up transmitting YOUR outputs to the neighborhood. While generally the outgoing signal is too weak to be a real problem, the FCC frowns upon this.

I am double-dilpexed and combined! On one TV Ch3 looks good, while on another Ch4 looks good. I will be shopping for a modulator later today.

This was fun! Thanks for the help.

PS Check my "...romex" thread for an update on that situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts