This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

My thoughts on the Motorola 6416

jrjazzman

Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Haven't done a lot of recording with these units yet. I understand there are a number of issues in this area. I'm coming from a Dish 942, so my opinions are mainly in comparison to the 942

Pros:
Tunes into channel quickly
Scrolling through channel list is fast
Configurable audio compression (level compression, not data) levels. Haven't tested this out much.

Cons:
Interface doesn’t take advantage of wide screen
Doesn’t show enough letters of title to know what it is
Doesn’t display actors
Doesn’t display year
Remote is weak.. must be close and point perfectly at receiver
Remote is IR only. No UHF.
Lacks skip forward/backward feature.
Response to rewind/ff/pause/play is sluggish.
Doesn’t map HD locals to the local channel numbers.
No feature to hide channels not subscribed to.

(receiver review)

Last edited:
Yep, I agree. Boy, do I miss that 30 second skip! I wish at least it would back you up a bit in fast forward when you hit play ala Tivo. I'm hoping it will be added.

I've noticed you get the sluggish feel when you hit the ff/rew/play buttons to quickly together- kind of locks up at times.

The 6412 and 3412 Motorola box that I had on Comcast both had a way to assign a key on the remote to do a 30 second skip. Sorry I don't remember the sequence but I found it over a www.avsforum.com in the HD DVR section.

Did a little checking and no go.... the Comcast version uses a different remote. There may be some way of adding the skip, but I sure couldn't find it.

I think the "back you up a bit" feature is a Tivo-patented feature -- not sure, but that is my recollection . . . anyone else here know for sure?

DanWard said:
I think the "back you up a bit" feature is a Tivo-patented feature -- not sure, but that is my recollection . . . anyone else here know for sure?

Dish had it on their Dishplayer 7100/7200 but that was back in 1999. I don't know if the current receivers have it. I have no clue if Tivo patented that feature.