My True South !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shoes

Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just looking for some incite. I was reading what Iceburg was saying about our true south. I am at Long. -78.9.1, so would my true south sat be Echostar 4.8.
Is this done so that our true south sat is at the highest elevation with all other sats moving down in elevation as we scan, and would this have anything to do with limiting the skew on the dish?
Shoes

I am at Long. -78.9.1
I would use AMC5 @ 79 West, TP: 12177 H 20500

Is this done so that our true south sat is at the highest elevation...
Are you setting up a Motor? Then Yes, with the Motor at Zero, you should setup to the Highest Sat, which is your Trues South Sat. As the Motor moves away from it's Zero Point, it's dropping the Elevation AND Skewing the LNB / Dish.

Not setting up a motor I have a T-90. Just learning as much as I can at the moment being that I am planning my first fta setup. Thanks for the response Lak7.
So with a fixed dish I wont be concerned with a True south sat, right?

I would use AMC5 @ 79 West, TP: 12177 H 20500

That transponder used to be the best one for me to use when installing dishes as the longitude here is approx 79 degrees as well. However, this transponder is no longer active since January of 2010 as NYN moved to AMC 15. The only full time active transponder now is 11900 H 2150. However, the low symbol rate makes it slow to lock making it easier to miss the satellite when aligning a dish. I now find myself using AMC 9 @ 83 W to first find some signal and then go on AMC 5 to tweak the alignment.

your using a circular lnb for that sat? I have 2 Wave Frontier Reverse Polarity Dual DSS LNB (M20R) that came with my package which it seems I have no use for. What type of lnb would I need for echostar 7, an DBS lnb with a L/O of 10750?

You only need reverse-polarity circular LNBs for a toroidal dish (more accurately, a dish with a secondary reflector) if you're using them for a subscription. If you're just looking for NASA or the occasional mistakenly-unencrypted channel, it doesn't matter to your FTA receiver if it appears to be the polarity it's supposed to be or not. Likewise, the LO frequency of your LNB doesn't matter as long as your receiver lets you enter it.

OK I see, and yes the dish is a wave frontier T-90, and it was NASA I was interested in. Basically I have a 40 degrees of arc and I want to fill it up, so to speak.
So far I have chosen Galaxy 19, AMC 21, AMC 4, and possibly Echostar 7

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts