My Voom at Sears experience

milhouse

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
New Albany, IN
Last night I had to stop by Sears to check out some appliances and since I'm still considering Voom I thought I'd see what they had set-up. There was a TV with a Voom banner around it, but it was playing the same program as the other TV's. As I looked through the Voom brochure an employee (trainee on 2nd day) came up and asked if I was thinking about Voom. I said 'yeah' and he had good things to say about it; new technology, 130 hd channels (?), etc. He did say that they just sold the contracts and Voom handled the rest. No mention of the lease plan, just the $400 receiver.

So, as he was showing me 'what it could do' we're still on DishNetwork HD. Dish logo, guide, the whole works. I told him it was still DishNetwork. He asked for help and found the Voom remote. Still nothing. Finally I stepped in and switched the input on the TV until we found Voom. Only 3 channels were working; Ultra, Moov, and HDNews. I don't know what was up with the other basic channels. My problem was that Voom did look considerably softer than the DishNetwork Demo. I understand that the Demo is probably the best thing they have (it was the shark loop, but there was some pixelation). The only thing that I could get on Voom was a runway model show on Ultra. Not that impressive looking. Was it the program or the recent softness problem? I know the TV's there are set-up poorly, but still side by side there was a noticeable difference. The salesman did say that there was more programming on Voom, where DishHD loops a lot more.

Good old Sears. 130 HD channels is wrong. 133 TOTAL channels is more like it, with over 30 in HD. Voom will install for free, so there is really no risk to the consumer. Try it on YOUR equipment (TV), and if you don't like it or it compares unfavorably with what you currently have, you can have it uninstalled for free too.

Unfortunately, Sears display/sales of Voom are not very good, and I'm being very kind to Sears.

My fear is that the 'free' install won't be free by the time all is said and done. Invariably, little things pop up and the 'free' install costs a couple hundred bucks. That's really the only thing stopping me from giving Voom a shot.

Mine was completely F-R-E-E. If some slack-a$$ installer tries to charge you for anything make sure you get their name and phone number and report them to Voom and Installs Inc.

mad, I got some minor wall fishing without any charge!!

They ran the coax up from my basement into the first floor and replaced the jack on the wall. I was not charged for any of that, YET!

DragonLips said:
mad, I got some minor wall fishing without any charge!!

They ran the coax up from my basement into the first floor and replaced the jack on the wall. I was not charged for any of that, YET!

it's luck of the draw, when it comes to installers.
some guys actually take pride in doing the job right, other just want to see how many installs they can do in a day.

Mine was free, nice guy, but the yahoo forum was a must to actually getting it up and running

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)