my week long project

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Okay so don was right and once I saw a projector I was hooked, but good news is so was my wife, so we have decided on a project....that I get to do :)....I sold my dell projector to iceturkee but I sold it for what I had in it, she got a great deal...also sold my ps3 and a harmony remote as I had a goal in mind plus we havent been using the harmony remote for now as mikey the youngest picks it up and throws it and slobbers all over it....anyways I got 500 for everything and found a optoma hd66 open box from amazon that had 12 hours on it, for 500 bucks :D sooooooo now that we have a hd projector I also got a ceiling mount and a screen for 150 and we are taking down our 37 inch tv in my football room and making it into a theater...oh and yes I sold that 37 inch tv for you guessed it 150....all in all I have 0 out of pocket expense in our upgrade :) anyways this weekend I am taking the old tv off the wall patching, painting moving stuff around and getting ready to hang my screen and projector....I am a geek as I probably wont sleep too much as I will be measuring and cutting and everything else just to make sure it fits! here is the room now

2010-08-13_19-58-51_616.jpg

2010-08-13_19-59-17_688.jpg

2010-08-13_19-59-29_220.jpg

Last edited:
yeah I am going to get drapes to match the chairs (chocolate brown)...going to take my time and do this right! I have the screen and mount coming next week, might take a couple weeks to find good drapes

screen is this one here

Amazon.com: Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projection Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-100in (Matte?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rM5JlllUL.@@AMEPARAM@@41rM5JlllUL

and I have 2 other blu ray players I use a lg and a sony...no worries there ;)

edit: the reason for the screen is simple I was going to do a fixed screen but two things stopped me
#1. it blocks a window so during the day it will need to be up
#2. Wife approval factor of a screen just chilling on the wall was slim to none and slim was quickly leaving...so I told her we could get a screen to pull up during the day and have a picture behind it hanging :)

It'll be interesting to see this project finished.

You should have kept the PS3. It is one of the best Blu-ray players out there.

heres a thought don, or anyone else....what if I shelf mounted the projector (where the picture is in between the window and door) and I could either set the projector on the shelf, or hang it ceiling mount style still, that way I could possibly do away with well a the ceiling mount but also do away with not having to switch the fan in the room for just a regular light!

You should have kept the PS3. It is one of the best Blu-ray players out there.

I know...but I also had a plan for that :D optoma will be releasing (tis year is what I am reading) a add on to make this a real 3d ready projector (right now you have to use a pc) so once we start looking at 3d stuff I will probably slide back into a ps3. :D

just curious ( I will grab my projector and see where it needs to be) but how far up on the wall do you have yours? and how far up from the floor is your first bit of screen (viewing material) also what about ventilation? 2-3 inches from the wall sufficent?

okay hard part done!!!

2010-08-18_21-08-11_496.jpg

2010-08-18_21-07-54_664.jpg

I still have small things to do (get a longer power cord and get another wire hider for the power/hdmi cable, drapes, speaker stands or maybe even smaller speakers) but the main stuff is out of the way!!!! I am very happy with how it looks though!

don you will love this. I just guessed at where to put it and it worked out to fill the 100 inch screen perfectly!!! I love when a plan comes together! :D

throwing in Inglorious bastards now :)

okay I will update later with more pics as I got some yamaha speakers and wall mounted them, but I wanted to give you guys an idea of what I have been working on when I have the time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)