My wife wants a new phone but dosnt want a data plan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
My wife wants to upgrade her phone but dosnt want to get a data package!She uses her current flight (AT@T) phone for just talking and texting.She would like to get the GPS feature and use one of the free nav programs like maps but i think that a data package would be needed.My question here is there a smartphone she can get from AT@T without a data plan and if not what would be a good non smart phone she can get as a replacement for her present phone.

Most of the smartphone biggest advantages depend on the Internet. It is so convenient to be able to view emails, browse the Internet (and check out SatelliteGuys ;)) wherever you are. If someone gets a smartphone, I strongly recommend getting, a data plan, rather than trying to avoid it. The cheapest one from AT&T is $15 a month (200MB), I think. It also gives you free unlimited access to all AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots.

As for GPS, most free apps depend on the Internet, but some paid GPS apps (like TomTom), do not require Internet, as all of their maps are pre-loaded to your phone.

My wife lost her phone last month,(Verizon) and they don't have phones that are not smart anymore. So much for the phone insurance plan:( I got a used LG Octane for her. I don't know what I'm going to do next time I need a phone. Data plan would kill me. Allready $150/mo for 700min and texting.

Is the objection to a data plan, the monthly expense?
If so, here's one reasonable way to go on that.

Simple Mobile has lowered their everything 3G plan to $40 per month.
That gets you talk/text/web unlimited.
(we don't need to argue the unlimited-ness of data, here) ;)
I'm considering it to run a recycled iPhone.

Full disclosure: the underlying carrier is T-mobile.
- how is their service in your area? (here in Los Angeles, everybody has good coverage) ;)
- if you run a used and unlocked iPhone, it won't achieve 3G speeds, it'll only get up to 2G (EDGE), I believe.
- you'd want to find a used T-Mobile-friendly smart phone, to get full 3G speed.
- this is a month by month plan, so you can drop it any time and do something else; no contract!
- I bought a startup-kit on Amazon for about $2 that included the sim card. (yes, it's legit)

Last edited:
Is the objection to a data plan, the monthly expense?
If so, here's one reasonable way to go on that.

Simple Mobile has lowered their everything 3G plan to $40 per month.
That gets you talk/text/web unlimited.
(we don't need to argue the unlimited-ness of data, here) ;)
I'm considering it to run a recycled iPhone.

Full disclosure: the underlying carrier is T-mobile.
- how is their service in your area? (here in Los Angeles, everybody has good coverage) ;)
- if you run a used and unlocked iPhone, it won't achieve 3G speeds, it'll only get up to 2G (EDGE), I believe.
- you'd want to find a used T-Mobile-friendly smart phone, to get full 3G speed.
- this is a month by month plan, so you can drop it any time and do something else; no contract!
- I bought a startup-kit on Amazon for about $2 that included the sim card. (yes, it's legit)

I was looking at that plan last month, but I would lose coverage in 2 rural area's I frequent on business, so I took advantage of a sale this morning and reupped my ATT with a new iphone 4s for $69. That simple mobile plan is very enticing though, if T-mobile has coverage in the area's you frequent.

Virgin Mobile runs on the Sprint network.
(and Sprint owns them)

I considered getting their LG Optimus V smart phone earlier this year.
You can buy it at your local Radio Shack, or on Amazon .
(don't get the Samsung Intercept - it's slow compared to the Optimus)
I see they've added new phones since then, so you'd have to compare/shop them.

Their $35 and $45 per month Beyond Talk plans are pretty attractive.
I believe this is another pre-paid plan, so that's a big monthly saving on the hidden taxes 'n fees of a contract plan.

My wife lost her phone last month,(Verizon) and they don't have phones that are not smart anymore. So much for the phone insurance plan:( I got a used LG Octane for her. I don't know what I'm going to do next time I need a phone. Data plan would kill me. Allready $150/mo for 700min and texting.

My bride just bought a Pantech Hotshot. (verizon) It has a touch screen, but does not need a data plan, or so verizon staff have told me. I was informed it would not change my current, non-data plan and bill. (fingers crossed)

Well looks like my wife is going to upgrade to another non smart phone.She dosnt want to pay for a data plan so i will get her a GPS for her car so i dont need to give her directions all the time.:)

You can get a good GPS for the price of 3-5 months of data plan cost ;)
So true.
If that was the only reason you wanted data (for mapping), it's a good trade off.
Though, I might have recommended a good compass and a map-book. ;)

Curious though, what voice plan did she have that was so much cheaper than the combined plans listed above?
Or did she just not want to change carrier?

Im on my wifes plan from AT@T! I recently upgraded my phone on the plan with a samsung galaxy s2 and of course had to get a data plan.She recently upgraded the minuites from 500 to 700 (she loves to talk on the phone) and between that!my new 2 gig data package and unlimited texting we are up to around $130 a month.Adding a data package to her also if she got a smart phone would bring the bill to around $155 which shes not willing to do.To bad you couldnt get a data plan to be used with both phones like they do with our minutes.Because of our location!3G and 4G is only by AT@T and verizon and verizons cell reception isnt that great here.

Just saw a commercial on TV for Straight Talk from Walmart.
It's unlimited talk, text, web, & 411 for $45 per month.
$45 + $45 = $90 per month, total. No taxes nor extra fees.

And if I'm not mistaken, they operate on the AT&T network, so coverage should be unchanged.
Might be worth confirming that's true in every market.

Not a lot of use if you just re-upped on your AT&T contract, though. - ;)
But maybe others will benefit from the knowledge.

I've been out of contract on AT&T here in Los Angeles for years, and all these alternatives are really getting my attention. - :up

Thanks Anole :) Talked to my wife about straight talk this mourning and shes very positive on the idea. Im doomed for awhile due to me upgrading my phone with AT@T a month ago but she hasnt upgraded her phone yet so when her phones contract ends at the end of this year she will most likely go with walmart.I will also save money when she switches because i dont need 700 min!most likely will go down to 500 or less and i dont text alot so i may be able to downgrade the unlimited texting.

Once you've played out your commitment to AT&T, do get your smart phone unlocked (from the carrier).
That way, you might be able to insert the Smart Talk sim into it at a later time and re-use the old handset.
Could give you a backup, in case you break one.
edit:
Come to think of it, if Straight Talk is using AT&T, the unlock is probably not necessary! - :up

Now as to which Straight Talk handset you have to get to obtain a proper sim (yes, there's a catch), do your own research.
I'm a little vague on the details. ;)

Last edited:
...Im doomed for awhile due to me upgrading my phone with AT@T a month ago but she hasnt upgraded her phone yet so when her phones contract ends at the end of this year she will most likely go with walmart.
Even better than the idea of early termination...
... you might be able to just RETURN the phone and cancel the contract without penalty.
Of course, you'd pay for time used, but that's fair.
Just tell 'em you aren't at all happy with the handset, and you want to undo the deal. - ;)
If you're under 30 days, ya might make that stick.
Otherwise, you're on the hook to 'em for the next two years.
Don't tell 'em what you're going to do instead.
Just a thought. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)