My Windows Phone Review

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
No, I mean that apparently you are piss poor at discussing topics when you cant defend your position.

Oh, this thread has clearly demonstrated that.

If you don't like what is being said, or if what is being said is critical of Android:

1) Claim the opposition (iOS) is for idiots, and disparage anyone who uses it. And use it to suggest that anyone who wants their device to WORK is stupid because they don't want to CONTROL ever little detail of their device, and are far more concerned with tinkering than actually using.

2) Don't want to live under the control of Cupertino

3) If that fails, dig up some obscure statistic (often with little basis in reality) that supports your claim, and disparage any other interpretation as being based on "social science" (which apparently is junk).

And finally
4) Add a :) to the end of any snide remark.

Anyways, back on topic... and a little more on fragmentation (I must have been tired last night, as for the life of me I could not figure out what you were talking about), I think Todd's point is a very good one. So many options, so many operating systems, so many LOOKS -- it gets very confusing for the end-user.

For example, the Calendar app that came on the original Moto Droid was great; did everything I wanted. UPGRADED (still, almost a year later its unclear whether it really was an UPGRADE) to a Droid X, and I get Moto Blur's crapware calendar, email app is different, etc., etc.., Totally different (and even more inferior) calendar on the Galaxy Tab.

I was helping a student setup email on his new Droid Incredible 2, and it was amazing to me how different the phone was compared with the Droid X; not just the smaller screen, or the resolution, which I did not care for at all; but all sorts of tweaks.

Yeah, iOS might have limitations - and sometimes the "new" changes are not great (i.e., the iCal skin in Lion and the iPad, bleh...) but it simply works, and works the same for everyone.

So, yeah, I'll join the "I just want it to work" crowd, and want it to work well. Apparently Windows Phone 7 has learned a lesson or two from the folks in Cupertino. Good for them.

Rocky, good points on the differences when it comes to android. I have had the HTC Hero, the original Droid, the Galaxy, the Droid x and the Droid pro.
About the only identical thing between them is they all had access to the market, and they all made calls (and even then the dialers were different on each one of them). Edit: one of my employees got a Samsung Gem, which is a lower tier android phone, and if you want to talk different, then try it out. I had a hard time telling it was even an Android based phone when I fooled with it.
To be clear, I did not start this thread to bash android, and that is not what I am doing. I am simply pointing out differences between the platforms. Some LOVE the things that I say are a negative to android, and some may hate what I say is a positive about wp7.

So I can take a statement made by anybody and change the topic...
No.
Some people are good in communicating a point. Linus is one of them.

I had few options:
- re-phrase (copy is always inferior to the original)
- claim it is mine (what Apple does)
- quote Linus with the change I made.

Diogen.

Oh, yeah
:)

Rocky, good points on the differences when it comes to android. I have had the HTC Hero, the original Droid, the Galaxy, the Droid x and the Droid pro.
About the only identical thing between them is they all had access to the market, and they all made calls (and even then the dialers were different on each one of them). Edit: one of my employees got a Samsung Gem, which is a lower tier android phone, and if you want to talk different, then try it out. I had a hard time telling it was even an Android based phone when I fooled with it.
To be clear, I did not start this thread to bash android, and that is not what I am doing. I am simply pointing out differences between the platforms. Some LOVE the things that I say are a negative to android, and some may hate what I say is a positive about wp7.

It really struck me the other day when helping my student how significant those differences are. I actually asked him, why didn't you just get an iPhone? It was obvious he just wanted the thing to work (although in his case, he would have struggled setting up the email on the iPhone as well - as he was trying to setup pop3 when he needed imap. :) )

It really struck me the other day when helping my student how significant those differences are. I actually asked him, why didn't you just get an iPhone? It was obvious he just wanted the thing to work (although in his case, he would have struggled setting up the email on the iPhone as well - as he was trying to setup pop3 when he needed imap. :) )
people like that need an iphone. he just needs the thing to work and nothing else. this is the same for most. me, i would be bored. i need to do whatever i want to do to the phone whenever i want. i'm a control freak. but thats me.

people like that need an iphone. he just needs the thing to work and nothing else. this is the same for most. me, i would be bored. i need to do whatever i want to do to the phone whenever i want. i'm a control freak. but thats me.

And like I was telling you earlier, I wouldnt hesitate at all to recommend android to you. Its a good OS. Its different and has flaws, but they all do.

I've reached the point of all the tinkering that I don't care anymore. I just want it to work and to be smooth as butter ;) :)

Thus, in October, I'll probably get an iPhone 5.

I've reached the point of all the tinkering that I don't care anymore. I just want it to work and to be smooth as butter ;) :)
That is where I had gotten to. I had the absolute most fun with the original Droid. Talk about a tinkerers dream toy.
As I changed phones, there seemed to be less available, and I slowly lost interest in the rooting customization side of it. I still rooted to get the apps that I wanted such as wifi tether, backup, ect, but other than that, I left it alone.
I even got to the point where out of the 7 pages, I only needed three, and that was if I really tried to fill them up.
The others were just empty or filled with stuff I never used.

That is where I had gotten to. I had the absolute most fun with the original Droid. Talk about a tinkerers dream toy.
As I changed phones, there seemed to be less available, and I slowly lost interest in the rooting customization side of it. I still rooted to get the apps that I wanted such as wifi tether, backup, ect, but other than that, I left it alone.
I even got to the point where out of the 7 pages, I only needed three, and that was if I really tried to fill them up.
The others were just empty or filled with stuff I never used.

I have it down to three pages. Two widgets - a clock, and the power control, because it is convenient. I used to have 7 screens, a ton of widgets, apps galore. Dumped most of the apps - that I now use on the iPad; don't need them on a 4" screen.

Am rooted, but wireless tether no longer works; the phone constantly nags me to do an update (which won't install because of the "custom rom" I have on it; and even VZW's own mobile hot spot does not work well. If all I have on the screen are icons now, seems to me the complaint that you can't run widgets on iOS has lost meaning; and since iOS5 offers better notification tools, again, another Android benefit is gone. With iOS I know the damn thing will work, it will be so smooth you won't know its not butter, and it will be consistent with the MOST important device I have - the iPad. Add to it wireless sync in iOS5 and better apps than their Android counterparts, and it seems like a no-brainer of a decision.

YES, I won't be able to run "custom roms." YAWN.... Yes, I'll be "stuck" in iSteve's ecosystem -- oh well, I am in his ecosystem RIGHT NOW and have no complaints with it. AND I'll still have access to gmail; to google maps; to my google calendar.

While W7 might be a good alternative, I have moved away from enough Microsoft products that there is little appeal for me. Heck, I'm not even using word when I can avoid it -- writing in Nisus Writer Pro these days.

Definitely a freak... uh... I mean control freak ;) :D

Just kidding. I get it - if that's your thing, then without a doubt SOME Android devices are what you want. But stay away from Moto. :)

Definitely a freak... uh... I mean control freak ;) :D

Just kidding. I get it - if that's your thing, then without a doubt SOME Android devices are what you want. But stay away from Moto. :)
HTC for me. maybe someday i'll give iOS another chance. i'm pretty open minded with these things.

Thus, in October, I'll probably get an iPhone 5.

100% agree and I also most likely will change back to the iPhone unless something else big comes out.

Well it has been two weeks with my Windows Phone (HTC7 Pro), so I feel that I can finally give a honest review. The new is lessened that gives so many of us the "this is the best" feeling that we get with any new product.

I will say up front that the OS is not perfect by any means. On the other hand, it is much better than I expected based on my past experience with Windows Mobile (which is a totally different animal, even if windows is getting bad feelings off of it still).

I hate the lack of true multi tasking with it coming from an android phone. I dont like having to reopen IM apps to finish a conversation if I had to go do something else. I dont like the lack of IM apps in general. The selection is paltry at best. Nearly all of the big names are lacking. For a name brand OS, to not have name brand IM apps is darn near inexcusable. If they werent available on every major platform....but they are.

As far as other apps, when it comes to stuff that you will actually use, they are not lacking. At least in my experience, and the ones that are there are top notch. Above, in nearly every comparative situation to the android counterparts and at the very least equal to the best iOS versions. I am very impressed with the quality of the apps, even if the quantity is lacking in some cases. Obviously this will change when (if) the platform grows.

I like the fact that there is far less fragmentation than there is with android. It remains to be seen if there will be as streamlined of a process with upgrades (and apps being available for all) as apple gives, but for the most part, hardware so far is equal, so if you can get it, so can I.
Android is great, but this is one huge flaw for them. Maybe they will fix it, but i am going off of now.

I have had numerous android phones, and have an Ipod touch and an Ipad, so as far as hardware, I have a general idea of what processor can do what with a given operating system.

That said, I will say that among the droids, the snapdragon soc is below the hummingbird, and even the omap used by motorola when you get to the 1 ghz versions.

Running WP7, the exact same chip, is a different beast. It is smoother than both of the above mentioned, which I can only attribute to the OS.
Anyone that has had or has android, of any version that I have had access to knows that from time to time, there is lag. Not saying that with the best hardware and newer software that it is bad. I am simply saying that it exists.

With iOS, it is virtually non existent, and the same is true with wp7. It is buttery smooth. As good as iOS in this regard? Not yet, but it is close.

All in all, I am highly impressed, with not only the hardware on this phone, it is built like a tank, but mainly with the software. And the live tiles, while not widgets, are a nice compromise between the simple app icon, and the widget.

This is NOT your old windows mobile software. It works, and works well. It is not as customizable as android, but it is a smoother experience.

It is not at the level of iOS when it comes to buttery smoothness, but you can make it more your own.

It is a fantastic compromise that IMO deserves a serious open minded look.

Mango Update is due out this month so there will be tons of features that will be added like 500.. Some of the things you pointed out will be address so it will be interesting to see what you think once you get your device updated to Mango.. There are plenty of new devices that are coming out that will have mango HTC is one of the top cell manufactures out that now Nokia will be coming out with their new WP7 devices this year and next year. Plus LG,Samsung so forth as well make the devices. To me HTC and Nokia have the best hardware handsdown and most of your top Androids are HTC devices as well plus right now HTC makes the best WP7 devices as well. It just depends on which model you get some have better hardware specs than others so plenty of choose from. Now that the Radar is out it has a front face camera so you can Skype plus the Titan if you really want a big screen just depends on what you want.. HTC will have more devices out this year and next plus the other big guy will be Nokia I think their 1st 2 devices are due out this fall plus from what I read they are suppose to have as many as 12 new devices coming out next year as well..
I use the HTC Arrive and I been really happy with it so far and it will be interesting to see what other WP7 devices Sprint gets.. Right now AT&T has the most to choose from but that will be changing once the new devices hit the market..

So lets us know what you think about MANGO once your device gets the update.. Thanks for the info..

For example, the Calendar app that came on the original Moto Droid was great; did everything I wanted. UPGRADED (still, almost a year later its unclear whether it really was an UPGRADE) to a Droid X, and I get Moto Blur's crapware calendar, email app is different, etc., etc.., Totally different (and even more inferior) calendar on the Galaxy Tab.
Those differences are not the 'fault' of Android. Well, maybe they are because Android allows customization.... ;)

Like you, when it comes to someone who 'just wants it to work', get an Apple device. I agree 100%. I use a Mac at work and my wife and son have iPod touch. They do what they do really, really well. I'm a geek, so I have an Android phone (rooted, custom ROM, etc, etc). To each his/her own !!

msmith198025 said:
Yeah looking forward to Mango.

Not to be a smart a@@ just asking because I don't know, can you copy and paste on the windows phone and does it support flash.

At one time the iPhone couldn't copy and paste or it didn't support flash, I don't know if they do yet, hell I might be wrong and the iPhone always supported those.

Not to be a smart a@@ just asking because I don't know, can you copy and paste on the windows phone and does it support flash.

At one time the iPhone couldn't copy and paste or it didn't support flash, I don't know if they do yet, hell I might be wrong and the iPhone always supported those.

iOS did not have copy and paste for a long time, but yes, it has it - and according to a google search - so does WP7.

From what I have read WP7 does not yet support flash, and you know the answer about that for iOS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)