N.Y. METS R.I.P. (Part 2)

Yep, I defend the Mets. I don't choose my team based on how much attendance they have, how much merchandise they sell, how valuable the team is, etc. That's what we call a bandwagoner. If you like the Yanks because of those reasons - then you know what - you're a bandwagoner too. But I suspect a few more Yankee fans actually defend and love their team because of the team - and not because of merchandising, etc.

nah, I don't think he's a bandwagoner, wagon's been pretty empty since 2001 :D

gosh - where did i say I like the Yankees because of any of those reasons? That was brought in because YOU brought up money. Well, money can be spent when it is brought in - CAN'T IT? You obviously have missed my point.

My top questions to you.

1) Why do YOU care how much the Yankee payroll is?

2) It's ok to have the highest payroll in the National League isn't it?

3) The Yankees to my knowledge made NO EXCUSES - I heard Jeter say on an interview last night that they simply didn't reach their objectives. I have offered up no excuses have I? I certainly have not done what you did - bring another team into a thread about the Mets choking. You brought up the other team I believe.

My bad, you're right - the "silly fan" terminology was out of line. Strange, when you're typing that, you feel as if you're slamming the organization but in reality you're not. Whoops - sorry.

No, I don't think I missed your point. You had mentioned that it's "amazin" that I defend the Mets, but not the Yanks who have all these worth and lucrative deals, etc. I responded that it wasn't amazing at all because those things don't mean anything to me with the Mets and it shouldn't with any fan. Nothing amazin about it.

Why does the payroll matter? Because the Yankees push it in your face with their arrogance. The luxury tax was created for the Yankees - and the arrogance of that team to continue to exceed the limit at an apparent increasing rate is the most amusing thing of all. So, how in the world can you think Yankees and not think payroll? With that payroll, it shouldn't be a great feat that they were in the playoffs so many years. It should be expected, and even a requirement. They didn't make it this year - and if you ask me, that is the real CHOKE. Yankees expected to get to the WS every year and this year didn't make the playoffs. Mets expected to win the NL East, and didn't make it in. I agree with you - the Mets choked, but c'mon - the Yankees REALLY choked.

Do you remember the first interleague series between the Mets and the Yanks at Yankee Stadium? I remember Steinbrenner raising his ring finger up - pointing at the World Series ring and waving it to Mets fans - I think after the Mets had shut out the Yankees in their only win that series. It's crap like that and the constant disrespect from the Yankee organization that irks me, and it transcends to the fans.

To me, the excuse of "we didn't reach our objectives" should not even be an acceptable excuse for the Yankees. I can't believe that the fans would actually accept that excuse. I don't care if it's the first playoffs the Yanks missed in 13 years. That team is built to get to the WS every year.

Just like the Mets were built to at least win the NL East. They didn't and they are all taken to task by the fans and media and rightfully so.

Which team has had the most managers since 1994?

The Yankees have had 3. Showalter, Torre, and Girardi.

The Mets have had Dallas Green, Bobby Valentine, Art Howe, Willie Randolph, Jerry Manuel

Yeah but you just played into my point about getting rid of Torre that may lead to the hiring/firing circus that the Yankees made an artform of before him.

How many times did the Yankees change managers since 1980 before Torre?

Visitor, being a Mets fan you should be the first to recognize that just because you pay a player a ton of money that they will perform.

While we disagree, what I can tell you is ALL of the NY papers are saying the Mets choked this year, and I haven't seen one word to that effect this year about the Yankees. I also heard it last night on ESPN and so on.

I am far from the only one that feels this way.

BTW, I was NOT rooting against the Mets (I leave the rooting against the other NY team to the Mets fans actually), but I was commenting on how bad they gave it away again.

nah, I don't think he's a bandwagoner, wagon's been pretty empty since 2001 :D

Nah I didn't mean to imply that he or anyone is a bandwagoner. I was just saying that people who like a team for only those reasons were but I know most fans aren't like that.

It's all in good fun. I'm just redirecting my feelings for Schoeneweis (finally spelled his fricken name right) to everyone that is anti-Mets at the moment. It'll eventually pass in a little bit. :)

And how long have you been a RedSox fan? I'm guessing since 2004.

nop, been a Red Sox fan since 1999, before that I used to just watch NBA and was a huge music fan, then I met my best friend who introduced me to football, hockey and I started watching baseball again for the first time since the late 80s. Then I got a satellite dish and haven't looked back

While we disagree, what I can tell you is ALL of the NY papers are saying the Mets choked this year, and I haven't seen one word to that effect this year about the Yankees. I also heard it last night on ESPN and so on.
I always thought that "choking" in sports was defined by an individual or team actually having a lead and being in a position to win a big game or series, clinch a playoff spot, etc., and failing at that goal. The Yankees were never in that spot this year so that's probably why the NY media hasn't labeled them as chokers.

Also, I would take anything that comes out of ESPN with a grain of salt, or maybe a whole salt shaker. I seem to remember Mortensen claiming that Eli Manning had a shoulder separation last season and would miss at least a month....:rolleyes:

I always thought that "choking" in sports was defined by an individual or team actually having a lead and being in a position to win a big game or series, clinch a playoff spot, etc., and failing at that goal. The Yankees were never in that spot this year so that's probably why the NY media hasn't labeled them as chokers.

Also, I would take anything that comes out of ESPN with a grain of salt, or maybe a whole salt shaker. I seem to remember Mortensen claiming that Eli Manning had a shoulder separation last season and would miss at least a month....:rolleyes:

I agree wholeheartedly with your opening - it was NOT me that said the Yankees choked this year - rather it was a Met fan trying to feel better about things by deflecting the criticism off on the other NY team.

BTW - today's Mike Francesa show is AMAZIN'.

I agree wholeheartedly with your opening - it was NOT me that said the Yankees choked this year - rather it was a Met fan trying to feel better about things by deflecting the criticism off on the other NY team.

From Wikipedia since "choke" slang isn't exactly in most dictionaries...

"In sports, an individual athlete, or, more commonly, an athletic team collectively, is often said to have choked when failing to win a tournament or league championship and if certain other criteria are also met, especially if the player or team had been favored to win, or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of an event. The usage of the word "choke" in this sense is generally treated as slang."

So, the Yankees were never favored to win this season? Oh, okaaaay - again my bad. :rolleyes:

Further, I didn't realize that a 3.5 game lead was "large" but nevertheless I accept that the Mets choked two years in a row. Funny, though, that I can't imagine I would be the only one that is "trying to feel better about things by deflecting the criticism off on the other NY team" here... After all, I didn't start the thread - just started to reply to it.

BTW - today's Mike Francesa show is AMAZIN'.
Yup and now Omar (four more years) Minaya is on now doing the Met spin on how good they were this year. Bla, Bla, Bla....

So, the Yankees were never favored to win this season? Oh, okaaaay - again my bad. :rolleyes:

Further, I didn't realize that a 3.5 game lead was "large" but nevertheless I accept that the Mets choked two years in a row. Funny, though, that I can't imagine I would be the only one that is "trying to feel better about things by deflecting the criticism off on the other NY team" here... After all, I didn't start the thread - just started to reply to it.

Actually the RedSox AND NOT THE YANKEES were the overwhelming PRE-SEASON favorites this year. And they deserved to be IMHO as defending champs. Sorry, you are wrong on this first point. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I see you must like these smilies.

Second, I did start the thread, and it had nothing to do with any OTHER team or thing than the Mets being eliminated. I actually only commented that the thread title speaks for itself. You inserted your spew of the other team into thinking I was doing the same thing. You are wrong on this point as well.

Actually the RedSox AND NOT THE YANKEES were the overwhelming PRE-SEASON favorites this year. And they deserved to be IMHO as defending champs. Sorry, you are wrong on this first point. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I see you must like these smilies.

Second, I did start the thread, and it had nothing to do with any OTHER team or thing than the Mets being eliminated. I actually only commented that the thread title speaks for itself. You inserted your spew of the other team into thinking I was doing the same thing. You are wrong on this point as well.

No, actually it was the first time I've ever used :rolleyes: on this forum before. Ok, I shouldn't have if that is the case. I didn't think the Sox were that overwhelmingly favorited and in the sense of that word - the Yankees didn't choke and were expected to finish out of the playoffs all along.

On the second point, that's another story. You started this thread and didn't expect anyone to come back with you sporting that Yankee Stadium logo? Then you said some nonsense about if Tampa Bay had a typical year the Yankees would have probably made it in the playoffs. Now, that's a revelation. The Sox weren't even brought into this until someone said that New Englanders didn't like NY teams or something like that. But if you're going to say choke, which is relative to the other teams that surround you, then you're going to hear the same thing with the Yanks and the Sox. Otherwise this thread turns into:

(You) The Mets choked.
(Me) Yes they did.
(You) CHoke Choke CHoke Choke Choke
(Me) At least we choked spending less money.
(You) We didn't choke
(Me) Okay, I guess not but we spent less money.
(You) Choke Choke Choke Choke Choke
(Me) By the way, when are you firing Girardi?
(You) Why are you interested in our payroll?
(Me) Because you are the evil empire.
(You) You guys spend a lot of money too.
(Me) Same accomplishment, less money.
(You) You must love smilies.
(Me) Nah, first time I've used them.

That's a lot less interesting, don't you think...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)