N00b living room HT setup

madhorizons

Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
OK all....broke down and got the Onkyo 606 b/c I found it on sale. Based on the image below which would be "surround back" vs. surround? Also....the one that's to the back-left of the couch, is all the way in the left corner b/c of the opening. I adjusted the receiver to put out a little more to that speaker than the others for balancing.

I tried to use the Audessey setup, but it's bombing b/c I don't have all 7 channels hooked up yet (per their user manual error code readout).

I don't have the speakers.....yet.....but will be moving to an inexpensive 7 speaker setup (and will continue to use my current craptacular sub for now).

Living room layout. Photoshopped two pix together, taken from behind the top of the TV. Just to picture-right is the dbl door to the office and on the left is the fireplace....should be able to get an idea. I've marked where we're currently keeping the 5 speakers now. Thanks in advance all.

lroom_layout.jpg

lroom_mockup.gif

Nice room! But it's going to be extremely difficult to adjust sound levels for your room configuration.
Audyssey setup for your main listening positions is your best bet. Check your receiver's manual. There should be a way to select 6.1 configuration instead of 7.1.
I hope an Onkyo user will chime in with some details on how to do that.

Welcome to the forum!

I have an Onkyo 805.
Yes, if using one surround back, use the left surround back input on receiver.
Surrounds, in a 5.1 setup, are the rear speakers. In a 6.1/7.1 setup, they are the side speakers, and the rears are the surround back speakers. If you're just using a 6.1 setup, and the 6th is connected to the left surround back input, Audyssey should automatically detect the setup, and compensate correctly for it. Audyssey does a pretty decent job calibrating the speakers. If it's connected right, and Audyssey doesn't work right, you'll need to get an SPL meter from Radio Shack, to correctly calibrate the speakers, or exchange the receiver for one that works right.

Here is how Dolby suggests speaker setup for 5.1 and 7.1 systems. Move mouse over config you want.
Dolby - Dolby Speaker Setup Guide - Speaker Placement

Thx for the input all....i figured out what happened. I had the surround hooked into surround back (terminology confusion on my part). Switched those around and re-ran Audessey and it's workin fine now.

I'm hoping to upgrade speakers, but don't want to spend a fortune (running old, sub-par KLH right now).

Any suggestions?

Ya...but gotta know what to look for when trying to see what's out there.

Very true. You need to educate yourself in any case. That's why I wonder about the success of these web only speakers, like the Energys. They are being sold soley on reputation and network buzz. I have listened to enough speakers to know there are big differences in personal preferences, and what works for me may not work for you.

I personally like the bright and efficient Klipsch line, but I would not presume to say it fit your tastes. Many people feel they are too bright. I like them because they bring out dialog. That makes them good for HT applications, but music comes out somewhat unnatural, especially classical and jazz.

I also have problems with the ethics of using the resources of a B&M store to audition stuff and then going online to purchase. Thus I will negotiate price with the place I audition and generally purchase there.

I have purchased online, but it is when I am adding capability from a similar series. For example, I upgraded a center speaker from a Woot deal and purchased the surrounds from Amazon, but they were of the same series and brand of speakers I was already committed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)