Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

BobMurdoch said:
Aargh.

Once again the "flagship" 921 is stuck at the docks again waiting for the latest and greatest.......

Really? I thought the 522 was the flagship product. Am I wrong in thinking the 921 is an HD device, and therefore still very much an limited market product?

Sure, we have a very high ratio of HD users here, but I imagine they don't make up the bulk of Dish customers.

speedyox said:
I'm not a software development manager or a patent lawyer, but I don't think you can patent software. You can copyright it, so nobody can 'rox it directly, but I don't think you can stop someone from copycatting the features. Let me know if I'm wrong. I don't know what patents Tivo has been able to get on it's features.

Indeed, there is a large push to make software patentable rather than copyrightable. This would give software companies *more* control over their products, but for a shorter period of time. This pushes inovation (you have a vested interest in improving products sufficiently to require a new patent), while it also leaves open the possibility of backward capatibility.

There are valid arguments against this, though. See Nintendo's recent (sucessful) re-release of old NES games for the GBA. These titles are protected by copyright, but under a patent system for software, they would be in the public domain.

You can still get patents on specific technologies... just not on the underlying code.

Bizzach said:
YAY! I got it!
I'm out the door to work, but I noticed on the update screen, after doing the disc check and program download, it said "your receiver's memory is now being updated." Sure enough, I have version L231. I was a 'tester' with the logging software. (I wonder if their data is lost now with the software update?)
Sure enough, I've got NBR...
Tell us more!!! You're too sick to go to work today :D As mentioned above the Software Version page still only shows L2.08 as I write this http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customerCare/technical/software_versions/index.asp and my 522 has not updated.

Scott can you confirm if this is just for people with the logging software - and when this may be rolled out to the masses.

Bizzach said:
YAY! I got it!
I'm out the door to work, but I noticed on the update screen, after doing the disc check and program download, it said "your receiver's memory is now being updated." Sure enough, I have version L231. I was a 'tester' with the logging software. (I wonder if their data is lost now with the software update?)
Sure enough, I've got NBR. It will let you set priorities (my box evidently has 28 timers, all prioritized. I tried to set a new one, and it made that one 29 by default). Now it lets you choose 'all' episodes or 'new' episodes as well as the 'once' and 'M-F' options.
The funniest thing I noticed in my couple of minutes playing with it: DISH pass. HA! That lets you search ALL channels for a certian title, like TiVo I presume. Awesome!

I can't wait to get off work in 9 hours to mess around with it. Thanks to all (especially Scott) who broke this story. Now all I wonder about is some documentation. Anyone have an official guide to using it?
:D <------VERY HAPPY!!!

So you only have like 29 timers available at any time on your receiver? I currently have 64 without the namebased recording on my 921. I would not like being limited to just 29 timers. I currently use a lot of manual timers to record in blocks so I won't go over my 64 timer limit. You can still create manual timers right?

MikeD-C05 said:
So you only have like 29 timers available at any time on your receiver? I currently have 64 without the namebased recording on my 921. I would not like being limited to just 29 timers. I currently use a lot of manual timers to record in blocks so I won't go over my 64 timer limit. You can still create manual timers right?
I think what he is saying is that he had 28 timers (i.e. 28 events scheduled to record) on his box before the update, and the update gave them all a priority. When he created a new timer, it assigned it priority 29. (i.e. the lowest priority) I don't see anything about being limited.

MikeD-C05 said:
hold on. There is a 64 timer limit?

speedyox said:
I'm not a software development manager or a patent lawyer, but I don't think you can patent software. You can copyright it, so nobody can 'rox it directly, but I don't think you can stop someone from copycatting the features. Let me know if I'm wrong. I don't know what patents Tivo has been able to get on it's features.

Maybe you can't patent software, but I think Tivo owns several patents on the "ideas" or "concepts" that are implemented in their software.

I guess our SatelliteGuys Testers are getting to look at the new software first before it is released to all.

So if your a tester you should have got the new software, please post anything odd you see with the new software here.

Thanks to Dish Network once again for making this possible. :)

As I mentioned in the last message our testers got the new software this morning... :)

50,000 522's will get the new software tommorow morning, the rest should get the new software by Dec. 20th.

There is a new feature called "Dish Pass" which you can type a search keyword and the receiver will continually search for the phrase in the backround and automatically will record the shows which has that keyword in it.

Kind of cool :)

speedyox said:

On the 921/721 there are only 64 event timers allowed at a time. I am wondering if with the name based recording this is limited to 29 timers as the last guy posted or if I misunderstood what he posted. I would hate to think that with name based recording you only get this low amount of timers.

MikeD-C05 said:
On the 921/721 there are only 64 event timers allowed at a time. I am wondering if with the name based recording this is limited to 29 timers as the last guy posted or if I misunderstood what he posted. I would hate to think that with name based recording you only get this low amount of timers.

You misunderstood. He said he HAD 28 times defined that were all prioritized after the upgrade. When he added a new one it created #29 (meaning I think that the new timers by default go to the bottom of the priority list). He did not mean to imply that you were limited to 29 timers.

i love nbr...got it this morning....nice features...including dish pass ..only played with a little...had to goto work.....but i believe the 522 is still having audio and sync problems...atleast with mine....l2.09 was supposed to have something in it also,for audio/video...what i heard...dont know if that happend..any body hear about it?

No one has the update yet except for the SatelliteGuys Testers, The new software will go out to 50,000 boxes tommorow and the rest before December 20th.

You will get a video downloaded to your unit telling you how to use the new features once you have the software. :)

speedyox said:
No, no...
I was saying that I previously had 28 timers set (i.e., weekly timers and programs coming up). I don't know what it means yet, seeing as I haven't actually tried to set any new timer, but on the screen, it said 'timer 29'.
I didn't say anything about a limit on timers!

When I get off work today, I'll post screenshots in the 522 forum. Sorry for any confusion! :eek:

Bizzach said:
No, no...
I was saying that I previously had 28 timers set (i.e., weekly timers and programs coming up). I don't know what it means yet, seeing as I haven't actually tried to set any new timer, but on the screen, it said 'timer 29'.
I didn't say anything about a limit on timers!

When I get off work today, I'll post screenshots in the 522 forum. Sorry for any confusion! :eek:
I wasn't confused. It wasn't your post I was quoting. Mike-D mentioned the 64 limit (and he though there was a 29 limit as well) and then he answered my question by explaining that the 64 limit is on the 721. :) everything is clear now. I hope. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts