Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

The 522 does not have a 64 timer limit I currently have the name based software since I was one of the logging software testers and I had 67 timers before the Name based update and I still have 67 timers I do not know if there is a limit for the timers on the 522. When I get home tonight I will play around with the software and let everyone know what I find out. I only had about 5 min to check it out this morning.

Scott Greczkowski said:
There is a new feature called "Dish Pass" which you can type a search keyword and the receiver will continually search for the phrase in the backround and automatically will record the shows which has that keyword in it.

If Tivo had a stroke when other called their boxes 'PVRs', i can only imagine their take on 'Dish Pass' being so close to 'Season Pass'...let the fireworks begin!!

Ok so I had a chance to poke around with the new Name Based software. Now you have a list of timers also a Daily Schedule. The daily schedule is a list of events to be recorded where the Timers is used to determine priority for the events to be recorded. With the Dish pass you have the option to search for a title on all channels or you can specify which channel to limit the search. So far I have to say I really like the new setup. Also you can now change the channel order to either ascending or descending your choice. So far I have spent most of my time deleting my existing timers and then creating new dish passes to replace them.

I like it too.... I started another thread with screenshots. :)

So when you replace a timer with the DISH Pass, do you like how it automatically sets timers for all the shows that are in the guide, and you can delete the ones you've already seen? I can see my HD overflowing really quick!

Other than that, there are a LOT of new features here, and I am really diggin' it.

Yea I like that also and I too can seen that 100 hours may not be enough also I have not had one audio drop out or A/V freeze yet tonight I would almost always have a audio drop when the timers would fire on both timers that has happend already once tonight without a drop out so I have my fingers crossed

I've watched a couple of shows so far, with shows being recorded in the background, and it seems like the dropouts are better. I got one loud POP and a few dropouts, but NOTHING like it was before... the video didn't even get out of sync once! :)

MikeD-C05 said:
I don't think you can trademark the work Pass. If you can then we are all in trouble.

True, and I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like intent to me. Season Pass = a ticket to everything for the season. Dish Pass = something similar, we named it this so they sound alike.

I am sure looking forward to this new feature though. It would be terrible to have it spoiled by lawyers and judges.

Hey at Team Summit dish showed a MP3 player called a DishPod, so I guess they think there's no limits to copyrights....

Bizzach said:
I like it too.... I started another thread with screenshots. :)

So when you replace a timer with the DISH Pass, do you like how it automatically sets timers for all the shows that are in the guide, and you can delete the ones you've already seen? I can see my HD overflowing really quick!

Other than that, there are a LOT of new features here, and I am really diggin' it.

So you can still create timers from the guide like we always did? Can you also create a manual timer as well? This dish pass is it activated through the menu and then it will affect all your timers ? CAn you explain how this works a little better. I am really curious what this will mean. :confused:

Yes you can create a Dish Pass, recurring timer, and manual recording from the guide like before. when you slect the show you wish to record you get to choose which type of timer you will be setting.

I have been causing all kinds of errors on my Hard drive tonight I have set up about 40 Dish passes so far while deleting the existing recurring timers. This while 1 and sometimes 2 shows are recording in the background. All this has taken a toll my system has initiated hard drive diagnostics 3 times I guess I should let the system take a breath and just finish all the timer conversions later when its not trying to record on both tuners.

I'm PISSED! Couldn't wait to check my system before I left for work at 5:25AM today... of course I didn't get the new software.... maybe tomorrow.

Well my 67 timers condensed into 40 Dish passes and I can tell the box will also be doing a lot more recording. One thing I would like to see is a option to record only re-runs all except New that way I can set up to passes one for the New only at a high priority and then one for the re-runs at a lower priority for the same show it would make managing the recording resources much easier and you would be less likely to miss a new episode of a show because a higher priority rerun was recorded in its place. The options you have now is New and all you might be able to use the all funtion like a re-run only however I do not know how the box will react when a new episode airs and two dish passes try to record it at the same time it may cause problems. I guess I will need to try that and see what happens.

By the way it took me several hours last night playing with the timers and creating the new dish passes so everyone with a large amount of timers be ready to spend some serious hours changing everything around to the new system. My next step will be to create dish passes for only new episodes of the shows I watch every week and then set prioritys my guess when I am finished I may have as many as 75 dish passes if this works and may solve some of the manual scheduling I had to do last night to make sure the current season of all the shows will get recorded over some of the series that have multiple shows each week and some multiple shows each day. I think I will let everything ride like it is not untill this weekend when I have more time to play.

WOO HOO!!! Got the new software!

I've just finished changing all of my timers to NBR timers (had 25, now have 27). This took me about an hour, not too bad. I thought I ran into some problems because it wanted to record the Simpsons on Friday night which I could have sworn was an old season and didn't want to record on Sunday but it turns out it was correct on both. I already had both tuners in use on Friday night so it didn't record either one (per priority on Friday) so again it was correct.

Then I've had a few that complained about there being a conflict when there was no conflict. That appears to be because I was using TV2 to schedule (which I never do but my wife was annoyed with what I was doing while she was trying to watch Today). This may be the way TV2 works where it won't schedule events to automatically switch to TV1 even though record plus is active. Even if this isn't a bug this is a huge need IMO. I would say that with NBR the whole tuner selection issue becomes even more important. You should never have a timer skipped simply because it was originally scheduled to be on tuner 2 and a higher priority event occurs but tuner 1 is still available. In any case, I deleted those timers and rescheduled them from TV1 and they worked ok.

So far I like what I see.

Also I haven't noticed any pops or A/V issues but I haven't really done a lot yet especially while timers are firing.

I have not seen any timer conflict problems yet except for wanting to record 3 or 4 shows at the same time however I have my box in single mode so I do not have to worry about TV2 viewing causing a problem. I also noticed last night in the diagnostic screen we have a couple of new counters one is the highest temp for the hard drive another is the lowest temp for the hard drive and one for the average temp for the hard drive. I noticed my hard drive got pretty warm some time highest temp was 122 however the average was 39 my guess those temps must be in C and not F because I am sure my living room has not been 39 F it usally around 67 - 69 F maybe all the timer work last night while both tuners were recording cause the hard drive temp top spike which could have caused the problems that triggered the hard drive diagnostics to run several times last night on me.

I specifically use Dual mode because of all the conflicts I used to have in single mode. It simply didn't like the fact that 3 minutes before and 1 minute after was an overlap and it would cause 2 consecutive programs to record to 2 different tuners which meant that for the 1 minute over caused a conflict for anything else. Perhaps they've resolved this but since dual mode works pretty much perfectly from TV1 (with the exception of PIP which I really don't use) I stick with dual. I would use PIP swap except I'm pretty much 100% watching pre-recorded stuff now.

Shadowtester said:
Well my 67 timers condensed into 40 Dish passes and I can tell the box will also be doing a lot more recording. One thing I would like to see is a option to record only re-runs all except New that way I can set up to passes one for the New only at a high priority and then one for the re-runs at a lower priority for the same show it would make managing the recording resources much easier and you would be less likely to miss a new episode of a show because a higher priority rerun was recorded in its place. The options you have now is New and all you might be able to use the all funtion like a re-run only however I do not know how the box will react when a new episode airs and two dish passes try to record it at the same time it may cause problems. I guess I will need to try that and see what happens.

I didn't see this option. I saw the "All channels" or "specify channel" but not "All shows or New shows" . Where is it?

Scott Greczkowski said:
...50,000 522's will get the new software tommorow morning, the rest should get the new software by Dec. 20th...

Didn't get my update last night... Will I have to wait until the 20th, or are they rolling it out nightly through the 20th?