Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

Good point. When I played with the pass, it seemed to recognize identical listings and only set itself to record the first instance. The rest showed up in the timer list crossed out, and in the guide with an "x" where the tuner symbol would be.

haertig I have been thinking the same thing about that as a great new feature that could be implemented on the NBR, to have it look for shows for an extended period of time even if it is currently not on the EPG and it would eventually find those shows for you. It could be stored in history and you could simply resend that command for it to look up those shows every so often if we would have to do it that way.

Lets say that on the "Pass" feature the first showing of the same episode already has two other prioritized timers firing at that particular time. Will it automatically go to the second airing of that same episode in which there are no conflicts?

Also I can see more conflicts happening. With some timers changing so much because of it being name based it could cause them to occur when another show is on.

Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been any glitches in the audio or video lately? I was watching a pay per view movie and it was perfect. Maybe I was just lucky.

JFS7931 said:
Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been any glitches in the audio or video lately? I was watching a pay per view movie and it was perfect. Maybe I was just lucky.
I think you were just pretty lucky! :)
I have noticed the bug still there, though it seems to have gotten a bit better. The audio dropouts are still pretty prevelant, but the out-of-sync issue only happened once or twice in several hours' worth of watching. But that's just on my box! (BTW, I am in single mode, with about 15 hours free on average.)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually the 921, 721, 501, 508 & 510 will NOT be getting name based recording. :(

Check out this thread for more details

BOO Hiss. Bad Dish Network!

That's very crappy news. I was looking forward to this. Now it looks like I have to DOWNGRADE my 721 to a 522 in order to get the benefit of NBR.

Is this just another E* ploy to get people to lease more receivers?

Ugh.

Stargazer said:
haertig I have been thinking the same thing about that as a great new feature that could be implemented on the NBR, to have it look for shows for an extended period of time even if it is currently not on the EPG and it would eventually find those shows for you. It could be stored in history and you could simply resend that command for it to look up those shows every so often if we would have to do it that way.

Lets say that on the "Pass" feature the first showing of the same episode already has two other prioritized timers firing at that particular time. Will it automatically go to the second airing of that same episode in which there are no conflicts?

Also I can see more conflicts happening. With some timers changing so much because of it being name based it could cause them to occur when another show is on.

As far as I can tell, what you have stated is exactly how it works. It is supposed to continue to search as days get added to the guide, and it definitely records the next occurence if the first one has a conflict. This I've seen already.

Bug Reports

So far, I haven't seen any major issues. Audio is definitely better and the new features work surprisingly as defined.

The main issue that I have run across but is not entirely reproducible on demand:

On pausing live-tv, it would pause for 3 seconds and then play again. after changing channels this issue went away. I have noticed other weirdness surrounding pause, however (the title banner flashing off and then on, I believe although it just seems a little flaky now overall)

I may also have run across a DishPass that is recording the same Ep twice but that may have been user error as well so I'm withholding judgement on that one for now...

JFS7931 said:

I get 2-3 audio dropouts/hour right now.

Mine was upgraded yesterday. Yippee! I didn't bother converting any timers -- I just deleted them all and started fresh. Too many times in the past there's been flakey timers after an upgrade, so why tempt fate with a major overhaul of the timer system?

I wanted to report that one of the worst causes (on my 522 anyways) of A/V sync and audio stuttering seems to be gone. Previously, if I started watching a program on TV1 that was currently recording, there would be horrible stuttering, chirping and sync problems. However, last night I recorded the finale of The Apprentice (3 hours) and started watching it 45 minutes after it started. I didn't get a single burp/chirp or hiccup for the remainder of the 3 hour recording! And to top it off, when it began, I had approx. 16 hours left which normally would increase the amount of hiccups.

So far, I'm pretty pleased with the upgrade...

I haven't gotten it yet either so don't feel like your alone. I was wondering if anybody knows what time Dish releases its updates. That way if I wanted to check manually some time today I could see if it has been spooled to me yet.

Thanks!!

I think you set the software in your 522 to tell it what time to check for updates... mine is set for something like 3AM.

Edit: Thanks Scott - we were posing at the same time.

I'm still waiting too :( I remember reading something about 250,000 units on the 20th - so maybe we'll get it then. I doubt they would release it over the weekend since they probably cut the amount of customer service reps, and they wouldn't be able to handle any potential flood of customer inquiries about the new software.

I wonder if I could call tech support to request an early spool of the new software? ..."My brother got new functionality on his DVR, but I haven't. Can I get it too?"

Ned Dorsey said:
I wonder if I could call tech support to request an early spool of the new software? ..."

I tried this last night to no avail. The tech told me since 2.08 is still considered viable software that there was now way a force could be done from his chair. If you look on Dishes site you will see that 2.08 and 2.31 are listed as the current software versions for the 522 :( Oh well maybe I will have better luck tomorrow morning, this morning was a :down for me as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts