Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

I've been playing with 'Event Based Recording' for a while this morning. For the first shot out of the box, it's a pretty good start. Priority setting is pretty powerful. The biggest problem I have found is with conflict resolution.

If there are two timers that are in conflict on one tuner and nothing is recording on the other tuner, one of the timers will be skipped, even though 'Record Plus' is enabled.

The only way to get both programs to record is to completely delete the timer and to recreate it. This works in the short term, but if a conflict is encountered in the future, the problem will not be solved.

I'll search the program to see if there is a setting to fix this, but I haven't found it yet.

I have a couple of suggestions, too.

The 'New' option for a timer doesn't really mean new episodes. It really means any episode that has been recorded in the current season. While this is a good feature, it should be renamed to 'Current' instead of new. Also, a feature that only recorded new episodes would be a welsome addition.

A way to control the number of episodes kept on the machine would be a good idea, in my opinion. I have a daily timer set to record the news every night. If I'm not home, the news records every day. There is really no benefit to keeping a couple of weeks of news. It would be great if I could tell the machine to only keep a single copy (or some other number) of the news program.

While I was writing this, my wife came in to COMPLAIN about the new version. When she selects shows to record for the day, she used to click select on the program guide. Then she would create a single-time timer (the default). If there was a conflict, she would see the conflict on the next screen and choose how to resolve it.

Now, she selects a show. Then she has to change the default to ‘Once’ from ‘All’. If there is a conflict, she has to decide how she wants the conflict resolved. Then she has to go to another screen to determine the resolution. She’s not happy that what was once a fairly simple operation has now gotten so complex.

The functionality is almost there, but the user interface needs a whole lot of work. The ability to select defaults would be nice, but her biggest complaint is that they are trying to do too many things on the same screen.

mrschwarz said:
If there are two timers that are in conflict on one tuner and nothing is recording on the other tuner, one of the timers will be skipped, even though 'Record Plus' is enabled...
I'm curious if you're in single mode or dual mode? This MAY not be a problem in single mode - but I don't know.

522 Software Update

I have been trying to get my 522 to update to the latest version with the new features. I have left it powered down overnight with no results. I have verified that all front panel lamps are out.

I have checked the menus and I do not have the update without permission menu option on my install menu.

Any assistance in getting this thing to reload would be appreciated!

Blaine

You will have to wait untill Dish Network targets your box for the software update. Dish Network is currently doing that in segments my guess to make sure that customer service does not get overloaded with calls about the new features just be patient.

Wouldn't it be nice to know how DishNetork decides who gets upgrades first? Like is it REgional, or based on customer longevity, or any other variable?

It's always so frustrating, that some times with an upgrade I get it before most others, then others, like with the NBR, I'm still waiting, and waiting....

It's done by serial number ranges. Nothing to do with customer status or location.

As for which ranges are picked and why? That's a whole different issue, and I'd like to know the answer to that.

Still waiting. I think the original statement was "all customers by the 20th" so I am fully prepared to be disappointed when I check in the morning and it's still L208.

GOD!!! I'm SOOOOO stupid.... I left for work this morning and forgot to check if I got the new software... every day I've been checking.... and now, when I probably got it... I forget to check! I was more worried about the 10 degree temps outside and the 23 MPH winds.... anyone else get it last night???

Negative, so much for the 20th being the magical day. When I did talk to tech support a few days back they only mentioned that all 522 receivers will have the update before Christmas. Guess we are all still in the wait and see pattern.

I'm still waiting for the update too!

BTW, My 522, by default is set to look for updates at 3 am. If I happen to, rarely, be watching TV at 3am, I get a message that it's about to shut down for updating, then I can chose to let it shut down or not.

Moral.......you don't have to remember to shut the system down in order to get new versions. I've gotten at least 4 updates with no special action on my part.

Ditto. Scott, did you mean it would be downloaded on the 20th, so when we all set our clocks to get up early after the 3:00am re-start on the 21st we'll all have it?

The 20th date was mentioned on the Retailer Chat. I just talked to Dish a few moments ago, they are still on track about getting it all out by Christmas.

Thanks. I guess I won't set my alarm clock to wake-up early tomorrow. But an early Christmas present from DISH would still be nice!

omnibus said:
I'm still waiting for the update too!

BTW, My 522, by default is set to look for updates at 3 am. If I happen to, rarely, be watching TV at 3am, I get a message that it's about to shut down for updating, then I can chose to let it shut down or not.

Moral.......you don't have to remember to shut the system down in order to get new versions. I've gotten at least 4 updates with no special action on my part.

Mine is set up for 3 a.m. also, however, I received the L2.31 update a little past 10 p.m. on December 16. I wonder why?

I had just turned of TV1 in the living room, and settled into bed to watch TV2 before drowsing off to sleep, when I received an alert on my TV screen not to unplug the receiver or interfere with it because the receiver was being upgraded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts