Name Based Recording Discussion (L232 Software)

Got mine sometime this afternoon... :)

It's listed as the only release on the software page, so I guess we all should have it now. "522 L2.32 12/21/2004 L2.31 12/16/2004"

My first impression :eek: of 'DISH Pass' is that it is the most cumbersome / non-intuitive software that I've ever used. It seems like it takes me about 25 or so remote clicks to add a show that is protected and has no 'before or after' buffer. But maybe these added clicks wiil be saved later by not having to add or change timers as shows move around the schedule. I'm stiill looking for a default setting for 'before or after' buffer... am I missing something? Or is DISH missing it? AGAIN.

On the bright side - no beeps, pauses or audio sync glitches yet.

Steve

skenney said:
On the bright side - no beeps, pauses or audio sync glitches yet.

You know, I think there are still very ocassional video glitches, but they aren't accompanied by that incredibly annoying popping/beeping sound when they happen so they are much less noticeable.

That said, there does seem to be fewer audio and video glitches than ever with this update, and I'm pretty happy with the progress they've made in this area over the past few updates.

NBR pretty smart

Since the title of this thread has changed to NBR "Discussion" I thought this would be a good thread to mention this...

I've got a M-F Timer to record "The Screen Savers" on g4TechTV. In reviewing the Daily Schedule (by pressing the DVR button twice), I noticed that the Thursday 12/23 episode was not on the schedule. Upon further investigation the EPG details for Thursday's showing was the same as Monday's episode (something about a tigerdirect PC challange). Even after deleting Monday's episode, it is still not scheduled to record. It must remember that that episode has recently been recorded, and will not record it again.

I wonder how long it "remembers" previously watched/recorded episodes?

Pretty smart. I give the programmers 2 thumbs up for that feature.

I've also not noticed the skips and hiccups that were noticable on previous software versions.

I have also noticed the quick flash of the show banner when pressing cancel a few times to display then get rid of the show data (or by pressing view then cancel).

I wonder if you created a timer for a show then deleted that timer before the show aired if it would still remember that show as if you did watch it causing it to not show that episode again.

markav said:
I just added multi-sport to my account and as I was browsing the new channels noticed that the 522 apparently now downloads new guide data as soon as you move across a "no information available" space in the guide. If it does work like that all the time, that's another nice little feature that's been long overdue. It didn't even interupt the timer that was recording.

There was a small bug with this - it "froze up" for a few seconds after the guide was finished downloading. I momentarily wasn't able to use the interface to do anything at all. Overall though, good start to a nice new feature.

I've had that happen with older versions of the software (I've had the wonderful Sports aka Blackout Pak since day1) on both my 322 and 522. I think the guide download takes too long :( .

Did anybody else get the Dish 101 video download on the new features? Mine played back with only 1 audio dropout! :D

Pablo_New said:
Did anybody else get the Dish 101 video download on the new features? Mine played back with only 1 audio dropout! :D
Mine had at least two. Did anyone else's start in the middle? I got the whole thing, but it was the last 3 minutes followed by the first 4.

CygnusTM said:
Mine had at least two. Did anyone else's start in the middle? I got the whole thing, but it was the last 3 minutes followed by the first 4.
Same here. Got it this morning at 1:40am.

I got the 232 update a few days ago. One bug I've noticed is that sometimes the wrong title shows up for recorded shows. I have a Dish PASS set up for M*A*S*H and Star Trek. Well, Star Trek is recording on Sci-fi, but it shows up as M*A*S*H on the DVR list, and it has program info for M*A*S*H on our local Fox station! Kinda weird!

Other than that, I've been very impressed with this release. I think they actually did some QA on it! Kudos Dish!

Mine had the last part of the video followed by the first part, total 7 minutes, automatic protected recording.

I also had told it to record that time block, that one was the normal 101 content for most of it, with the last part of the new features video followed by the first part, followed by more 101 content. I think it was spooled incorrectly for the automatic download.

Hey, I like the holiday theme here on the boards...

Here's a tip to add to page 8 of the NBR manual... I re-discovered another useful feature of the 522 - Auto Tune. For shows that I like to watch every day but don't necessarily want to record or have my hard drive fill up with a bunch of episodes that I need to delete, I've created an Auto Tune timer to switch the receiver to that station when the show comes on. Such shows that I have done this with include the nightly news magazine shows and the 10 O'Clock news. And if I turn on the TV late, I can always rewind live TV to watch it from the beginning thanks to the hour-long (?) live TV recording buffer.

I think a lot of people with DVR's forget about the auto tune. All timers that I have created with the DVR's have been to record them and with the nonDVR's I havent set timers. I am just so used to not watching live tv unless its for CNN Headline news and even then I pause it and go back later to skip what I dont want to watch and commercials.

Ned Dorsey said:
Hey, I like the holiday theme here on the boards...

Here's a tip to add to page 8 of the NBR manual... I re-discovered another useful feature of the 522 - Auto Tune. For shows that I like to watch every day but don't necessarily want to record or have my hard drive fill up with a bunch of episodes that I need to delete, I've created an Auto Tune timer to switch the receiver to that station when the show comes on. Such shows that I have done this with include the nightly news magazine shows and the 10 O'Clock news. And if I turn on the TV late, I can always rewind live TV to watch it from the beginning thanks to the hour-long (?) live TV recording buffer.

Good tip. You're right, totally forgot about the feature.

Last night I re-discovered it's actually a 2-hour live TV recording buffer. With Auto Tune I can still start watching the 10 O'Clock news as late as midnight.

How helpful is the tutorial? I hadn't checked in here lately, and didn't realize NBR was coming, but last night my wife was deleting some old unwanted shows from our DVR list (thank you very, much timer based recording) and I saw something flash across the screen that said, "How to use your new features," then it was gone. As soon as I saw it, I thought about NBR, and sure enough, I went to set a timer later that evening and saw all the new stuff. This morning I come here and see that along with the upgrade, the tutorial should have showed up as a recorded event.

So anyway, like I said at first, how helpful is that tutorial? Is it anything a reasonably smart person can't figure out for themselves with the NBR .pdf from Dish's site? Is there a way to re-receive it, or will it be broadcast on the Dish Information Channel?

I use auto-tune every night at 10pm (weekdays, 11 weekend) for Whose Line on ABC Family channel. It's great, if I'm out later and get home by around 11:45 or so, I can still "fast reverse" to the 10pm show and watch both of them. I even wait about 15 minutes when I am home at 10, just so I can skip all the commercials during that hour. :D

I also have an auto-tune set up for my local ABC channel at 6:30am to catch the morning news and the opening of Good Morning America - works well with my bedroom TV's wake-up timer. :)

But, I'll have to repeat (for probably my 4th time now), they really need to fix the timeshifted recording problem that's wasted so much of my DVR space. I can admit it's maybe less of a bug and more of an actual design problem, but either way, it should be able to correct. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)