name based recording; two things not to do and one additional confusing thing

Eastern OR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Good Afternoon,

We have name based recording(232) on our 522 and it offers a nice solution to those of us who watch mostly recorded tv to avoid having to watch commercials. We can set one set of timers and then just maintain the 'daily schedule' with skip and restore choices. Unfortunately the 522 seems a little underpowered to do this. It suffers from momentary freeze ups now that we have L522 and appears somewhat buggy(A lot like a windows 95 machine with too little memory).

Two things not to do:

1. I have reproduce this three times. Choose menu; Themes and Search(2); Search; Enter a zero sum search term(in my local area this is 'red green' as our local PBS's have chosen to not offer red green). 522 will lock up and then do a soft reboot. After the soft reboot the 522 will come up to the hard drive diagnostic screen. You then have a choice of proceeding or canceling. I've always chosen cancel as this diagnostic is done daily at 3am. At this point 522 will do another soft reboot, search for signal. When unit comes back to normal all your daily schedule is gone. Timers are still there but all timers are zero sum. What remains in the daily schedule is the prior history of what happened with your timers. You can partially restore some random part of your daily schedule by forcing a guide download with a switch check but mostly you are forced to delete your timers and start over-a process my wife was not happy with. :eek: Anyone who has had this experience or who can replicate this?(Warning-don't do this if you have timers you care about).

2. We run our 522 in single mode with one TV most of the time. Sometimes(until 232) we turn it to dual mode to watch recorded programs at another TV away from the 522. If you have a bunch of timers in your daily schedule under L232 entered while you are in single mode and then switch to dual mode your timers go from being distributed among TV1 and TV2 to being all on TV1. No timers on TV2 This means that if you had two things set to record at once one of them becomes crossed out and skipped in the daily schedule. Disconcerting until you realize what happened. Anyone else with this experience or who can replicate this.(Warning-to put things back like they were simply switch back to single mode).

One confusing thing: :confused:

Does anyone else ever have timers record perfectly at the perfect time but then be renamed with some incorrect random name and description in the DVR events screen? When you start the recording the name and info on the info button is correct. All very confusing when you have a bunch of recordings in the DVR events screen where some of the info is incorrect.

cheers all,
Eastern

I assume by "zero sum" you mean a search that returns no results. If that's the case, I've performed such searches since the NBR update without the problems you described. Although I've never done it via the menu. I always press Search on the remote. Don't want to try it your way and tempt fate. ;)

You're correct. This only happens if you approach search thru 'menu'-'themes and searches(2)' avenue and only if you have your 522 busy watching one recorded thing and recording something else. Now if I can retrain my wife to not use menu-2 to do searches all will be well with the world.

Again kids-do not attempt this stunt at home unless you have a 522 with timers on it you don't care about.

cheers,
eastern

Does anyone else ever have timers record perfectly at the perfect time but then be renamed with some incorrect random name and description in the DVR events screen? When you start the recording the name and info on the info button is correct. All very confusing when you have a bunch of recordings in the DVR events screen where some of the info is incorrect.

I have seen this, though it always looks to be the title for the show that it caught when it started 1 minute early. I am not sure why this happens.

Brad

I have also seen this problem my guess would be Gremlins in the machine code. We can blame all the problems on the Gremlins in the hardware or the software. Now we just need a good exterminator.

Hmm... This is scary as I always do a search this way.. Never seen the search button before... I think I will start using it now... Is it confirmed that using the search button is safe in the above conditions?

Wishbone said:
Hmm... This is scary as I always do a search this way.. Never seen the search button before... I think I will start using it now... Is it confirmed that using the search button is safe in the above conditions?

Like all software bugs that dish software testers(otherwise known as customers) deal with it's really hard to document the exact circumstances that cause the bug to appear. I reproduced this four times with a search from menu-themes and searches-etc. and lost my timers four times. I have not reproduced it from the search button. Who knows? It's Dish's job to debug their software not mine. I was hoping that they monitor this forum and fix the problem. L232 is very unstable as far as timers go. Enough said.

cheers,
eastern oregon

The overlap thing is a pain in the butt. On Fridays I tape two back to back shows on ABC, but when I re-did the timer with the new sw release, the second show jumped from tuner 2 (default) to tuner 1 because of the time conflict. I changed it so that show one does not go over and it cured the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)