NASA-A waste of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
I feel like nasa is a waste of this country's money. Our tax dollars that all of us drones go and work out gets wasted on killing astronauts and creating more space junk.

All those Billions of $$$$$ could end world hunger starting with the hungary families right here at home, it could end pollution since with this kind of money invested in alternative and renewable energy sources. America could be a world leader in "energy independence" instead of a leader in energy glutting. This money could certainly if used properly be a damn good start on making the world a much better place.

Humans do not need to find other planets to live on, after all this is the ultimate goal of nasa. It would not matter how many planets we found that we could live on, mankind would screw them all up just like they have done this one. Instead of having one polluted immoral planet - just think we could have several-WOW !!!#@$%^&*$%$# WOW.

Maybe we could even start some world wars on the new planet or better yet since people like to fight so much - One planet could be the Gloom, Doom, and Kill planet where everyone who loves violence could go and suck it up.

Then we could give the Homosexuals their own planet, can't leave them out.

Give the politicians their own planet and call it the "Globe of Lies and Selfishness". What a perfect name. They could cover every square mile with country clubs and golf courses where everyone could sit and brag about someone they lied to or screwed out of something.

Last but not least give all of us who enjoy life, have our hobbies, love our families, work hard to reach our goals a place where we will not be interfered with or hindered by people with different agendas, Maybe we could keep this planet!!! :D

While you're at it...museums, libraries, schools and hospitals are a complete waste of money too since they do nothing to help feed hungry children nor end pollution. I'm sure my friend who works at Goddard Space Flight Center can find more meaningful ways to earn a living so he can feed his family and cloth his children. Ugh!

BTW, what planet are you from? Never mind, I see you're from West Virginia. :rolleyes:

Nothing like the truth

Nothing ruffles feathers in this world like the truth, if you don't believe me read your bible. I never mentioned schools and libraries in this post so don't act like an attorney and adlib.

I am not against the development of science and education since I have an MBA in Biological Sciences from Marshall University Class of ,94.
But folks we have to face it, this country has larger priorities than the space program. I regret your friend or family member made a career in field that is so wasteful.

West Virginia is not dumb-Lots of educated people live in west virginia with flourishing and meaningful businesses.

one of my friends is a family social worker. He tells me stories about people starving their children so they can buy alcoholic beverages and tabacco products. Nasa falls in the same category but on a much larger scale.

I'm wearing photosensitive lenses in my glasses... a technology that has been developed from space experiments.

Look at where technology has jumped in the last 50 years. Look at where it has jumped in the last 20. Tell me again having the best and brightest engineers in the world in one location is a bad idea.

The only reason we have world hunger, aside from political oppression, is because the people are too dumb/stubborn/stupid to MOVE to where there's FOOD!

100% of the planet was not designed for the human population.. if food ain't growin, you ain't supposed to be there. In my opinion, that's just natural selection doing it's job making sure the weak and the stoopid are weeded out from the herd.

BTW, I didn't lock the thread beacause this is a free form forum, and if people want to make dumb comments they are free to do so. As long as they can take the heat.

Velcro is another good thing we have that we can thank NASA for.

Don't dog a good agency like NASA. I think the same way you do about some other organizations that to me do nothing but waste money.

truckracer said:
Nothing ruffles feathers in this world like the truth, if you don't believe me read your bible. I never mentioned schools and libraries in this post so don't act like an attorney and adlib..
Ok so why are your referring to the bible??

truckracer said:
West Virginia is not dumb-Lots of educated people live in west virginia with flourishing and meaningful businesses...
Too bad you are representing them with this thread.

bcshields said:
BTW, I didn't lock the thread beacause this is a free form forum, and if people want to make dumb comments they are free to do so. As long as they can take the heat.

I completely agree with the exception of his bigotted statement towards homosexuals. You don't have to agree with the lifestyle, but you should at least respect them as human beings.

Chado said:
I completely agree with the exception of his bigotted statement towards homosexuals. You don't have to agree with the lifestyle, but you should at least respect them as human beings.

I didn't see that.. 90% of the time I skim 2 or 3 sentances and move on.

Yes there is a lot of well educated folks in West Viriginia including those who work at NASA's Software Independent Verification and Validation Center. Folks in West Virgina also appreciate all the federal pork barrel spending that Senator Byrd gets for them as well. For comparison, NASA's budget is around $17 billion/year which includes aeronautics programs that are unfortunately getting cut back. The U.S. Air Force's space budget is around $20 billion.

The thread starter also mentioned alternative and renewable energy sources. Back in the late 70's, NASA was doing a great deal of work in this area for the Department of Energy. This included wind turbine technology and photovoltaic development (solar energy). NASA still does some work in these areas although much of this work was stopped in the early 80's.

truckracer said:
I feel like nasa is a waste of this country's money. Our tax dollars that all of us drones go and work out gets wasted on killing astronauts and creating more space junk.

And this "war" that this administration forced on the people of the United States isn't wasting our money? Seems to me that sending men and women into space is a whole lot more productive that losing almost 2,000 men and women in a place that had nothing to do with what they tried to convince us it did. Sadam didn't send those planes into the trade center, Bin Laden did. The people of Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11, Al Qaeda did. So why are we spending hundreds of billions of dollars to let our people be killed? How many starving children right here in the U.S.A. could Georgie Boy have fed with that money? How many people could we had educated and helped them out of poverty with that money? How many dollars could we have given to soldiers and their families to improve their lives? Instead we cut their pay, send them over into what is turning into our generations version of Vietnam.
We are spending billions more on this war than we are spending on NASA, I think your priorities are a bit mixed up if you ask me! A whole lot more good has come from the things NASA has done for the world that this war and the money we have spent on it.
As far as the program killing astronauts. How many of them have quit and said, "nope, not me I ain't getting in that thing and going up!" None! Nada! Not one! Why? Because they belive in it, they trust it, and because the good that can be done far outweighs the tragedys that have happened. Let's face it, sometimes sh*t happens and things blow up. As much as it sucks and we hate for it to happen, it happens. A friend of mine got in her car about two months ago on the morning of her wedding no less, and a drunk driver hit her car and killed her. Did we stop driving cars? No. We continue on, why? Because sh*t happens. Don't get me wrong, I think improvements need to be made and things need to be upgraded, but I am more than happy with my tax dollars going to NASA than the millions and millions of pork that congress and our president are spending on "special interests"!

truckracer said:
Then we could give the Homosexuals their own planet, can't leave them out.
Oh, please expand on this quaint little statement you made! I can't wait to see what you have to say about this one! I'm begging you, I seriously want to know why you decided to throw that statement in. Please :yes :yes :yes :yes :yes

bcshields said:
The only reason we have world hunger, aside from political oppression, is because the people are too dumb/stubborn/stupid to MOVE to where there's FOOD!
That's one of the most ignorant statements I've seen someone make. Try telling that to the people in the situation you're speaking of. Ask them why they don't just pack up their Range Rover and buy a house in the suburbs where there is ample supply of supermarkets. They'll smack themselves in the forehead for not thinking of that sooner.

EEJay said:
That's one of the most ignorant statements I've seen someone make. Try telling that to the people in the situation you're speaking of. Ask them why they don't just pack up their Range Rover and buy a house in the suburbs where there is ample supply of supermarkets. They'll smack themselves in the forehead for not thinking of that sooner.

Sorry, but humans are migratory animals, naturally speaking. Do you think the native Americans just sat and rotted because the buffalo were'nt roaming around where they set up their camp? No, they MOVED TO WHERE THE FOOD WAS. It's basic human instinct, and if they don't got it, then natural selection got their ass.

bcshields said:
Sorry, but humans are migratory animals, naturally speaking. Do you think the native Americans just sat and rotted because the buffalo were'nt roaming around where they set up their camp? No, they MOVED TO WHERE THE FOOD WAS. It's basic human instinct, and if they don't got it, then natural selection got their ass.
Or maybe those bullets from the white man "got their ass"!!

Note to self: West Virginia + Marshall University = ignorance.

Who was it that said something to the effect of: "Our Universities have accumulated a wealth of knowledge. Each freshman enters with some and each graduate leaves with none - and the University keeps accumulating it"

This thread is a case in point.

Wow. I'm amazed that this topic is stirring up such emotion. I somewhat agree with truckracer's main point, although I think he went a little over-the-top in how he expressed it.

*ducks and runs for shelter*

I mean, billions and billions of dollars are being spent on something that doesn't seem to be producing much in the way of results. I don't know that I'd recommend totally scrapping the space program but I could certainly see some sense in dialing it back a bit and redirecting some of those billions of dollars (not to Iraq, please....if fact lets redirect a few billion of those dollars, too, while we're at it -- see how easy this all is? :D ) to other endeavors -- and feeding people seems like a pretty worthwhile cause. Would there be a whole lot of harm in taking, say, three or four billion from our space hunt and buying some food for the starving? Or shelters for the homeless? Searching for/developing renewable energy? All seem to me like things that might be better uses for at least a couple billion. And go ahead and leave NASA a few billion to play with, too. I understand that it would hurt their efforts drastically, but an awful lot of good could be done at a cost of what? The space stuff taking a little longer? More time between botched shuttle adventures? Sounds okay to me. I just would have skipped all the dramatics and hyperbole that truckracer decided to use.

And as far as his homosexuals getting their own planets comment -- did any of you actually read his post? How could you possibly think he was serious? Do you really think he wants NASA to develop separate planets for politicians and the violent-prone as well? His whole point was that he thinks space exploration is a waste of money -- how could you not recognize the irony, or notice the tongue-in-cheek nature of his sarcasm? There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone, but can't you do it like a grown-up?

Uranus jokes aside.......

There are plenty of worthless pork-barrel expenditures to tap before messing with NASA. I think the latest $250 Billion highway bill has $24 Billion of pork attached to it. Knowledge of the universe that we live in is one of the few good and worthy uses of federal funds.

truckracer said:
one of my friends is a family social worker. He tells me stories about people starving their children so they can buy alcoholic beverages and tabacco products.
So we should divert our space money to these backwoods morons who would rather feed their own addiction than their own flesh & blood? :no Maybe the money could be spent to castrate people like that. :yes

I live in Ohio, and WE make fun of people from W. Virginia if that tells you anything...=)>

To say that NASA is a waste is just incredibly ignorant. Do you really think if they stopped NASA, that anyone in the world, especially our president, would do anything with that money that would affect world hunger? You know why we've got world hunger? Take a look at those late night commercials to feed the children. They say 27,000 children die each day. Well, considering i've seen these commercials for YEARS, i'd have to say that at least 27,001 kids are born every day. Seems like they don't need more food, they need more condoms. Instead of handing out bibles, hand out rubbers. It's a lot easier to feed a million people than it is to feed 30 million...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts