NASA on 72.0W Versus NASA on 87.0W Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
In the past I was receiving 4 NASA channels on 72.0W on C Band on my Mesh Dish and have noticed many posts lately re NASA now is on 87.0W. On "The List" the content looks very similar but it looks like AC3 is required for the NASA channels on 87.0W? If that is the case then since my Sat Receiver is NOT AC3 capable then I would not be able to hear these channels on 87.0W, and likewise be wasting my time scanning them in. Can anyone confirm that I would need an AC3 capable Sat Receiver to hear the NASA channels on 87.0W?

NASA moved from 72° to 87° West C-Band (I removed the listing for NASA on 72° West C-Band).
I can not pick up NASA with my 1.2 meter dish after the move, but by looking at TheList there are AC3 pids and normal pids for each channel.
So your receiver that is not capable of decoding AC3 should still be able to use the normal pids for the audio.

I can confirm what qwert1515 said. NASA does not require an AC3 decoder. It works fine on my old Fortec Star Lifetime NA and an old analog TV.

NASA moved from 72° to 87° West C-Band (I removed the listing for NASA on 72° West C-Band).
I can not pick up NASA with my 1.2 meter dish after the move, but by looking at TheList there are AC3 pids and normal pids for each channel.
So your receiver that is not capable of decoding AC3 should still be able to use the normal pids for the audio.

Thanks Qwert1515 & TRG I will rescan NASA in on 87.0W, which will make it easier since the Dish won't have to move as far as I had to go to 72.0W - hope it scans in with my 12 Footer. Thanks.

NASA is very strong. A little stronger on AMC3 than on AMC6 here in MN with the 6 footer

4 channels log. 1st 3 are unscrambled 4th is scrambled (like it was before). The 3 unscrambled are regular audio and also have AC-3 as secondary

NASA is very strong. A little stronger on AMC3 than on AMC6 here in MN with the 6 footer

4 channels log. 1st 3 are unscrambled 4th is scrambled (like it was before). The 3 unscrambled are regular audio and also have AC-3 as secondary

Thanks Iceberg, you are dead right. Scanned in all 4 channels - HQ1 to HQ4 on 87.0W, actually on my Receiver its called 86.9W on C Band, and as you mentioned the channels are strong: Signal strength as follows: S = 74 and Q = 86. I understand that there are only 4 more Shuttle Launches left before it is retired this fall, that is sad as this is one really impressive piece of American Technology. Did you say the Shuttle launches are on HQ4 or on all the channels?

shuttle launches are on HQ1 for sure and HQ5 (the HD channel which is part time and only shows up on a scan when they do the launch)

But HQ2 & 3 also have sometimes the same stuff as HQ1 (the main channel)

If you blind scan, there is a couple feeds also. One is the "limo" channel that was on AMC6 and the other 2 are 4:2:2 feeds of NASA (I think)

shuttle launches are on HQ1 for sure and HQ5 (the HD channel which is part time and only shows up on a scan when they do the launch)

But HQ2 & 3 also have sometimes the same stuff as HQ1 (the main channel)

If you blind scan, there is a couple feeds also. One is the "limo" channel that was on AMC6 and the other 2 are 4:2:2 feeds of NASA (I think)

Thanks Iceberg for the good info, I'll try to scan in "Limo" channel. Sorry about not knowing but what is a 4:2:2 feed? And is it likely my Viewsat Rx won't pick up 4:2:2 feeds?

4:2:2 is just another way they send the signal. A viewsat cannot pick them up. It will scan in the channel and have audio but show garbled picture

one of the 4:2:2 feeds is the same thing as the Limo channel so you're OK with that

4:2:2 is just another way they send the signal. A viewsat cannot pick them up. It will scan in the channel and have audio but show garbled picture

one of the 4:2:2 feeds is the same thing as the Limo channel so you're OK with that

Thanks a lot for the valuable info Iceberg. I have seen that audio and garbled picture on some other Satellite channels that I scanned in, in the past and I always wondered what it was, thought it maybe was an HD Channel - great info.

I don't think I've ever seen either of the 4.2.2 feeds showing the same content as the LIMO channel. Every time I've tuned them in, all of those scpc channels were different. Are you sure you're not seeing the LIMO channel at 2 different freqs? Ie that first day when the NASA channels moved over to AMC3, they were moving the feeds around to different freqs, and if you scanned them in that day, you might have scanned in one of the 4.2.2 channels at a freq different from where it is now, and you might actually be picking up the LIMO on 2 different freqs, since one of the 4.2.2 channels has the same SR as the LIMO channel.

Just a thought, because I always thought that all 3 were different. I seem to remember the LIMO having sort of regular programming, while the 2 4.2.2 channels seem to cycle between different views of the launch area, usually with a buzzing data signal in the audio. Also, one of the 4.2.2 channels I think is where they typically put the radar views showing storms coming into the area. During launches, I'm typically jumping around between all 4 transponders, and don't remember duplication..... but my brain is getting less reliable (SS does that to you) so I may be remembering wrong. Right now, the LIMO has a slate up, and the 2 4.2.2 channels are different.

Wonder what they scramble? Must be the alien missions. :)

I get 4 channels. Nasa Public, Media, Education, and Mission. Is Mission the scrambled one? It's blank most of the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts