Nasa TV on Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

protcron

Sep 24, 2007
Hi, I'm a noob and if anybody can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I have a DirectTV Dish with a triple lnb pointed at 101, 110, and 119. I also have a Direct TV box that I bought off of Craigslist. It is not activated and has the card but works.
I verified that everything works. I was able to see the DirectTV tips guy (Charlie?). The problem is, I don't want Direct TV. I don't want to pay for it just to get the NASA channel. What I really would like is NasaTV but the box (when set to that channel) says that it is "not activated" so it won't display it.
Does anyone have advice on how I might go about getting NasaTV legally with the equipment that I have? Or any other tips on how I could do this affordablely. Would I just need an activated Dish Network box and it work, even though the actual dish itself is different?

You can receive Nasa TV on Echostar 7 @ 119 Degrees West using FTA equipment.

Your dish and LNB's will work, but you need a FTA equipment.

So, I get an FTA receiver and this will work? Are there any recommendations on an inexpensive receiver that will do this?

For the purposes of this experiment I am only interested in receiving Nasa, and maybe golTV. Basically i am not interested in reorienting the dish (that's a whole different set of things to learn and understand.) I already have the dish pointed so I'll keep it there for now.
Maybe in the future, if I'm not too busy at some point, i may be interested in going for other FTA channels on different sat's. Galaxy 10R, etc. Maybe I'll need a new dish at that point.
So I want balance what I can do and have time for against expense.

And I know that Nasa is broadcast on the internet. I'm not interested in doing that.

He should be able to get NASA and GOL with a previously authorized DISH box. I know I was able to do it last I checked a few months back.

Basically i am not interested in reorienting the dish (that's a whole different set of things to learn and understand.) I already have the dish pointed so I'll keep it there for now.

I think you understand this but I will state it anyway. You will have to point the dish to Echostar 7 for Nasa TV, unfortunately GolTV is on Echostar 8/10 at 110 Degrees west, this means you will have to re point the dish for each channel or have two LNB's and a switch.

Any FTA receiver will do what you want, you can look at our sponsors here or Ebay. From what I can think of the Traxis, Coolsat and Pansat makes good receivers.

You don't need a FTA box. Any Dish Network box that has once been activated, even if it is no longer, will receive NASA TV for free.

That's weird, I have a old 508 receiver that used to be subscribed and it can not receive NASA any more (It shows up as a "RED" subscription channel), thats why I recommended a FTA receiver.

qwert1515, I get that. Like I said, I have the triple LNB. So I should be able to get GolTV too. Right?

So, the answer is to buy a FTA receiver. Uggg.

The thing with the Triple LNB is the center can pick up all frequencies but the other two side LNBs can only pick up parts on each, example: Right LNB picks up even transponders and the Left LNB picks up odd transponders.

So you will need to use a DiSEqC switch, and you might have to play around with the settings.

He should be able to get NASA and GOL with a previously authorized DISH box. I know I was able to do it last I checked a few months back.
I just checked, I can get NASA but not GOL with a previously authorized DISH box. I can get both with a FTA Fortec Mercury II receiver.
Bob

That's weird, I have a old 508 receiver that used to be subscribed and it can not receive NASA any more (It shows up as a "RED" subscription channel), thats why I recommended a FTA receiver.

Hmmm...I'm still getting it. Real old legacy receiver (4000 I think).

Here is the DirecTV Phase III dish we think you are talking about.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=OD1820-BX
The electronics built into the LNB assembly will get the three DirecT birds, and will feed four receivers for subscription use.

Now, to get either Dish Network 119º NASA or 110º GolTV, that dish will need to be re-aimed.
That is just an inescapable fact.
It's not hard.
The dishes are not that directional, and the signals are very strong.

I do seem to recall using a very old junker Dish receiver , well past it's prime, and still being able to get NASA on it.
That was back when Dish used BLUE activation cards.
Since they went to the yellow cards, maybe 3 years ago, the cards need to be periodically re-activated (so to speak) to keep them working.
So, a yellow card or receiver that had been stored in a closet for a few months, might not get anything.
Whether or not it'd still get NASA under those circumstances, someone else will have to make that specific claim.

Yes, any FTA receiver will get GOL and NASA just fine.
You can get a cheap Traxis 3500 for about $70, and I think I've seen a Satpros 500 on Ebay for $50.
Of course, what you wanted was a free solution, and all we've given you is expensive and awkward. :rolleyes:
Sorry 'bout that.
If anyone has a better solution, do speak up!

The Phase III DirecTV (triple LNBF oval dish) will only work on one bird at a time with a FTA receiver, since only one of the LNBFs will work properly with such a receiver (the 101w LNBF). If you want both GOL-TV and NASA, and do not want to move the dish, I'd suggest looking for an old Dish Network Dish 500 dish. This dish will get 110w and 119w at the same time. The best one to use is the oldest model, with two separate LNBFs. These are getting very hard to find. If you can't find one, you could try a DishPro model (NOT DishPro Plus) Dish 500. The problem with these is they use stacked frequencies and require either a blind scan receiver or a re-editing of your transponder list.

After you put that amount of money into the hobby, you might as well go all out with the 30" or larger dish and a motor. There is plenty up there to see!

I don't anything about that triple unit but if it doesn't work with a diseqc switch then he could just as easily find a used 18" single (possibly for free) and swap it in on his existing mast and then add either an FTA receiver or an unactivated Dish receiver. Not sure if the latter gets you the music channels off 119 as well.

As you can see from this current thread, GolTV is no longer available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts