Nasa Tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Trouble getting NASA TV on EchoStar 7 (119 West) Could anyone advise to see if they have moved or what not? Maybe frequency change? Would love to know. Thanks

You will need a circularly polorized lnb to receive NASA on that sat. I added one to the side of my linear lnb and got it going that way.
grusome

TP 12370
SR 20,000 ?

Just wanna be sure. I entered all that in. I'll just blindscan the damn sat in the meantime and see if it shows up.

Oh hell...I'm aimed at 110, not 119. I get sick and tired of the receiver not realizing that it's not at the respective dish I program within the receiver. I'll be adjusting now.

First time I did a blind scan of this satellite... I haven't bothered with it before because it's circular polarized, but I'm getting some signals from it.

First, why does the "congratulations" Dish network slate say 118 degrees?

With my standard linear Ku-band LNB and 12' dish I'm getting about 2-dozen radio stations, the Angel channel and some sort of Dish operations/setup channel, but not the NASA channel... manually scanning xpdr 12.370 GHz, the signal level is at 98-99%, but the quality is only around 68-70% (Coolsat receiver) while most of the other channels are up around 90-95%. Playing with polarity seems to have very little affect on the overall signal quality, I can rotate the polarity through 270-degrees and not affect the signals very much... I wonder of one of those Teflon slabs in the throat of the feedhorn would give better reception?

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

I finally got NASA TV going now!! Had to lay the dish in a spot where the tree isn't blocking the view.

You know, these DBS sats are hell to deal with. This is the one reason we all could use digital satellite meters. I'm now aimed at 119 with the DBS dish, yet the receiver also claims I'm aimed at 129 and 148 which isn't true.

At least the linear sats don't have this much of a problem. DBS sats are always gonna be a pain in the ass and at VERY high power due to the large number of subs. for D* and E*. (The 2 major sub companies)

So, at least I can watch the missions in action and see the crew doin their thing.

By the way, this is a good question. When one is orbiting in the space shuttle or stationed in the ISS (International Space Station), how do you get TV? Sounds like a dumb question, but your not always pointed at the same dish when inside the shuttle. Or are you? I've always wondered about that. Hell....don't need a dish if the ISS is near one of the TV sats, you can probably just stick an LNB outside the cabin and bam....100% signal. Just some food for thought.

At one time NASA was placing a series of communications satellites in low orbit just for space shuttle communications. I'm not sure if that was ever accomplished. I believe that the only way those on board the ISS could receive video would be through a NASA transmission directly to them. As far as the regular TV satellites go, the ISS isn't that much closer to them than we are when you look at the scale of things.

NASA has their own constellation of satellites called TDRSS (Tracking and Data Relay Satellites System) that they use to for communication/telemetry/TV with the ISS/Shuttle. Both the ISS and Shuttle have Ku (or it may be Ka) band dishes that automatically track the TDRSS satellites which are in Geostationary orbit and this link gives them high data rate capability. The dish for the Shuttle is mounted in the cargo bay and is only active when the cargo bay doors are open, which happens to be whenever it's in orbit (for cooling reasons), for the short time prior to entry when the doors are close and whenever the dish is stored/blocked they use (wideband FM) S-band for TV transmissions.

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)