NASCAR 2013 season

What happened to the HD picture on fox here

Who is your local Fox? WVAH? They are having a contract dispute, so they put up that stupid message and it put black bars all over the screen.

yawn....besides a couple of accidents,talk about a snooze fest.I like the appearance of the gen6 cars but,it's virtually impossible to make a pass on them.Unless the 1st place car wrecks,blows up,or gets screwed by a bad pit stop,they stay in 1st place.I will say good job by Danica Patrick though.

The charge that Jr.and Martin,made on the last lap,looked to me like Biffle and Patrick slowed down thinking there would be a caution.

2nd and 3rd place going for the win are gonna slow down in case of a Caution ?

That's NOT how you race, you don't slow down incase something should happen, particularlry when its Behind you...

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I wouldn't give a dime for those 1.5 mile cookie cutter cloned tracks.The super speedways are what it's all about imho.They have effectively eliminated the draft,at least for this daytona 500.The gen 5 cars had more passes than the gen 6.Drivers would drop back to the tail of the pack then 2 laps later be in first and second.I have a feeling if things stay as they are now,Jimmie Johnson,and Chevy will be winning a lot of boring races this year.

2 drivers yesterday started towards the back and were in the Top 10 very early in the race, so it can be done.

2 drivers yesterday started towards the back and were in the Top 10 very early in the race, so it can be done.

Well,you listen to most of the drivers,the majority said it's very hard to pass.Most of the lead changes in the 500,were because of pit stops.Everyone I have talked to that watched the race agree it was flat out boring.The internet sports sites also agree that it was boring.

2nd and 3rd place going for the win are gonna slow down in case of a Caution ?

That's NOT how you race, you don't slow down incase something should happen, particularlry when its Behind you...

Yea but,if your spotter says cars spinning or wrecking and your Danica Patrick,you might let off the throttle for a split second.I don't know that she or Biffle did but,it just looked like they did.The reason I say that,is because the previous 499 laps showed no moves like Martin and Jr.made.

I'm not so sure it's the car as much as it is the drivers just being conservative. Every race from start to finish should be a shootout till the end. I blame nascar for making it the way it is. There needs to be more incentive on individual races rather than the big picture/points.

I don't believe I could be a driver & do give those folks credit. The high speed in traffic jams alone would be enough to break me, besides I'd have to stop for a pee break every 100 or so laps. :rolleyes:

Overall I enjoyed the race. Danica ran real good & fast imo, so did many of the others. I like the look of the new cars & will admit out loud that I'm a Toyota fan but not big fan of their drivers.

I just wanna see some actual passes,not 43 cars driving in a circle in the same position for 500 laps.

Well,you listen to most of the drivers,the majority said it's very hard to pass.Most of the lead changes in the 500,were because of pit stops.Everyone I have talked to that watched the race agree it was flat out boring.The internet sports sites also agree that it was boring.

Yea but,if your spotter says cars spinning or wrecking and your Danica Patrick,you might let off the throttle for a split second.I don't know that she or Biffle did but,it just looked like they did.The reason I say that,is because the previous 499 laps showed no moves like Martin and Jr.made.

So, because Biffle and Patrick may have slowed down, allowed Jr and Martin to catch Johnson ?
Johnson didnt slow down ...

44 cars on the entry list for Phoenix

The 2 from Daytona that aren't making the trip are Bayne and Brian Keselowski

sidenote...kinda sucks we have to wait over a month for another truck race

Next truck race is 1st weekend in April

44 cars on the entry list for Phoenix

The 2 from Daytona that aren't making the trip are Bayne and Brian Keselowski

Hopefully we will see some racing this Sunday.
I listened to NASCAR radio on Sirius yesterday. Most of the hosts said they thought the Daytona 500 was "a good race".
They did not convince me. Let's face it. The middle 125 laps of the event had the entertainment value of watching grass grow.
Yes it is a test of endurance.
With the old model, there was plate races with in excess of 50 lead changes during the event. The fans hated the two car tandem. NASCAR reacted for that and other reasons. The geniuses designed the Gen 6.
Now we have no racing on plate tracks.
Now, some callers suggested getting rid of the restrictor plates. Not gonna happen. A couple people suggested detuning the engines. That was shot down as too expensive.
I have a suggestion. Keep the plates. Mandate a minimum final gear ratio. The thinking is if the gear ratio turns the engine RPM's at speed, the drivers will not be able to run with their foot to the floor. This does two things. One reduces race speeds. Two gives the drivers some room to accelerate for passing or in instances where they must lift or brake.
In my observation, the reason we saw 30 cars in single file for 300 miles was because they cannot pass if they get out of line. So with that mentality being the same with all the drivers, no one wanted to make a move.

They did not convince me. Let's face it. The middle 125 laps of the event had the entertainment value of watching grass grow.

lol Agreed.

The Coca Cola 600 is considered more of an endurance race.I always thought the Daytona 500 was more about racing added with endurance.

Hopefully we will see some racing this Sunday.
I listened to NASCAR radio on Sirius yesterday. Most of the hosts said they thought the Daytona 500 was "a good race".

You are correct, but most races of any distance have periods like that in the middle and picks up towards the end.

With the old model, there was plate races with in excess of 50 lead changes during the event. The fans hated the two car tandem. NASCAR reacted for that and other reasons. The geniuses designed the Gen 6.
Now we have no racing on plate tracks.
Now, some callers suggested getting rid of the restrictor plates. Not gonna happen. A couple people suggested detuning the engines. That was shot down as too expensive.
I have a suggestion. Keep the plates. Mandate a minimum final gear ratio. The thinking is if the gear ratio turns the engine RPM's at speed, the drivers will not be able to run with their foot to the floor. This does two things. One reduces race speeds. Two gives the drivers some room to accelerate for passing or in instances where they must lift or brake.
In my observation, the reason we saw 30 cars in single file for 300 miles was because they cannot pass if they get out of line. So with that mentality being the same with all the drivers, no one wanted to make a move.

We see that way too much as well.

I'm going to boldly predict,that the Phoenix race will be much more exciting!

Not!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts