NASCAR 2016 season

Well there were 44 drivers for the 500

Mikey waltrip was one
Ty Dillon was another (he is in the 14 this week)
I assume the other 3 were part time teams who aren't racing this week
There were 40 cars racing for the 500.
NASCAR dropped the number from 43 to 40 starting this year ... now theres only 39 ?

There were 40 cars racing for the 500.
NASCAR dropped the number from 43 to 40 starting this year ... now theres only 39 ?

40 cars make the race each week....it is down from 43.
But last week or the 500 there were 44 cars that attempted to make the race. 4 cars went home

These cars were at the 500 (whether they made it or not) but not at Atlanta
26 Robby Richardson, Jr
35 David Gilleland
40 Reed Sorensen
59 Michael McDowell (he is in the 95 this week as Ty Dillon is in the 14 for Smoke)
93 Matt Dibenedetto (he normally drives the 83 but Mikey Waltrip ran that)

Thats how we got down to 39 drivers at Atlanta

wish the trucks were racing this week.....thats what stinks about it

race Daytona
race Atlanta
a month off
race Martinsville
another month off

I guess the high winds weren't as significant to the cars as to the on-air personalities. Well, other than the epic amounts of trash blowing around the race track. The race had it all: wind, rain, sun, and diet storms!

Part of the problem is there are more race car drivers than racers (there's a difference). The race car drivers are all those folks back in the second half week after week, never improving, like Danica Patrick (and I was a fan). No particular reason for them to be there other than to help fill out the field and cause congestion problems when being lapped. They never race to be competitive, they only drive along and let everybody else pass them. IMHO a driver should be given 5 years and if after 5 years they can't finish at least 1/3 of their races in the front half of the field they need to look for another line of work.

Part of the problem is there are more race car drivers than racers (there's a difference). The race car drivers are all those folks back in the second half week after week, never improving, like Danica Patrick (and I was a fan). No particular reason for them to be there other than to help fill out the field and cause congestion problems when being lapped. They never race to be competitive, they only drive along and let everybody else pass them. IMHO a driver should be given 5 years and if after 5 years they can't finish at least 1/3 of their races in the front half of the field they need to look for another line of work.
I like your thinking ....
Now that would put the field each week at no more than 20.
Personally, I'd like to see the Chase, top 16 and that's the only ones on the track, but due to Sponsors we kn I w that would never fly.

Implement a 105% Rule that says your qualifying time needs to be within 105% of the Pole Sitter or you're watching the race on Sunday instead of driving in it. And Black Flag those cars that can't maintain pace during the race, too. Advertisers would hate that, though...

So, I've been keeping track of this stuff since the beginning of 2013 with the introduction of the Gen 6 car.

There have been a total of 111 Sprint Cup points races run from the 2013 Daytona 500 to last week.

111 races, that produced a grand total of just 21 different winners from 12 different teams.
8 out of the 21 winners over the past 3 seasons have only won 1 race, 4 of the 12 teams have only won 1 race

JGR is the only Toyota team to be significant in this time frame. All Toyota wins in 2014 and 2015 came from JGR.
HMS is the most successful Chevy Team in this time frame
Penske is the only Ford team to do anything in this time frame. All Ford wins in 2015 came from Penske.

So is it any surprise a JGR car, a HMS car and a Penske car make up the first three wins of 2016?

Outside of Daytona and 'Dega, realistically there are only about 10 drivers with a shot to win every week. Even with the four restrictor plate races, there's not much variation in winning recently. Ragan at Talladega in 2013, and previously at the Summer Daytona race in 2012 and Bayne in the 500 the same year and Almirola had the rain shortened Daytona race. Looking at the numbers, what incentive is there for some of the 3rd rate teams when they know they have no chance. Maybe that's why there's only been 39 entries lately. I am really surprised Team Burger King, Front Row and HScott are able to support 2 cars each, with BK and Front Row having 3 in the past

upload_2016-3-11_20-21-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-11_19-57-12.png
    upload_2016-3-11_19-57-12.png
    9 KB · Views: 103

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts