Nascar 2020

As this sport continues to bleed fans at a rate unprecedented in the entire history of spectator sports, more and more gimmicks will be tried by the management, still unaware that they are the CAUSE of the problem.

Reactions: osu1991 and Elsguy
Yet another moment right out of the bizarre 2020 playbook! His Airness, MJ...now going to be a Cup owner partnering with Denny Hamlin on a new team! Bubba Wallace and his pile of new sponsors coming along for the ride.

They bought the charter from the #13 Germain Racing team that has been up for sale since longtime sponsor Geico announced they were not returning for 2021. You can bet this will end up a JGR "affiliate" running Toyotas. (Even money bet it ends up #23. lol)

This sport's history is littered with faded celebrities/retired athletes who come in as owners (and a few even as drivers) in an attempt to stay in the public eye. Most last a couple years and go away. It is also full of mega-rich owners that figure out that you cannot buy your way to a title.

More 2021 Cup Schedule speculation floating around:
  • Looks like Texas is losing one of it's two races, but gaining the All-Star Race as compensation.
  • Chicagoland and Kentucky may both be dropped.
  • The Bristol Spring Race becoming a dirt race seems to be gaining momentum.
  • Rumors of there being SIX road course events on the 2021 schedule. Appears one addition will be COTA (hence Texas losing one), and possibly one of which being a new street course. There were rumors awhile back of NASCAR investigating a street course in Chicago around Soldier Field and one in LA. Nashville also recently announced a street course layout for an Indy Grand Prix in 2021 that NASCAR may be looking into as well.

Reactions: charlesrshell
  • Looks like Texas is losing one of it's two races, but gaining the All-Star Race as compensation.
  • Rumors of there being SIX road course events on the 2021 schedule. Appears one addition will be COTA (hence Texas losing one), and possibly one of which being a new street course. There were rumors awhile back of NASCAR investigating a street course in Chicago around Soldier Field and one in LA. Nashville also recently announced a street course layout for an Indy Grand Prix in 2021 that NASCAR may be looking into as well.
More to make Nascar Not Nascar anymore ....
And this is suppose to be drawing fans ????

Reactions: SamCdbs
:hiding
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think most of the changes sound fun.
Texas changing races around, losing one and gaining the AS race ... thats fine .
Chicago and Kentucky dropped .... Ok, no big loss as far as I'm concerned.
Bristol becoming a Dirt race ... No WAY ... Bristol has two excellent races a year, particularly the Night race ... changing to a dirt track, not a good idea IMO ...

6 Road courses ... 2 was MORE than enough.

Bristol becoming a Dirt race ... No WAY ... Bristol has two excellent races a year, particularly the Night race ... changing to a dirt track, not a good idea IMO ...

At least in the case of that one, it's only for the Spring race...they aren't permanently converting Bristol into a dirt track. The Night Race will still be its usual self on the usual paved surface. Bristol trucked in dirt back in the early 2000s for a couple of World of Outlaws events (video from one of them), which is what they are trying here. Since NASCAR started doing the annual Truck Series dirt race in Eldora a few years back, there have been some wanting Cup to run an old school dirt race, but no dirt track out there was big enough to support a Cup series race, so they are apparently going to give this a shot instead. Heck...maybe it falls on its face and becomes a one-time oddity. I'll admit I'm a big dirt guy even being a Tony Stewart fan, but what the heck...I'll keep an open mind for one.

At least in the case of that one, it's only for the Spring race...they aren't permanently converting Bristol into a dirt track. The Night Race will still be its usual self on the usual paved surface. Bristol trucked in dirt back in the early 2000s for a couple of World of Outlaws events (video from one of them), which is what they are trying here. Since NASCAR started doing the annual Truck Series dirt race in Eldora a few years back, there have been some wanting Cup to run an old school dirt race, but no dirt track out there was big enough to support a Cup series race, so they are apparently going to give this a shot instead. Heck...maybe it falls on its face and becomes a one-time oddity. I'll admit I'm a big dirt guy even being a Tony Stewart fan, but what the heck...I'll keep an open mind for one.
I don't mind them once in a while, but 6 is just TOOOOOO many.

If you had told the NASCAR heroes back in the early 90s that they were going to get to race on a make-shift road course inside the Indy infield, they would have told you you were crazy.

The NASCAR spin-masters can do as they wish, but the blunt facts are that the Brickyard 400 is dead; two tracks (or 3 if you add in Iowa) are being shuttered and will never be raced again; and at least 2 more are making last gasp efforts at survival, neither of which will work. And the gaps are filled in with IMSA like races on IMSA tracks, only with cars and drivers ill-suited for IMSA racing.

This sport is in real trouble.

Reactions: Elsguy
Who are these people that Nascar says want these changes? About two years ago, Nascar asked me if I wanted to be on the fan council. I clicked yes. The first question was what is your birth date. I was 70 at that time. Then they responded sorry, we're all full up. They didn't know they were full up before they knew my age? I guess they don't want to listen to old farts like me. Just what happened to me.

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell
Who are these people that Nascar says want these changes?

They are not fans. They are network empty suits. NASCAR has a long developed corporate culture of listening to the people paying the money. That used to be RJR (Winston) and their rep was the late T. Wayne Robertson, a natural marketer, who understood just who Winstons were for and just who NASCAR fans were.

Then came the anti-tobacco extremists and Wayne's boat crash, and NASCAR started listening to its new money source. The networks. Particularly NBC. Urban, northeastern types who had no interest in NASCAR and considered it just a way to do time and get promoted to something else, like golf or maybe someday the NFL. Something less rural, and less course, and less common. And less Southern.

So these empty suits set about to remake NASCAR as if it were something it was not and cannot be. Idiotic idea after idiotic idea. The results speak for themselves. An unprecedented in the entire history of sports decline in popularity, as the natural NASCAR fan was driven away and the oh-so-wonderful types the empty suits coveted never were interested.

Now we are trying new gimmicks every year, losing tracks, demolishing grandstands.

And the TV money runs out after the 24 season. Leaving NASCAR in the dust.

Reactions: Elsguy
Hiedi Wins At Talledega....

NBC switches national feed to allow local news?
Or in the case of PHX, PAID PROGRAMMING.

So much for DVR...

Ok,
So chase it down on NBC Sports streaming app.
FF, searching through race for OT finish.
Get to watch the same 7 commercials about a dozen times. Commercials not skippable.

Just a nice reminder,
Streaming good for special situations,
But not yet ready for replacing the FF commercial skipping of the Dish Hopper.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: DWS44
Hiedi Wins At Talledega.... NBC switches national feed to allow local news?

Yeah, their handling of that left a lot to be desired. NBC was getting absolutely shredded on NASCAR Reddit last night. I never even heard the broadcast say they were switching channels. I was sitting there watching it live with my Dad when they went to a long commercial break, then suddenly the news broadcast starts. I thought they were popping in with a few headlines like the sometimes do, but no, they just kept on going. I finally thought to switch over to NBCSN and got there while they were still working on cleanup before the restart.