NASCAR HotPass on D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sounds interesting but for $99 they can keep it.

Why should a premium service be offered for free? Would you prefer they raise all subscriber's base bill by $1 - $3 / mo to pay for it just so you can get it for "free"?

News Release
DIRECTV Produces A World's First; Ushers In New Era Of NASCAR Viewing With Innovative HOTPASS Service To Debut At 2007 DAYTONA 500NASCAR HOTPASS(TM), Exclusively on DIRECTV, Brings Fans Into the Cars and Pits of Top Drivers and Racing Teams, Capturing the Drama and Decisions That Make or Break NASCAR Races
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 6, 2006--Setting another new benchmark in TV sports programming, DIRECTV will produce a world's first for NASCAR fans by taking them deep inside America's fastest-growing spectator sport, allowing them to ride shotgun with their favorite drivers, through a new television service - NASCAR HOTPASS(TM) only on DIRECTV. DIRECTV and NASCAR signed a three-year deal to offer the service exclusively to DIRECTV customers.
Each week during the 2007 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, NASCAR HOTPASS(TM), only on DIRECTV, will put race fans behind the wheel, in the pits and around the track with their favorite NASCAR drivers and teams, by offering five fully-produced channels allowing fans to follow five different drivers from the green to the checkered flag during every race. Each of the five dedicated driver channels will offer multiple camera angles, real-time statistics, in-car audio communication and a dedicated announcer team. The new HOTPASS service, combined with race day telecasts and nascar.com coverage, will give fans the most comprehensive and powerful NASCAR experience possible.
While the NASCAR viewing experience to date has focused predominately on the race and the ongoing battles taking place on the track between teams, the new DIRECTV service will bring to life the drama that exists within each racing team as they execute the decisions that make or break a race. Much like in football where the play-by-play decisions of coaches provide drama for the millions of "armchair" quarterbacks as they predict and analyze what the team will do next, such is the case with NASCAR HOTPASS only on DIRECTV(TM) as fans are privy to the dialogue and strategy involved in every critical move.
"NASCAR fans are the most passionate and committed fans in all sports," said David Hill, president, DIRECTV Entertainment. "Their depth of knowledge of what it takes to win is matched only by their commitment to their favorite driver. We're giving the fans of five drivers a race, the chance to live the entire race sitting next to their favorite driver. They'll hear driver conversations with the spotter and crew chief, they'll hear and experience every decision, and watch every move they make--right or wrong. For NASCAR fans, this is the ultimate thrill ride. Like the crew chief, they'll know where the driver stands in the field because both the network broadcast and the driver cameras will be on the same screen. It's a whole new way of looking at NASCAR."
"NASCAR is always breaking ground in presenting new ways for our fans to become fully immersed in the NASCAR experience. DIRECTV is a company consistently on the leading edge of sports television innovations, so this was a perfect fit," said Dick Glover, vice president of Broadcasting and New Media, NASCAR. "We're thrilled to have DIRECTV as the exclusive distributor of this exciting new programming service and are confident that together we will make NASCAR HOTPASS(TM) a must-have for every race fan. Research shows that products like this increase both the number of people watching a race and the time they spend viewing."
A team comprised of 70 professionals with sports' broadcast experience will bring DIRECTV's exclusive NASCAR HOTPASS(TM) to life each week and will offer fans the following features for the 2007 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Season:
  • Five dedicated driver channels, each channel dedicated to broadcasting one NASCAR driver throughout the race
  • Multiple screens on each driver channel devoted to the following:
    • Live national broadcast of the race
    • Drivers point-of-view camera looking out of the front windshield, with select telemetry readings
    • Additional camera angles including an overhead cam, pit box cam and corner cams
    • Live audio of the two-way communications between the driver, crew chief and spotter
    • Dedicated announcers for each driver channel
    • Real time statistics
DIRECTV customers can purchase NASCAR HOTPASS only on DIRECTV(TM) beginning Dec. 13. The full-season price of the package is $99, but customers can take advantage of an Early Bird offer by purchasing the package between Dec. 13 and Jan. 31, 2007 for $79. The exclusive service is also available on a pay-per-week basis for $29.99. More information is available on www.directv.com/hotpass.
In 1994, DIRECTV broke new ground in televised sports by partnering with the NFL to launch the exclusive NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) service. NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) and subsequent sports programming packages with Major League Baseball, the NHL, NBA and NCAA among other leagues have firmly established DIRECTV as the leader in specialized sports programming. DIRECTV has continued to utilize sports to drive the evolution of advanced television services, most recently with the exclusive 2006 US OPEN INTERACTIVE service and the NFL SUNDAY TICKET SUPERFAN service, an optional interactive tier for NFL SUNDAY TICKET customers that launched in 2005. It's fitting that this year DIRECTV continues its leadership in specialized and interactive sports programming bringing it to NASCAR, the number-two ranked sport in terms of national television ratings, trailing only the NFL.
DIRECTV is an official sponsor of NASCAR and an official sponsor of Richard Childress Racing (RCR) and the # 07 car.
About DIRECTV, Inc.
DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.6 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. DIRECTV is approximately 39 percent owned by News Corporation. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.
About NASCAR
The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR), which began in 1948, is the sanctioning body for one of America's premier sports. NASCAR is the No. 1 spectator sport - holding 17 of the top 20 attended sporting events in the U.S., the No. 2-rated regular season sport on television with broadcasts in more than 150 countries, and has 75 million fans that purchase more than $2.1 billion in annual licensed product sales. These fans are the most brand loyal in all of sports and as a result, more Fortune 500 companies participate in NASCAR than any other sport. NASCAR consists of three major national series (NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, NASCAR Busch Series, and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series) as well as eight regional tours and one local grassroots series. NASCAR sanctions 1,500 races at over 100 tracks in 35 states, Canada and Mexico. Based in Daytona Beach, NASCAR has offices in Bentonville (Ark.), Charlotte, Concord (N.C.), Conover (N.C.), Los Angeles, New York, Mexico City and Toronto.
MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=5288845
SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

Hmm wow 99 fo rht eyear thats awsome I mean no differnet than the sunday NFL ticket or something like that!!! Considering racing is 36 weeks long well actuallylike 40 weeks long but thats awsome cant wait to sign up

The biggest concern I have is each driver will have their own channel. I love the idea but you will be losing that channel if the driver does not finish.

It would be nice if that national feed would be commercial free but that is probably to much to hope for. $99 is a little much but when you figure it based on 36 races that is less then $3.00 a race. I did not see anything about the Busch races int he release but if they are included then the deal gets even better.

yeah nascar incar was basically the same thing. Will Incar still be on Cable or Only Satellite now? Personally I watched it maybe once or twice when it was the free preview and you had to switch the channel to see what was happening but it was neat that so many drivers had in car radio on their channel (was determined each week).

yeah nascar incar was basically the same thing. Will Incar still be on Cable or Only Satellite now? Personally I watched it maybe once or twice when it was the free preview and you had to switch the channel to see what was happening but it was neat that so many drivers had in car radio on their channel (was determined each week).

I think I read somewhere that cable won't have InCar anymore and that this will replace it....I'll look to see where I read it.

The Key question....that has not been asked....Is it in HD:)

I think for those who are Nascar fans...This will be a good thing, I think one draw back from what I have read is that each week you wont know which driver they will have cameras on. From what I read and hear Nascar fans are very loyal, so I would think they would be disaapointed, if for that week the camera was not on on there driver

I was already to order this until m wife pointed out a few things.

Unless you are able to watch the race LIVE without interuption, this service has some serious pitfalls. I don't get to watch many races LIVE and depend on my Tivo greatly. In this case, I would want to record the national broadcast on 1 turner and have to choose a driver ahead of time for the other.

If the driver goes out early, you could be left looking at a blank screen for the ret of the race.

Unless D* were to able a commercial free version of the national broadcast, this service is strictly for someone who can afford to devote the time to watch the race as it is running.

"If the driver goes out early, you could be left looking at a blank screen for the ret of the race. "

when this happened on the NASCAR In Car, they would switch to another driver.. same for one who was a few laps down.

as far as commercial free racing goes.. ESPN/ABC are taking over the 2nd half of the NASCAR season, and they already show nearly the entire races for IRL. when they cut to a "break", They have a side by side window, one with the race and the other with a commercial.

Last edited:
as far as commercial free racing goes.. ESPN/ABC are taking over the 2nd half of the NASCAR season, and they already show nearly the entire races for IRL. when they cut to a "break", They have a side by side window, one with the race and the other with a commercial.

That is a great idea if they do it that way.
Awhile back, I think it was TNT, ran the race straight thru with commercials in a smaller box, I thought that was a great idea, but I am sure the sponsors did not like it...

Sometime I just wish I still had my old BUD going, use to watch all sporting events commercial free, with audio and video still on.
Kinda gave you an insight about what they were going to show and talk about when they came back.

Jimbo

I beleive it was $99.
Ive waited for this for a long time, cant wait to order, early bird price $79.
I noticed on the change programming page,that you can add it now. I guess they jumped the gun on the 13th. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks till they close out my bill for the month. It's kind of funny on the order page. All the packages have the league logos by them except Nascar. It just has a box that says Logo Area.

"If the driver goes out early, you could be left looking at a blank screen for the ret of the race. "

when this happened on the NASCAR In Car, they would switch to another driver.. same for one who was a few laps down.

Unfortunatly, NASCAR has said no to the Side-by-Side commercials. Something to do with too many sponsors not getting full exposure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)