NASCAR on TNT HD Stinks up the Joing

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Did anyone watch the NASCAR race yesterday? Man. TNT really does a lousy job with the Nascar races. The picture quality is so bad it's like watching a stretched out version of SD. Bad camera angles, bad announcing, blah blah blah. It was actually boring, and I'm a pretty big fan.

I guess after watching it on OTA from Fox and NBC (last year) with the picture quailed, and NO ONE does a better job overall with the races than FOX. I'm kind of spoiled. They go to ESPN after six races so maybe there is hope. They have been doing a decent job with the IRL.

Did anyone watch the NASCAR race yesterday? Man. TNT really does a lousy job with the Nascar races. The picture quality is so bad it's like watching a stretched out version of SD. Bad camera angles, bad announcing, blah blah blah. It was actually boring, and I'm a pretty big fan.

I guess after watching it on OTA from Fox and NBC (last year) with the picture quailed, and NO ONE does a better job overall with the races than FOX. I'm kind of spoiled. They go to ESPN after six races so maybe there is hope. They have been doing a decent job with the IRL.

AGREED WITH 100% Plus the only part on TNT I like is Larry Mac, everyone else sucks, Too bad we dont have B.P. anymore he did good!!!

I thought is looked pretty good, maybe even excellent for TNT. Not stretched but real HDTV. It must have been the HD ANGEL.

They could have learned something by watching FOX's coverage with cameras buried in the track, etc.

These are the same announcers , etc. they have used in past years. I thought they did a good job.

I watched the race and have always disliked NASCAR on TNT. The picture quality was good but the production was bad. Plus I get sick of the same TNT commercials.

The only good thing is that I am actually watching HD from E*.

Ken

I watched the race and have always disliked NASCAR on TNT. The picture quality was good but the production was bad. Plus I get sick of the same TNT commercials.

The only good thing is that I am actually watching HD from E*.

Ken

I HATE THAT CLOSER COMMERCIAL..........:eek:

I'm not going to complain, It looks like I'm going to have to watch the chase races in SD on abc unless something happens real fast at KSPR 33 in Springfield Mo. It don't look very promising right now.

I used to be a big Nascar fan, I remember Pocono to be a snoozer of a race. Unless of course Hary Gant blows an engine and goes spinning in his own oil. Now that was cool.

AGREED WITH 100% Plus the only part on TNT I like is Larry Mac, everyone else sucks, Too bad we dont have B.P. anymore he did good!!!

I feel the same way. I miss the announcers on Fox. And I notice the PQ wasn't as good as FOX, too. And I have a 37" TV. So I can only imagine what you people with big screens PQ looked liked.

Of course, we should be able to catch it on HD-Net later on in the week. Will they get their feed from TNT? If so it might be worth watching.

I used to be a big Nascar fan, I remember Pocono to be a snoozer of a race. Unless of course Hary Gant blows an engine and goes spinning in his own oil. Now that was cool.

Wondering how many NASCAR fans actually know who Harry Gant is. :rolleyes:

Wondering how many NASCAR fans actually know who Harry Gant is. :rolleyes:

Well...here's one that remembers Harry...Mr. September! ;)

TNT-HD PQ was horrible...pixelation was out of control. I didn't think anything could get worse that NBC last year. I thought TNT was actually pretty decent last year...they always had better PQ than NBC, even though they used same equip...but that may have been issues with the local NBC affiliate as well.

As for announcers...I thought Kyle did a good job for the first time out in awhile. I'm just glad to be done with the Myers/Waltrip/Hammond Comedy (or lack thereof) Hour. (Dammit DW, could you PLEASE get over the "Boogity" bit before 08?!?)

""And I have a 37" TV. So I can only imagine what you people with big screens PQ looked liked.""

Heck. It wasn't that long ago when a 37" was considered a "big" screen. I remember when we got our first color Tv. Was a big magnavox consol with the radio, turntable, about 800 speakers. Took about 8 grown men to carry it.

I just remember that Pocono race back in 94 when Hoosier was also in the series, and it was one of those races where all the Hoosier teams were running away and nearly lapping all of the good year teams. Geoff Bodine was leading (as he always did that year when hoosier teams had the advantage) and Harry was in the top 5 when Kablammo! Shame it was near the end of the race too.

I just remember that Pocono race back in 94 when Hoosier was also in the series, and it was one of those races where all the Hoosier teams were running away and nearly lapping all of the good year teams. Geoff Bodine was leading (as he always did that year when hoosier teams had the advantage) and Harry was in the top 5 when Kablammo! Shame it was near the end of the race too.

All of that was back in the day before HD broadcast. IF you wanted "true" HD you had to go to the track. Racing was better back then anyways. But on to HD broadcast. TNT -Phew! Fox wasn't that great either. More commercials than race. SICK to death of listening to Darrell! NBC - not even going to go there.
CANNOT WAIT UNTIL ESPN returns!!

I'm not a big fan of TNT's HD coverage, and I didn't see the broadcast (since I was actually at Pocono on Sunday), but I think we have to cut them a little slack on this one. Nobody, not NASCAR or TNT or MRN had any clue what was going on. First it's raining, then it's sunny, then it's raining in turn 2, then the wind shifts and the whole storm comes back, and it goes on and on. You've got camera operators on giant boom lifts and rooftops in the middle of a thunderstorm, plus all kinds of exposed equipment, and nobody can tell you whether you're really going to have a broadcast.

The day itself was not conducive to good PQ (things didn't even look HD in person, if that's possible) so I can understand their problems there. NASCAR officials kept changing their story every 2 minutes, and it was quite interesting to hear the crew and commentator conversations during the commercial breaks. In their own words, they were "flying by seat of their pants," and the commentators were told to "just talk about something, anything." It was just a situation that you couldn't plan for, and I'll be interested to see if their broadcast is better on a normal Sunday afternoon.

Problem with TNTHD goes beyond Nascar, their NBA games were embarrasing too.

It's either stretchovision movies or sports with lackluster PQ and macroblocking. They really should be embarrased.

I guess I'll have to look closer next week, I did not notice any picture anomalies. I just re-peaked my D1000, maybe that helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts