National HD Channel Roll-Out Plans

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In yesterdays Wachovia Securities Conference Call. Mike Palcovic siad the following:

- the target is to get to 100 national HD channels this year - and most are scheduled for September launches. D10 is expected to be operational the beginning to mid-September.

- they in fact expect that they will indeed be at a minimum (HD National channels) of high 80's to low 90's in that timeframe

- D11 is now expected to launch in the first Q of 08 and operational by 2nd half of 08

- he clearly said that a 'significant' amount of the 100 targeted channels are already under contract or they already have an agreement in principle to carry.

- they will be adding all of the local channels in HD in lit markets - not just the 'big 4' anymore

- there will be no HD access price increase at least through 2007 - they want to see how powerful the demand is.

My take on this - the CFO of this public company has responded specifically to analysts questions with these answers. They have to be factual. We are not talking about things that are supposed to happen in 3 years anymore, but rather in 3 months. Detractors say what you want, it would be irresponsible and would incur liability to the company if these statements are false. I don't think they would put themselves in that kind of position. The people covering these calls are supposed to be 'industry experts'.

I would be interested to see what they mean by all locals in HD. Does that mean CW, PBS, my9, Univision, independents, etc. Not all are doing HD but rather just digital. At least they are addressing the other channels in the deployed markets.

My take on this - the CFO of this public company has responded specifically to analysts questions with these answers. They have to be factual. We are not talking about things that are supposed to happen in 3 years anymore, but rather in 3 months. Detractors say what you want, it would be irresponsible and would incur liability to the company if these statements are false. I don't think they would put themselves in that kind of position. The people covering these calls are supposed to be 'industry experts'.

HA,HA,HA,HA :haha :haha Your kidding right?

No one has ever defined for me just what an "agreement in principle" is. It seems to read something like "if we ever have an HD channel, you can carry it". That phrase has never given me warm fuzzies.

I would be interested to see what they mean by all locals in HD. Does that mean CW, PBS, my9, Univision, independents, etc. Not all are doing HD but rather just digital. At least they are addressing the other channels in the deployed markets.

Correct. If any channels other then the "Big 4" are in HD then DirecTV will carry it. So CW, PBS, etc. HD, not digital.

Doesn't help me in my market since things like the CW are just subchannels of the main networks.

Any idea when market #64 will get their locals in HD? That's the Charleston/Huntington WV market

In yesterdays Wachovia Securities Conference Call. Mike Palcovic siad the following:

- the target is to get to 100 national HD channels this year - and most are scheduled for September launches. D10 is expected to be operational the beginning to mid-September.

- they in fact expect that they will indeed be at a minimum (HD National channels) of high 80's to low 90's in that timeframe

- D11 is now expected to launch in the first Q of 08 and operational by 2nd half of 08

- he clearly said that a 'significant' amount of the 100 targeted channels are already under contract or they already have an agreement in principle to carry.

- they will be adding all of the local channels in HD in lit markets - not just the 'big 4' anymore

- there will be no HD access price increase at least through 2007 - they want to see how powerful the demand is.

Well, Scobuck, here are my questions.... True HD resolution or HD Lite? Bit rates that produce a vibrant HD pic or bit rates that create dull slop on my HD plasma screen?

I want to hear what the men that you named have to say about that. You say, these guys wouldn't put themselves in an awkward position? PROVE IT... ask them what kind of a "HD picture" they are going to put up using MPEG-4 technology, because I'm ready to pull the trigger and go with Directv right now this very second, if they are willing to sign the dotted line of legit MPEG 4 HD broadcasting!

Ask Mr. Palcovic these questions, and I'll listen for an answer! I want to sign up NOW!
But I'm tired of being played for a fool that can't tell the difference between a quality HD picture and HD Lite CRAP! Are we talking about 80-90 MPEG 4 channels that are luring people into fake-land? or are they going to be worthy of being called High Definition?

I'm listening!

:hungry:

Last edited:
Well, Scobuck, here are my questions.... True HD resolution or HD Lite? Bit rates that produce a vibrant HD pic or bit rates that create dull slop on my HD plasma screen?

I want to hear what the men that you named have to say about that. You say, these guys wouldn't put themselves in an awkward position? PROVE IT... ask them what kind of a "HD picture" they are going to put up using MPEG-4 technology, because I'm ready to pull the trigger and go with Directv right now this very second, if they are willing to sign the dotted line of legit MPEG 4 HD broadcasting!

Ask Mr. Palcovic these questions, and I'll listen for an answer! I want to sign up NOW!
But I'm tired of being played for a fool that can't tell the difference between a quality HD picture and HD Lite CRAP! Are we talking about 80-90 MPEG 4 channels that are luring people into fake-land? or are they going to be worthy of being called High Definition?

I'm listening!

My questions - why are YOU asking ME those questions to ask for YOU to HIM?

Why don't YOU ask HIM YOURSELF?

I'm listening!

My questions - why are YOU asking ME those questions to ask for YOU to HIM?

Why don't YOU ask HIM YOURSELF?

Waiting for your answers Spike ?????
Sco did not talk to these people himself, and you know it, why do yopu expect him to contact them ???

Jimbo

Truthfully, ScoBuck only can communicate to us what "others" had told him. Things in this industry seem to change all the time and no one knows with 100% accuracy whether plans will see the light of day at the end of the tunnel.

I think we have heard the same statements from the various executives at DirecTv. I even have some quotes on my signatures to remind me. Seriously, you cannot expect Scobuck or any moderator to take the fall here whether a plan is sucessful or not. Moderators here can only convey what they are told. We do not guaranteed that the plan will be implemented with be 100% accurate. No one can do that except for the company. Let's take it easy guys. We are to convey information of where things are heading. It is not an argument that any information posted will 100% accuracy at the end of tunnel. We can only report what we are listening at this point. I am sure Scobuck has made his check and balances and he thinks that this is the way things will be. It is all taking in good faith at this point but remember information can change very fast and very quick.

To Clarify:

The information I posted yesterday frojm Mike Palcovic is archved and availalbe for anyone to listen to at:
DirecTV - Investor Relations - Investor Relation Home

It is taken from the Wachovia Securites Conference Call, which occurred live on Wednesday 6/27.

My role is to post credible info as I find it - it is not to guarantee its future accuracy. My reply regarding the credibility of the info from this conference call refers strctly to the fact that this is a call required by the SEC to provide info for investors and there in fact is liablilty if the info is false in nature, misleading, etc.

I just have to believe that an individual in Mr. Palcovic's position would not jeopardize his future on this matter. As we know, the satellite and cable industry in fact is very highly watched and scrutinized on a daily basis. Obvious mis-statements and the like will be reported immediately. For these reasons alone, I put faith in his statements from the call. Again remember, he is talking about things scheduled to occur in 90 days - NOT 3 YEARS from now. They are either already in place or his remarks are LIES. Choose whichever YOU want. I believe him.

I had wondered why I had been seeing less and less of the commercials lately where direct is touting it will be bringing " up to 150 " additional hd channels by the end of the year. While I had worked for E in the past and had them for my television Im currently a charter sub ( prisoner of piss poor programming ) and am in the market for a dbs provider than can deliver an affordable hd package and sd package. If Direct can do it and its affordable ( meaning that they arent going to rape the customer and the additional hd coverage coming isnt just more locals and some crappy rsn's ) then I will go with them but if not then E will be getting my money again.

I'm listening!

Well since it's widely known that most of the MPEG4 HD locals look nearly identical (most people can't tell the difference) to their OTA counterparts I'd say all the new HD in MPEG4 has a bright future in terms of PQ. :)

One week to go until launch of DIRECTV10. 10 weeks (Sept 15) until expected commerical usage light-up.

I will be reaching out to my contact later today to see if he has any new tid-bits for me that I can share.

:hungry: Bring it on! We are hungry! :hungry:

Well since it's widely known that most of the MPEG4 HD locals look nearly identical (most people can't tell the difference) to their OTA counterparts I'd say all the new HD in MPEG4 has a bright future in terms of PQ. :)

Well, except for the pixelation, occassional screen tearing, framerate stuttering, and lip synch issues and other audio problems many subs are sitll experiencing on their mpeg 4 locals compared to a strong OTA signal.....let's hope the national mpeg4s have less issues.

Well, except for the pixelation, occassional screen tearing, framerate stuttering, and lip synch issues and other audio problems many subs are sitll experiencing on their mpeg 4 locals compared to a strong OTA signal.....let's hope the national mpeg4s have less issues.

In all honesty, those issues have long since disappeared (except as a very rare occurence) in NY. Even YES-HD and SNY-HD have great PQ, and don't have that slow-motion movie effect any more.

The new encoders seem to be working fine here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts