Native mode: on or off

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

btedford

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
On my DirecTV HR-23, 700, in the HDTV menu in Settings, I have the option to have native on or off. I have a question, is it better to have native on or off?

It's whatever you think looks better.

I have a 52" 1080p TV and I think the TV does a better job of upconverting the signal that the HD DVR. If my HD DVR has native off and I have the HD DVR box set to output 1080i, the HD DVR will upconvert a 720p signal to 1080i and then my TV will upconvert the 1080i signal to 1080p. I have native mode on so the 720p signal goes to the TV without any conversion and then the TV can upconvert to 1080p. With less upconverting with native mode on and a better upconverting electronics in my TV, I prefer to have native on.

With an older HDTV set the HD DVR might do a better job of upconverting the signal.

Having native mode on does slow down the time it takes to change stations. I prefer it for the same reason as the last poster.

it takes a bit more time because the box is deciding what res the program is broadcast in and changing the box output to that rez, a second at most, but sometimes there is a black screen/flicker that can be annoying, but i too prefer it on for the up converting process done by the tv.

So Native "ON" allows the box to pass the signal on to the TV to do the conversion ?
I always get confused as to if it's on or off to pass the signal to the TV and let the TV do it.
I prefer to have the TV do the conversion, but also don't like the addl. time it takes to change channels, it takes too long as it is.

Jimbo

Since I don't channel surf and because my TV does a better job at conversion, I have Native ON. But when I do change a channel with live TV, the delay to me is no worse than with it OFF.

Since I don't channel surf and because my TV does a better job at conversion, I have Native ON. But when I do change a channel with live TV, the delay to me is no worse than with it OFF.

Unfortunatly , they delay with it on for me is a noticeable difference, other wise I would definitely let the Pioneer Elite do the conversion.

Unfortunatly , they delay with it on for me is a noticeable difference, other wise I would definitely let the Pioneer Elite do the conversion.

That is my problem with it as well. My panny does a better job, but the delay is more than I want to deal with. It is just annoying to me. Others may not care as much

What looks ugly to me with native on is that some channels change resolution and format when going to various commercials in the middle of the show. One of my tv's seems to handle this pretty well. The other one blanks the screen, spazzes out for about a second and then locks onto the new format, then does it again when the show comes back on.

Native off.

Directv recommends that you leave the native setting off. If you want to change the resolution from 720p to 1080i use the format button on the remote.

That is my problem with it as well. My panny does a better job, but the delay is more than I want to deal with. It is just annoying to me. Others may not care as much

Fortunatly our TV's do a fantastic job with any reasonable signal :up

Directv recommends that you leave the native setting off. If you want to change the resolution from 720p to 1080i use the format button on the remote.

That would be the Company line that the rec'rs do a better job than the TV's.

While that is true on many sets, some of use have very high Dollar and High Quality equipment that we would rather let our sets do the conversions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.