Native Resolution Pass Through

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Do the Direct Tv HD Receivers have Native Resolution Pass Through??

Explain what the native resolution does. I do not remember if I have mine turned on or not.

Explain what the native resolution does. I do not remember if I have mine turned on or not.

You can force your HD Receiver to put out 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i, no matter what the signal is coming in.

For example:

Espn broadcasts in 720p, but if you have your receiver set to 1080i, and it will out put to your T.V. at 1080i. (Just because it is upconverting, does not mean it is a better picture).

Native resolution takes the signal at what it comes in at and sends it to your T.V. at that same resolution.

You can force your HD Receiver to put out 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i, no matter what the signal is coming in.

For example:

Espn broadcasts in 720p, but if you have your receiver set to 1080i, and it will out put to your T.V. at 1080i. (Just because it is upconverting, does not mean it is a better picture).

Native resolution takes the signal at what it comes in at and sends it to your T.V. at that same resolution.

So if the Native is "ON" then the D* box does the work and if it is "OFF" your TV does the conversions.
I personally like it "OFF" so that my TV gets the signal the way it's sent out from the network (station) so I can watch the show the way it was intended to be seen.

Jimbo

one little gotcha there.... if you want it to pass all resolutions, 480i 480p 720p and 1080i,,,, and your tv is capable of decoding those resolutions you need to enable those resolutions under the tv resolutions tab,,,, at least that is how to do it on the hr20-700

one little gotcha there.... if you want it to pass all resolutions, 480i 480p 720p and 1080i,,,, and your tv is capable of decoding those resolutions you need to enable those resolutions under the tv resolutions tab,,,, at least that is how to do it on the hr20-700

correct :up

Jimbo

Native pass-thru question

Reading this thread and believe I understand, but just need to confirm with someone who knows something :)

I have my Amino STB/PVR set for 1080i for hi-def channels. Resolution is great for the hi-def channels. Only problem is when I change channel to standard def channels. The resolution with those channels isn't so good anymore. I noticed the change when I upgraded to the "high-def" STB.

"Hardware settings" within Amino STB has a box I can check to "enable native pass through" ..... I think I understand that native refers to native resolution and that the Amino can convert the incoming signal to whatever .... like incoming 480 converted to 1080. Is this why the standard def channels don't look as clear as before? So, I am wondering if I enable native pass-thru, will that ensure that the incoming 480 signal will just be sent to TV as is ..... and no conversion through STB? I would think that would give me a better standard def picture.

I go back and forth with enabling, and I think the better picture for my standard def channels is when native pass-thru is not enabled ..... makes no sense then.

Thanks for any clarification. :D

So if the Native is "ON" then the D* box does the work and if it is "OFF" your TV does the conversions.
I personally like it "OFF" so that my TV gets the signal the way it's sent out from the network (station) so I can watch the show the way it was intended to be seen.

Jimbo

You have the idea right, you just have ON and OFF backwards. When native is ON, the box outputs the native res of the channel and your set does the work.

When native is OFF, your box outputs at the res you have selected. Be it 720/1080/ect

I will say that native ON makes for slower channel changes since the box changes to the correct res output for the particular channel

Thanks for the information everyone. Especially the tip on changing channels quicker. What I found was by only having 1080i and 1080p selected and took native off. I can now change channels very quickly going through my AV receiver Onkyo 876. My Onkyo also does a up convert to 1080p so by matching input from my HR20-700 with the Onkyo output everything is fast.
Good tip

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts