Native resolution passthrough?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My whole sentiment, and reason for starting this thread, was the fact that I am not able to seamlessly watch SD and HD programming if I want true OAR. In that regard, I have to agree with a few of the previous posts and, ultimately, what I want to see is simply SD being passed as 480p and HD being passed as 1080i (or a menu-set resolution). Anything beyond this, such as the 1080i/1080p/720p idea, I feel, is just a bonus.

If Dish can implement the SD/HD passthrough, I'd be satisfied.

I have it with DIRECTV and it isn't all its cracked up to be. It takes several seconds to synch the picture each time you change to a sd station to hd and vice a versa. THe normal time is around 3-4 seconds for a picture to come up when you change stations without native resolution and mpeg 4 and when you use it it takes anywhere from 6 - 7 seconds for the picture to synch up. While the picture is changing the screen goes different colors from purple to green and then black then a picture. THis seems to long for me so I don't use it and keep the picture on 1080i.

That behavior can be attributed to your model of television or particular receiver.

I've seen other equipment (some of which I previously owned) implement this feature, with my current display without a very noticable effect. I understand the complexity of supporting several resolutions, and I understand if that isn't pursued. I would, however, hope offering a SD/HD passthrough to be a feasible request.

Glad to see this thread resurface. I'm assuming that 4.49 doesn't do anything for this. As TheTony said, it's all about OAR of SD (4:3) vs. HD (16x9). I figure the TV can/should do all the converting - just send it the right signal. This will always be an issue for those of us with 4:3 CRT HDTVs.

My whole sentiment, and reason for starting this thread, was the fact that I am not able to seamlessly watch SD and HD programming if I want true OAR. In that regard, I have to agree with a few of the previous posts and, ultimately, what I want to see is simply SD being passed as 480p and HD being passed as 1080i (or a menu-set resolution). Anything beyond this, such as the 1080i/1080p/720p idea, I feel, is just a bonus.

If Dish can implement the SD/HD passthrough, I'd be satisfied.

Why can't you see HD and SD in OAR? Using the normal setting on the 622, HD channels are 16x9 and Sd is 4x3 with black bars, so all OAR. I'm guessing your saying you'd rather have your TV apply the bars rather than the STB.

And what would our TVs do with 1440x1080? :)

I also have a CRT (34XBR960) that is perfectly capable of natively displaying 480/720/1080. SD content would look so much better if it were not upconverted to 1080. Alas, it seems I have been waiting for this feature since I brought home my 622 (and I had one of the first ones).

I also have a CRT (34XBR960) that is perfectly capable of natively displaying 480/720/1080. SD content would look so much better if it were not upconverted to 1080. Alas, it seems I have been waiting for this feature since I brought home my 622 (and I had one of the first ones).

Are you sure it would look better at 480i? Granted the 622 upconversion may not be the best, but the elimination of scanlines at 1080 is a big plus when watching SD content.

I figure that the circuits on my Pioneer plasma are way better than the 622.
I set my 622 to 1080i, let it pass to Plasma. I then defer to plasma to change signal to its capacity. Seems to work better with less scan issues.

Well, since nothing is and probably never will be broadcast in 1080p, it wouldn't serve any purpose, would it?

Sure it would, if the 622 would output 1080p, then my TVs would get the 1080i channels (de-interlaced) and also get the 720p channels (up-scaled) all in full resolution without the delay of the TV re-syncing when changing channels as it would with native passthrough. Those of you with 720p TVs have this benefit by setting the sat box to 720p but those of us with 1080p TVs have to manually change the output resolution to match the selected channel for the best picture.

And what would our TVs do with 1440x1080? :)

Zing! :)

As I already mentioned, I don't need a bunch of flavors of native HD passthrough, though I wouldn't complain. 1080i and 480p are perfectly alright - it's really more about SD/HD - for me, anyway. And you're right about OAR - I prefer my display to do the processing. Also very valid is the point noted by several others with 4x3 displays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)