native setting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

robert

Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
When I select native setting ( all four lines lit ), I cannot receive channel 101 through 122 ( and two local OTA channels). Needless to say, when I choose the red/orange setting that will give me the channels listed above, other channels are distorted. Can anyone help ? I need to add: I have had voom for several months and it worked as it should ( using native setting ) but just in the past few days did the problem discussed in this letter appear. bob

Your Tv must only do 1080i and those channels are is 720 P for now ( thats what I have read ) so you need to select native setting only for the top line instead of all 4 lines

That's right. Switch to 1080i fixed resolution mode and you will be fine.

Ilya said:
That's right. Switch to 1080i fixed resolution mode and you will be fine.

The problem with this is you are forced to take the STB's conversion of SD channels. Everyone who has a 1080i display also has the ability to receive 720p signals. The STB is flawed in some way. I also have a 1080i display, and I would really like to set the STB to native, but can't. I had cable HD awhile ago, and when I set the box to 720p or native, it worked fine. I don't know if V* can fix this problem, or if they've ever acknowledged it exists.

Not all TVs can handle 720p. Most RPTVs cannot display 720p natively. Some of them convert it to 1080i, others downconvert it to lower resolutions. And some cannot handle it all. Whether the problem with 720p is caused by the TV set or by the STB, the solution for now (for robert and others) is to switch to 1080i fixed.

I included the following request in the "Whish list" for future versions: a "semi-native" mode where only 720p is converted to 1080i and SD is not.

But shouldn't these RPTVs and my CRT TV, which upconvert 720p, be able to handle a 720p signal sent from the STB? That is why I think the STB is flawed, b/c it happens to almost everyone with a fixed 1080i.

cyuhnke,
The problem you are talking about seems to be specific to certain TV sets. My Sony GWIII does not have any problems with the STB in 720p or Native modes. If you are sure that your TV set can handle 720p, this must be some compatibility issue. Are you using DVI or Component?

Everyone who has a 1080i display also has the ability to receive 720p signals.
This is not true, as others have noted. Signals at 720p require a 45kHz scan rate, which is more costly to support than 1080i. Most newer CRT televisions will convert 720p to 1080i or 480p, whereas older sets will not accept, display, or convert a 720p signal at all.

I am using DVI. I have tried setting it to 720p on a HD cable STB and it worked fine. My model is less than a year old. It converts 720p to 1080i. Everything lower to 540p. I have never tried to use component cables w/V*, and did use component w/cable. I am not interested in trying component with V* b/c I don't think the picture is good. I guess it is just a compatibility issue. The display I'm having trouble with is a Toshiba 30HF83.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)