NBC 103

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Have they then completely turned off AMC 1 or it still active on 103.°0W?

I believe they've completely turned off the transponders. According to the Microspace website, it's almost out of fuel. When it gets too low, they are obligated to drop it into the atmosphere so it doesn't become space junk.

Reactions: Babadem
The C-Band switchover from AMC-1 to SES-3 took place this morning and AMC-1 was then switched off. As of this morning all traffic on 103W is coming from SES-3.

Reactions: Babadem
For geostationary satellites, it requires a big burst of fuel to deorbit and crash back to Earth, roughly 1,500 meters per second. In contrast, boosting that same satellite up to the graveyard orbit only takes a change of velocity of 11 meters per second. Alas, a satellite needs to do more than go fast to make it to the satellite graveyard — changing orbits also requires functional attitude controls, which not every aging satellite can pull off with grace.

By now, it's standard practice to retire old satellites in stable storage orbits 300 kilometers above the functional high geosynchronous orbits. It's a retirement home for elderly spacecraft, where they can admire the view and shuffle around peacefully without constantly having young whippersnapper satellites dodging around them. Best of all, it has a nice, healthy buffer between it and the functional satellites, so even if a retired satellite gets a bit wonky in its orbit, it won't go staggering into active traffic without warning.
source: http://space.io9.com/where-do-satellites-go-to-die-1572821932 / Where Do Satellites Go To Die?

AMC1 is not going to the bone yards yet. It is authorized to be moved to 129.15w and operated in an inclined orbit. AMC1 could operate in the inclined orbit for many more years as it requires much less fuel to maintain the position.
https://www.fcc.gov/document/satellite-application-grants-140

Should be able to track the beacon frequency as the satellite moves into the new position using a USB SDR / DVB-T dongle or spectrum analyzer.
Call sign:
S2445
Beacon(s): 3700.5V, 4199.5H, 12198H

Reactions: FaT Air and KE4EST
Just rescanned 103w and not much of a difference. The beach cams still come in at 74% and NBC/Cozi bounces from 0 to 55%.
Kind've a bummer

:)Oh, Goody! I got SES-3 on Ku to work. Most interesting I found was that almost everything I had for channels have changed from H to V. NBC is coming in very well now.:)75-79

I bet because of the crazy skew your LNBF/Receiver combo got confused and had everything logged in on the wrong polarity.
Glad to hear you got it going. :)

A ok after I turned the LNBF on the primestar.
0610150931-00.jpg

Looks like this winter was too tough on my motorized dish, I had it locked on 97 all winter.

Last night I tried moving it over to 103 and went outside to see my dish pointed at the ground. Seems like the new DMSI Motor I got last year gave way and there is nothing but slack in it unless I turn it to the left and then it runs find however if I try going to 103 again it again just falls over.

Scott next time you are shopping just order you a STAB and be done with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts