NBC DVB-S2 Feeds on AMC1 Ku

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emuman100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have a list of transponder info on the NBC DVB-S2 feeds, the national feeds, like east, central, etc? I have pulled in 12000 H 30000 5/6 8PSK pilot on and got 4 channels, but the east and central labeled channels seem like they are the same video feed. I'm using a coolsat 8000 receiver which works like crap, but does work with DVB-S2.

Thanks.

I don't have the TP info handy, but as far as I can tell they are all the same programs on different transponders.

Each one has:

East
Central
Mountain
Pacific
Universal Sports

And the reason you see the same programming is, well, because sometimes they run the same thing at the same time in different timezones...it really is simple as that...:D

I've not seen a difference in programming on any of the TP's. Someone else may have, so if there is, I could be wrong. I have been before...:D

It's another modulation scheme, Dee. One that most ordinary free to air receivers can't pick up. Like trying to get AM on our FM radios lol. Well, maybe thats not a good analogy, but serves the purpose. They're beginning to make more receivers that will pick that S-2 signal variety up, but they're pricey. (mostly in HD receivers for now).
For me , not enough stuff to worry about in S2 yet to cry over.

Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2

What we are watching now with our standard definition receivers is DVB-S..there's all kind of wrinkles to digital broadcasting.

The main reason the broadcasters are switching to DVB-S2 is because it allows them to transmit more data using the same transponder space, or the same amount of data and use less transponder space. DVB-S2 also includes MPEG-4 as part of the standard, making it easier to use. The disadvantage of DVB-S2 is the requirement of a higher signal to noise ratio (larger dish or more broadcast power).

Oh... Ok. Thank you. So it's new stuff I don't need to worry about just yet, I guess..

Thank guys, y'all are awesome smart! :)

I noticed just today, no signal on 11760 or 12000, but both the old TPs were hot:
11840 and 11880
H
DVB-S2
5/6
Pilot On

AMC1

... DVB-S2 also includes MPEG-4 as part of the standard, making it easier to use. The disadvantage of DVB-S2 is the requirement of a higher signal to noise ratio (larger dish or more broadcast power).
I wouldn't do that mix as strong relation. In reality the video compression algorithm using in both standards: DVB-S and DVB-S2 ( from Wiki "The development of DVB-S2 coincided with the introduction of HDTV and H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video codecs.").
Second phrase would be correct when we're talking about highest modulation schemes, like 8PSK and 16/32APSK; while is not true with DVB-S2 QPSK.

I noticed just today, no signal on 11760 or 12000, but both the old TPs were hot:
11840 and 11880
H
DVB-S2
5/6
Pilot On

AMC1

The Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer shows signals on all of them. I'm still unable to lock them on my 7 1/2 foot KTI mesh dish or my 90 cm Fortec dish. I think the signals on AMC 1 are weaker here in Northern California.

What's weird, is I usually get the 12000 TP no problem Q74 on the AZBox.
Today, hardly a blip, but the 11880 TP is now at Q74.
:)

AMC1 KU has the oddball skew. Its 25 degrees OPPOSITE what it should be

The skew looks like what it would be for 74W (H2)

I took a 84e Primetsar dish and skewed it "properly" for 103W and picked up all 3 TP"s with the CS8000

I've tried every skew angle possible and tried peaking the dish just for AMC 1 ku. But still no luck. Neither dish seems to have the gain necessary to lock those signals here on the West coast. I can lock the Cband signal on AMC 18, so it's not that big of a deal though.

Is it safe to say that 4.2.2 is going away here in the states?

No.

Some new DVB-S2 signals are 4:2:2. A 4:2:2 DVB-S2 HD signal takes some Horsepower to process, lemme tell you...

Plus a lot of sports will still be in 4:2:2 for the near future IMO. The way I understand it, it has too many advantages in that it helps PQ without increasing bitrate, increasing bitrate costs uplinkers money....so....:)

Originally Posted by qwert1515
... DVB-S2 also includes MPEG-4 as part of the standard, making it easier to use. The disadvantage of DVB-S2 is the requirement of a higher signal to noise ratio (larger dish or more broadcast power).

I wouldn't do that mix as strong relation. In reality the video compression algorithm using in both standards: DVB-S and DVB-S2 ( from Wiki "The development of DVB-S2 coincided with the introduction of HDTV and H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) video codecs.").

Yeah, I'd say that 90% of the MPEG4/H.264 channels I watch are on regular DVB-S transponders. I think that the relationship between MPEG4 and DVB-S2 is only coincidental in that there was a search for ways of squeezing more data into the bandwidth. It makes more sense that the DVB-S2 standard might mention MPEG4, and the DVB-S standard didn't, just because the MPEG4 probably wasn't around when the DVB-S standard was developed, but DVB-S is perfectly compatable with MPEG4. I don't see why it would be any harder to put MPEG-4 on DVB-S, unless the encoder wasn't able to insert the "1B" or whatever the character identifying the video as MPEG4 is.

Not getting them here on my AZBOX but getting 100% strength on those transponders but 0 quality.

Getting about 52% quality on other transponders on this bird like Pentagon Channel. (with a 98% quality.

Anything I am doing wrong?

Horizontal
DVB-S2/qpsk (Tried DVB-s2/8PSK as well)
Fec 5/6
Pilot 1

Same settings for 11880, 12000 and all the other freqs listed in this thread as well.

Any advice?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)